PDA

View Full Version : xDrive28i Fuel Economy?

Reedo302
09-11-2012, 09:41 AM
What kind of real world fuel economy are you guys getting from the xDrive28i?
I drive freeway to and from work at 65-75mph. Wondering what I'll see for MPG. It sounds like 8th gear was designed for these freeway cruising speeds.

JIM2013X1
09-11-2012, 11:16 AM
I got 26 combined my first two weeks, but decided to try the EcoPro setting to and from work (36 miles total) for the following two weeks and see if there is a noted difference. Driving performance is greatly reduced with the EcoPro, so hope I make it.

empfader
09-11-2012, 01:29 PM
According to the trip computer, after 1200 miles the car is averaging 28 MPG in mixed driving (10% city 90% highway). The trip computer seems to be accurate when compared to calculations I made after filling up. I used ECO PRO 95% of the time, which also made the break in period a little easier to handle. During a 300 mile road trip this past weekend I averaged just under 32 MPG highway (65-75 miles per hour average).

gbazinet
09-23-2012, 08:16 AM
i average 9.1l/100km, semi city/highway

Reedo302
09-24-2012, 09:06 AM
So, 25.8 MPG

investor27
09-25-2012, 06:26 AM
I consistently get 33.1 mpg on the highway. With Eco Pro mode on I get more than that at 70 mph. Pushing to 75 mph drops it down to 30-31 mpg, which is a big difference. In my experience, Eco Pro mode's power reduction on the freeways is hardly noticeable since you have so much torque available to you at lower rpm 1250. Whenever I need to pass someone with my Eco Pro mode engaged, I'll zoom right by them. Everyone was challenging me during this past weekend's 150 miles trip. But no one succeeded.

JIM2013X1
09-25-2012, 06:56 AM
I got 26 combined my first two weeks, but decided to try the EcoPro setting to and from work (36 miles total) for the following two weeks and see if there is a noted difference. Driving performance is greatly reduced with the EcoPro, so hope I make it.

UPDATE: Two weeks of driving with EcoPro (80% of the time) and to me, not worth it at all. I saved a total of 5 miles and doing the $/gallon math, the .80 I saved I probably could have found under the seat! It really takes away the spirited driving experience and isn't that why we buy BMWs??? Maybe on a long highway trip, but not for everyday driving.

HotRodW
09-25-2012, 07:29 AM
UPDATE: Two weeks of driving with EcoPro (80% of the time) and to me, not worth it at all. I saved a total of 5 miles and doing the $/gallon math, the .80 I saved I probably could have found under the seat! It really takes away the spirited driving experience and isn't that why we buy BMWs??? Maybe on a long highway trip, but not for everyday driving.

Just goes to show you how some of this is eco technology is little more than marketing BS. Does it help? Maybe a little. But at what cost to the driving experience? I had a BMW CA tell me that with my driving mix of mostly highway miles, I should easily achieve mid- to upper- 30's in EcoPro mode. Ha! So far it's averaging less than 27. I have another 400 mile road trip tomorrow so I'll check it again, but I'm not expecting it to deviate much from my current average.

My Forester, rated at 20/26 and with the aerodynamics of a brick, averaged 25 to 26 on the same driving cycle at similar or even higher speeds. -- That's with 25% more engine displacement and half the gear ratios (yep - a 4-speed auto)! And I would flog that thing to merge into 75 mph traffic while the X1 requires no such treatment. It simply doesn't compute.

Wolfex
09-25-2012, 08:16 AM
Maybe you all will see better gas mileage as we head into fall. There will be less A/C usage and less ethanol mixes.

bimmerized
09-25-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm getting about 26 MPG on average with a mix of 80% freeway (some light traffic) / 20% city driving and driving an average of 75 MPH on the freeway when possible.

EPA estimates for the 2.8 sDrive seem like a stretch, but I'm getting exactly what I predicted based on the MPG rating of the F30. I knew that the X1 couldn't get as good mileage based on the Cd of 0.33 vs 0.29 and a larger frontal area. I heard that the F30 rating was decreased by the EPA to its current rate, so if the X1 ended up better than rated, it would have been a bonus.

