PDA

View Full Version : Please Read.

sirstopher
09-10-2012, 05:06 PM
I have asked the admins to provide our own section under this forum for a DIY section. I would move other DIY and mods into this section allowing for a easy find for new users as well as our own section. It would basically be a sub forum here.

I want to be able to somewhat code the headings for easy search engine findings.

Like:

E65/66 - oil change
E65/66 - fix for L7 amp
E65/66 - MMI upgrade
E65/66 - Aux input
E65/66 - HID upgrade

Ect. This will move some of the stickies that bunch up the main e65/66 section

I would like to know your thoughts pros and cons. It may move some linked post but allow a better section for all of the questions that are asked on a regular basis.

Our current DIY section is shared with all 7 series owners. This has been one of my goals for moderation.

Please post your thoughts as they are important to me.

Chris

First_745Li
09-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Chris,
I think it's a great idea. The stickies currently takes up 1/2 of the main page.

First_745Li
09-10-2012, 05:36 PM
In addition maybe add a comment or advisory that users should use the search function first before posting a new thread. Too often we see the same topic popping up as a new thread. Just my two cents.

1bad540
09-10-2012, 05:45 PM
sounds like a great idea, lots of Diy's that have been long lost.:thumbup:

sirstopher
09-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Yes, I see things like the DIY to add the SMD to the wheel and it drives me mad.

I have already made the request, just need your input.

I am open to all suggestions

csmeance
09-10-2012, 07:01 PM
I have asked the admins to provide our own section under this forum for a DIY section. I would move other DIY and mods into this section allowing for a easy find for new users as well as our own section. It would basically be a sub forum here.

I want to be able to somewhat code the headings for easy search engine findings.

Like:

E65/66 - oil change
E65/66 - fix for L7 amp
E65/66 - MMI upgrade
E65/66 - Aux input
E65/66 - HID upgrade

Ect. This will move some of the stickies that bunch up the main e65/66 section

I would like to know your thoughts pros and cons. It may move some linked post but allow a better section for all of the questions that are asked on a regular basis.

Our current DIY section is shared with all 7 series owners. This has been one of my goals for moderation.

Please post your thoughts as they are important to me.

Chris

Rather than make it a convoluted system of sorting, it should be seperate sub-forums

1. Problems & Fixes
2. Aesthetic Modifications (exterior)
3. Programming
4. DIY (like specific guides that can be linked from the other sections)
and then the general section for the E65/66

sirstopher
09-10-2012, 07:16 PM
It may become something like this in the future but we have two moderators for this section and I also don't want to burry threads so members don't reply to certain sections.

Input is key.

That is one of the drawbacks I really don't want to happen. Right now we have this great melting pot of topics, we have the daily " see my ride" threads and the more important ones that educate members about their cars and all the latest and greatest.

I am stuck right here. I defiantly don't want to push people in the "nobody goes there area". Nor do I want to create one.

Great idea, I would love a huge library of items that just pertain to our cars.

It would be great to creat a ongoing PDF of all of these updates.

Any more?

Like some input from the techies!!!!!

csmeance
09-10-2012, 07:40 PM
It may become something like this in the future but we have two moderators for this section and I also don't want to burry threads so members don't reply to certain sections.

Input is key.

That is one of the drawbacks I really don't want to happen. Right now we have this great melting pot of topics, we have the daily " see my ride" threads and the more important ones that educate members about their cars and all the latest and greatest.

I am stuck right here. I defiantly don't want to push people in the "nobody goes there area". Nor do I want to create one.

Great idea, I would love a huge library of items that just pertain to our cars.

It would be great to creat a ongoing PDF of all of these updates.

Any more?

Like some input from the techies!!!!!

That is quite understandable; what can be done instead is this and requires very little moderation besides adding topics:

Basically we can have our General E65/66 section and what I call a "garage" or "Database". You can see an example of it here:

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701842

also you can poke around there and see other stuff and how it's run bc it's been a very sucessful method of moderation since I've been there from 2006

sirstopher
09-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Wow, over 15,000 post....impressed. Love the angel eyes also.

Is see the point to name the section just not DIY but something that pertains to a wide spectrum.

Thank you.

Suri [TBR]
09-11-2012, 04:21 PM
I love the idea Chris!

Db750
09-11-2012, 06:51 PM
I think this is a great idea. Although I don't own my e65 anymore I still take great interest in this forum because I believe it has one of the best groups of BMW owners and enthusiast on the web; a group of guys that I would love to hang out with if we were closer together.

I would like to post a link to the e60 M5 section on M5 board. As someone who was researching these cars nearly a year ago the stickies on this page answered almost every question I had about the car. There will always be people who are new to forums and will not know to search and check the stickies, but for someone like me this setup worked.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/

Stickies that helped me were the All things warranty, aftermarket performance, master DIY thread, FAQ, and the pointers to new comers. These threads were not created by one man; they are a compilation of many informative posts linked up in one. For me this is the most simple solution to organize this board. I think we definately need a DIY sticky. I would also like to see a "looking to buy" sticky. I think the angel eye sticky that we currently have has helped tremendously.

Also, I would like to point out the amout of work sirstopher (Chris) has put into this board. This man is dedicated to making this board a better, more friendly, fun, and informative place, and in my opinion he is doing a damn good job.

***CCCP***
09-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Great idea Chris. Its bout time to organize all this. Plus sticky * what to look for when buying new 7* is a must. I bet we have more then 100 threads on this subject. I used to replay to those. Cant do it everyday.

sirstopher
09-11-2012, 07:34 PM
I think this is a great idea. Although I don't own my e65 anymore I still take great interest in this forum because I believe it has one of the best groups of BMW owners and enthusiast on the web; a group of guys that I would love to hang out with if we were closer together.

I would like to post a link to the e60 M5 section on M5 board. As someone who was researching these cars nearly a year ago the stickies on this page answered almost every question I had about the car. There will always be people who are new to forums and will not know to search and check the stickies, but for someone like me this setup worked.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/

Stickies that helped me were the All things warranty, aftermarket performance, master DIY thread, FAQ, and the pointers to new comers. These threads were not created by one man; they are a compilation of many informative posts linked up in one. For me this is the most simple solution to organize this board. I think we definately need a DIY sticky. I would also like to see a "looking to buy" sticky. I think the angel eye sticky that we currently have has helped tremendously.

Also, I would like to point out the amout of work sirstopher (Chris) has put into this board. This man is dedicated to making this board a better, more friendly, fun, and informative place, and in my opinion he is doing a damn good job.

That's a great idea. Never thought to just have a couple stickies that cover all the DIY, mods, ect.

I still think we need to have our own DIY section that we put these write ups into but sticky a master thread.