DragonBMW2012
09-26-2012, 07:14 AM
I agree with many of the points above. I'm getting about 25/26 with the mixture of city/highway and found the same issue with EcoPro. I think the MPG on the sticker is absolutely a stretch. I think the point about air conditioning is fair - we'll see what happens with the fall arriving.

I still feel good about the numbers though. I hit 27 on a trip to New Hampshire and that same trip with my Infiniti EX35 would have only achieved 23 (maybe). And the city number for that car was ugly (17). I just did two trips back and forth with a lot of stop and go on a small road and got 24. So I'm averagine 5 - 7 MPG more in the X1 - so this is a win for me!

stary
09-26-2012, 07:30 AM
first tank was 24 and that was mixed freeway and some "spirited" driving

bimmerized
09-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Regarding ECO-Pro Mode. Most of the fuel savings is earned by encouraging the driver to maintain a higher gear. This works by decreasing response to accelerator position. When acceleration is called for through judicious use of the acelerator, it will down shift more than one ratio at a time, so the change is quite abrupt, unlike the gradual down shifts that can be elicited in D Mode. That meter that shows how much fuel you saved is bogus because it has to be relative to how you would have driven in D/S/Man mode, but there lies the falicy. The reality is, throttle positions were as such due to being in EcoPro and would not have been as such if driven in D. The bottom line is that EcoPro can help you drive slow, but you can acheive nearly the same economy in D if you have good self control.

Other than gearing and potentially the limited use of the A/C, how else can EcoPro conserve fuel in the X1?

HotRodW
09-26-2012, 06:32 PM
I logged another 400 miles behind the wheel today. Average speed was a bit lower than my last road trip, and consequently fuel mileage was marginally better at 27.4 mpg calculated (27.3 per computer), with minimal stop and go driving. EcoPro mode has shown to be of little advantage so far. Not only is throttle response retarded, but the cabin comfort is reduced as the computer maximizes the HVAC system's efficiency. I did allow the auto stop to function normally since it rarely activated. I guess it's nice to have the option to use these systems, but I'm glad BMW is letting it up to us to decide whether or not to use them. I'm afraid the day will come when we no longer have the choice.

On a side note, at 1,000 miles I'm disappointed to report my cruise control is now malfunctioning. The "set" function isn't working, so I have to use the "accelerate" or "decelerate" features to set the speed, and the "resume" features isn't working at all. I also can't figure out how to stop the radio from defaulting to AM, when I don't listen to AM and even tuned to a single AM station. Even if I'm listening to Sirius before switching to CD, it automatically goes back to AM when I select radio. Any ideas?

And while I'm ranting, how is it possible that a $45,000 vehicle doesn't have a sunglasses holder???????

JIM2013X1
09-27-2012, 02:40 AM
I logged another 400 miles behind the wheel today. Average speed was a bit lower than my last road trip, and consequently fuel mileage was marginally better at 27.4 mpg calculated (27.3 per computer), with minimal stop and go driving. EcoPro mode has shown to be of little advantage so far. Not only is throttle response retarded, but the cabin comfort is reduced as the computer maximizes the HVAC system's efficiency. I did allow the auto stop to function normally since it rarely activated. I guess it's nice to have the option to use these systems, but I'm glad BMW is letting it up to us to decide whether or not to use them. I'm afraid the day will come when we no longer have the choice.

On a side note, at 1,000 miles I'm disappointed to report my cruise control is now malfunctioning. The "set" function isn't working, so I have to use the "accelerate" or "decelerate" features to set the speed, and the "resume" features isn't working at all. I also can't figure out how to stop the radio from defaulting to AM, when I don't listen to AM and even tuned to a single AM station. Even if I'm listening to Sirius before switching to CD, it automatically goes back to AM when I select radio. Any ideas?

And while I'm ranting, how is it possible that a $45,000 vehicle doesn't have a sunglasses holder???????

My thoughts EXACTLY on the sunglass holder. What I'm not sure of is there may be one on X1's without the panoramic sunroof, being that there would be more overhead space to extend a console?

stary
09-27-2012, 07:17 AM
[QUOTE=And while I'm ranting, how is it possible that a $45,000 vehicle doesn't have a sunglasses holder???????[/QUOTE]

if you opt for the $35,000 version you get a sunglass holder, in place of the iDrive

lovemygsp
10-08-2012, 05:19 PM
So we have put about 500 miles on our new x1 s28i and I have to say I'm more than disappointing in the gas mileage. We are only getting about 27mpg on mostly highway driving and really babying the car as to not go over 4000rpm. We have also been trying to use the ecopro mode more often than not. I'm hoping its due to a break in period? Our 2000 323i was easily getting 32mpg and on really straight boring highways it got up to 36mpg.

Oh and on the sunglass holder, we don't have the idrive but I assume those with it is the same... isn't there a compartment to the left of the gear shift for you? Its really deep into the front console and EASILY fits my sunglasses longways.

wcinvest
10-08-2012, 09:57 PM
I haven't gotten my X1 yet but the highway government results clearly appear too high in relation to the 328i and the highway fuel economy being so close to the sDrive version is also a bit strange.

I suspect this car like other cars are tested in base stripped down configurations when these tests are done.

I wonder how much weight the power seats, navigation, moonroof and larger tire size etc., add to the car and detract from fuel economy.

I'm getting an sDrive version and I will be happy if I can eventually get 32 mpg at a fairly steady 70 mph on the highway. Anything above that would be great and somewhat unexpected.

newc6
10-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Subscribing.

BlueCZ
10-22-2012, 10:27 PM
We have about a 1,000 miles on our sDrive28i and are averaging 28 mpg. On a recent 200 mile trip (roughly 80% highway, 20% city) we averaged 32 mpg. I am more than pleased with the fuel consumption so far. It's actually not much different than my 09 Cooper S.

I've noticed that several owners are disappointed with their mpg not matching the EPA estimates. My guess is that the difference is due to a combination of factors such as driving style, AWD vs. RWD, EPS vs hydraulic steering, wheel & tire size, local geography (hills vs. flats), but in my experience the fuel consumption is very impressive for a car of this size and power.

conceyted
10-23-2012, 04:23 AM
Blue, can you tell us what options your x1 has? Also where you are located. I would like to compare with others that have reported. You are one of the first on the forums that has claimed to have gotten over 30mpg. I am glad to hear someone has, though.

BlueCZ
10-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Yes, I am actually a bit surprised to see the mpg numbers reported by others. My model is nearly a complete stripper sDrive28i. The only options are moonroof, servotronic, and paddle shifters. The car came with Goodyears LS2 tires.

One of the reasons I chose the RWD model was the fact that I suspected the fuel economy would be better (less frictional losses, lower weight, EPS, narrower tires, lighter wheels / less rotational inertia).

I am located in Silicon Valley, so it's mostly flats around where I drive, though I do live on a small hill. I consider myself a fairly smooth non-agressive driver, though I do floor it occasionally. Most of the highway driving is usually around 75 mph. For comparison, my long-term mpg in an 09 Cooper S (manual) in the same conditions is 30.3 mpg.

conceyted
10-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Yes, I am actually a bit surprised to see the mpg numbers reported by others. My model is nearly a complete stripper sDrive28i. The only options are moonroof, servotronic, and paddle shifters. The car came with Goodyears LS2 tires.

One of the reasons I chose the RWD model was the fact that I suspected the fuel economy would be better (less frictional losses, lower weight, EPS, narrower tires, lighter wheels / less rotational inertia).

I am located in Silicon Valley, so it's mostly flats around where I drive, though I do live on a small hill. I consider myself a fairly smooth non-agressive driver, though I do floor it occasionally. Most of the highway driving is usually around 75 mph. For comparison, my long-term mpg in an 09 Cooper S (manual) in the same conditions is 30.3 mpg.

I wonder if the 17 inch wheels are doing something to assist in the MPG you are getting. I don't think any of the people complaining so far had 17 inch wheels. I am just looking to try to explain it somehow... there has to be a reason!

lovemygsp
10-23-2012, 12:42 PM
I wonder if the 17 inch wheels are doing something to assist in the MPG you are getting. I don't think any of the people complaining so far had 17 inch wheels. I am just looking to try to explain it somehow... there has to be a reason!

I do. I have a totally stripped s28i. Only thing I added was cold weather package and I'm only getting about 24 combined/27highway. I don't understand why I'm getting so low!?!?

BlueCZ
10-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Interesting. How about air conditioning? Has it been hot where you live? I've had my AC turned on, but it has been fairly cool lately (in the 60s).

HotRodW
10-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Last tank averaged 25.0 mpg, probably at least 90% highway. Auto start on, EcoPro on only part of the time, no AC.

Beamerboi
10-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Well I you think I got a BMW to get a better MPG well you thought WRONG! Hell Id got a KIA LOl

Reedo302
10-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Huh?

mullini
11-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Interesting article I just came across on Yahoo:

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/hyundai-kia-pay-900-000-owners-overstating-mileage-125024437.html

Hope the link works.

P3CIFT
10-23-2013, 02:12 PM
I know the gas mileage subject has been commented on a lot, but I will put my 2 cents worth in after having completed a good road trip this month. I have had my 2014 X1 since mid may, and have over 17000 miles on it already. What can I say, I like driving it. I drove from Washington State to Door County Wisconsin and back, with a total of 5536 miles. There was two of us, and the car was loaded with luggage and lots of other junk to add weight. The drive took us through mountains and flat and everything in between. We had every kind of weather except snow. There was some good tailwinds through Montana and North Dakota which helped the mileage, but there was even stronger head winds through Iowa, Nebraska, and Wyoming on the way back that negatively impacted the mileage also. I think we experienced every scenario that would impact gas mileage along the way. I made no effort to economize. I wanted to see what she would do while driving the way I like to drive. When the speed limit was 70, I set the cruise control to 75. When the speed limit was 75, I set it to 80, and so on. I punched it a few times out on the plains to see what would happen..and it was FUN. I used the air conditioning. Basically, I drove it the way it wanted and should be driven. Lets put it this way.. I have no buyers remorse. From the photo's, (assuming I can figure out how to put photo's on here)you can see that midpoint the average was 30.9 and the end of the trip was 29.4 overall. (I manually calculated it also, and at the end there was only a 2 tenths difference.) The best mileage stretch was in MT and ND at 34.8mpg. Go tail winds!! In the stronger headwinds it dropped down to 25/26. All in all... I am pleased with the mileage and the overall driving experience was as good or better than I had expected. I'm a fan.

0w40X1
10-23-2013, 03:16 PM
That looks like what my X1 s28i gets so yours must be one , also.

I went on a Colorado road trip over the Continental Divide to Aspen, and from the Divide to Los Alamos I averaged 32mpg at about 65 mph.

There wasn't much wind, I was headed to lower altitude, and I didn't have much luggage.

I noticed on the tank before that hard acceleration to pass isn't detrimental to mpg since the turbo ups the pressure and efffiency, as long as your front wind speed isn't over about 65mph.

One thing I finally found out is on the hwy the coolant will run approx 215 deg f with AC on and Eco Pro off.

If you turn on Eco pro or run with AC off the coolant will hit 225-233deg.

Who knew a car would run cooler by the computer with AC on?

mickkassem
10-23-2013, 03:56 PM
We have gotten 30 to 31mpg mainly around the Asheville NC area. No really heavy traffic but also no eco mode.

P3CIFT
10-24-2013, 01:34 AM
That looks like what my X1 s28i gets so yours must be one , also.

I went on a Colorado road trip over the Continental Divide to Aspen, and from the Divide to Los Alamos I averaged 32mpg at about 65 mph.

There wasn't much wind, I was headed to lower altitude, and I didn't have much luggage.

I noticed on the tank before that hard acceleration to pass isn't detrimental to mpg since the turbo ups the pressure and efffiency, as long as your front wind speed isn't over about 65mph.

One thing I finally found out is on the hwy the coolant will run approx 215 deg f with AC on and Eco Pro off.

If you turn on Eco pro or run with AC off the coolant will hit 225-233deg.

Who knew a car would run cooler by the computer with AC on?

Actually, mine is the x28i All Wheel.

Mr Peanut
10-24-2013, 05:38 AM
I only get 25 in town with EcoPro and ASS enabled plus driving like granny. What gives?

X28i

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

0w40X1
10-24-2013, 09:08 AM
I only get 25 in town with EcoPro and ASS enabled plus driving like granny. What gives?

X28i

I depends on how many times you get caught at lights.

I live in a small city, Midland Tx, where I can drive through town 5-10 miles at about 40 mph, get caught at maybe 8-10 lights for a minute, and average 35+mpg.

I know that with my calibrated Scanguage, but if I just drive around town for a tank which averages warmups into it, it'll be about 25mpg.

I'm not about to use the ASS or Eco Pro, since I'm sensitive about losing battery charge.

Also, my boost gauge shows 2 psi when accelerating on Eco Pro, but 5 psi when lightly accelerating without it.

I drove 65mph for a tankful, but had to accelerate hard to pass lines of cars on 2 lane.

I got 31 mpg on that tank, so the running of the turbo seemed to give me the power for free.

0w40X1
10-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Actually, mine is the x28i All Wheel.

Then, you are making out great; your x28i tested at slightly less gas mileage, but I'll bet that's mostly around town start and stopping.

Thochrun
10-24-2013, 07:35 PM
I drove from Glendale California(outside) L.A back to Salt Lake City taking I-15. The speed limit for the most part was 70/75. Needless to say I was doing close to 80 on cruise control up and down mountains and long, winding hills and after checking fuel consumption and miles driven 3 times over the course of the 630 mile trip I averaged 30mpg. And that was at very high elevation most of the trip, considering it's brand new and the steep hills/elevation and me doing 80mph I am extremely happy with my mpg for a all wheel drive vehicle. If they were flat roads and I was doing a more reasonable 70-75 I'm sure I would get 2-3 mpg atleSt better. Around town I'm averaging 23 with a lot if lights

bobajoul
10-25-2013, 08:59 AM
I have posted on this issue before, will chime in my 2C on this . Ihave observed that the most linear relationship to MPG is average MPH. Take the example of the trip from Washington to Wisconsin- high average speed- higher average mpg. People underestimate how much idling, waiting and low speed driving they do. The average MPH is a better indicator. My wife had a hybrid Highlander for 7 years, 7 year average mpg was 22, average mph per the computer was 28 mph. She gets the same mileage in town with her new CX5, same mph and same mpg. It is a function of continuous driving without interruption to get higher, consistent MPG. I have a 06 530 xiT and it averages about 23.7 year round with an average of 45 MPH for the year- it is driven a lot on long commutes to work sites. When my wife drove it in town this summer while her car, she averaged 24 mph and got 21 mpg. Stop and go means crappy mileage no matter what the motor is.

whitby
10-25-2013, 03:06 PM
I have posted on this subject before, so forgive me if I am repeating myself.

We have a 2012 528i and 2013 X1 xDrive 28i, both with the same engine and nominally the same gearbox (8 speed ZF) and both MSport models. What I have not been able to get over is that the 528i which is 100+ lbs heavier (surprisingly not more) gets around (currently) 28 to 29 mpg (comfort mode) while the X1 gets around 24 to 25 mpg for the same trip (30 miles with a mix of stop start, urban and toll roads). Journey time is the same and I have averaged this over the same number of journeys for both cars (5 round trips). Ambient temperatures etc. have been roughly the same for both cars when driving the trip.

My wife and I both note that the X1 is not as good as expected based on our experience with the 528i. Is it bad? Not really, just surprisingly different when compared to a bigger and slightly heavier car.

Forteatwo
10-26-2013, 09:25 AM
The 528i has much less drag than the X1 because of the shape. The airflow pattern of a hatchback creates more drag behind the car than a sedan does and so sedans typically get better mileage even though they are bigger and heavier. All things considered, the X1 is still the best of breed. Check out this link: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_112609/article.html

Wolfex
10-28-2013, 09:52 AM
I have posted on this subject before, so forgive me if I am repeating myself.

We have a 2012 528i and 2013 X1 xDrive 28i, both with the same engine and nominally the same gearbox (8 speed ZF) and both MSport models. What I have not been able to get over is that the 528i which is 100+ lbs heavier (surprisingly not more) gets around (currently) 28 to 29 mpg (comfort mode) while the X1 gets around 24 to 25 mpg for the same trip (30 miles with a mix of stop start, urban and toll roads). Journey time is the same and I have averaged this over the same number of journeys for both cars (5 round trips). Ambient temperatures etc. have been roughly the same for both cars when driving the trip.

My wife and I both note that the X1 is not as good as expected based on our experience with the 528i. Is it bad? Not really, just surprisingly different when compared to a bigger and slightly heavier car.

In addition to the increased drag associated with the hatchback design mentioned above the X1 model you have is AWD. That will bring down the mpg. All in all, my X1 it gets great mileage for a non hybrid hatchback car. That is what I compare it to.

ks9mm
10-29-2013, 06:46 PM
23MPG holding steady...3500miles already.

mixed hway commute + driving kids around town. always in a rush..

bluejay_el
11-05-2013, 04:52 PM
1 full tank:
- 85% city / 15% hwy
- 75% EcoPro (just because I keep on forgetting to turn the damn thing on)

Dashboard reading:
- 23.5 mpg
- +6.2 miles on eco pro

Actual MPG
(1502 miles - 1179 miles) / 14.272 gal = 22.63 mpg

...not sure if i should be happy or not. hope it gets better since I just got over the break in period

x1-2012
11-05-2013, 06:41 PM
I did not raise the bar to high as for the gaz consumption ... Who *really* believed in the BMW's announced gaz consumption ? X1's forceful personality with 241hp and 258 of torque (I have the 2012 Canadian X1 xdrive 2.8i) always invite to some 'spirited' driving.
I do 40% highway and 60% city, my average is 25.5mpg during summer and about 21mpg during winter (Montreal area).
Because of X1's weight, city driving and traffic jam both kill mpg, eg. the stats are way better on higway at >30mpg.
Notwithstanding these figures, i really like driving it!

imua1
11-25-2013, 12:14 PM
With about 70% city and 30 % freeway...getting ave of 26 mpg after break in. Not bad for all the traffic

Canhouter
11-25-2013, 06:54 PM
Took delivery of my x28i on 2 Nov, still in break in period. Absolutely loving the drive

Here are my stats for the 1st proper full tank measurement taken today

52% Highway / 48% City
100% ECO PRO

Dashboard read 28 mpg with 12 bonus Eco Pro miles

Actual Consumption - 27.92 mpg
Distance Travelled = 431 miles (1051 - 620)
Fuel Volume - 15.44 gallons

The trip meter was almost accurate with the consumption. I decided to wait as much as possible to empty before filling to get maximum range

What was surprising and would like to know if others have observed this - the ECO Pro showed a bonus range of +35 miles and as I stretched the distance to fillup it dropped considerably. Maybe I let it go too far :( Would be interesting to see what would be the mileage had I filled up at that point rather than wait!!!

Am driving the current tank in 100% D mode to see how much does it actually benefit. Of course will be relative unless I am able to ensure a 50/50 city/highway distribution to have a proper comparison. Will post results!

What difference have you noticed?

elfhearse
11-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Im still in break-in with 800 miles, 3rd week of driving: ASS - Off, Eco Mode - Off, most of it has been in DS because I can't stand how the engine lugs along in D...feels like a rolling turd.
Computer indicates 24.4 = whatever I'm enjoying the X1 in Sport, not so much in D. (If I really wanted awesome mileage I'd get another Mazda2 with neutered HP)

annoyingmouse
02-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Xdrive 28i

Best 100 miles(computer) - 34.3 MPG! Just this weekend, took a route through the country from Austin to Corpus to avoid San Antonio's rush hour.
Best tank(top off and divide) - 29.9 Same road trip as above
Typical 75MPH+ freeway with cruise control - 25 - 28 MPG
Worst freeway tank - 23 Heavy head wind.

In short, the engine is efficient, but the car is heavy and doesn't cut the cleanest hole in the air. If you drive for fuel mileage, you can get it. The car doesn't handle wind and hills very well.

Canhouter
04-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Took a road trip to Washington DC over the weekend to see the Cherry Blossoms. Was my first long drive after getting the X1. Was impressed with the handling and the mileage.

The trip computer showed a mileage for the round trip average as 37.9 and the actual was 37.7 (started with full tank and topped off). Used Eco Pro throughout and cruise control wherever possible. Did not exceed any speed limits - so speed varied and did not exceed 65. 2 people, average luggage and no air con used - weather was great!!!

On the onward trip to DC, the computer showed 39.2 since there was hardly any traffic. Return today was marked by couple of very slow speed sections and some bumper to bumper. Still not bad - am impressed and happy :-)

atomicfront
04-14-2014, 08:49 AM
So I am getting 17.8 mpg. Pretty awful. Not much better than the 16mpg I was averaging in my former Volvo XC 90. Which was the actual city rating. My wife has a VW TDI wagon that advertises 39 mpg and she frequently gets 45 mpg. Can't believe the city rating on the Vehicle. Who tests these things?

Vlade Divac
04-14-2014, 10:35 AM
Ditto. I'm getting 17.4MPG now about 800 miles in, which is UP from 15/16 earlier on. I remember you posting similar issues from my earlier thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758340

Granted, 95% of my driving is LA city driving, but I'm not exactly pushing the engine's limits each day. Pretty average driving habits IMO.

elfhearse
04-15-2014, 05:41 AM
Update at 10,000 miles. 26.4 MPG combined running either Shell 93 V Power or 91 octane NO ETHANOL (oil change @ 3K with Castrol 0W/30 and added K&N drop in filter)

Canhouter
04-15-2014, 05:55 AM
+1

Just shy of the 5k mark and see a combined average of 26.62 - use only Shell 93 VPower

cwickberg
04-15-2014, 06:30 AM
Just thought I'd chime in...about 13000 miles...averaging about 25 mpg in our 35i!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using BimmerApp mobile app

mullini
04-16-2014, 08:48 AM
I'm just over 20K now and lifetime MPG is 28.3. If I get below 28 mpg on a tank I feel like it's bad week where the traffic gods got me (Los Angeles resident).

I admit I rarely speed. I set the chime to ring at 78, which I have been told really means around 73 mph. There's just too many cops around. I also changed my work commute route to one that's a little longer in miles but allows more freeway speed cruising. You got to get those highway miles up to offset the much weaker MPG on city streets...

kepostil
04-18-2014, 11:57 AM
I have over 20k and at an average speed of 40 MPH (mixed city and hwy), I get 26.4 to the gallon. I drive it in Eco mode about 90% of the time.

Mojo_Mike
04-27-2014, 08:45 AM
Although not an xDrive, my sDrive 2.8 just got 39.2 mpg on the nearly 300 mile drive up from Houston (cruise set on 70mph most of the way).

bimmerized
07-11-2014, 05:02 PM
New data point for freeway driving in an S-drive. 1000 mi round trip. Averaged 72 MPH and cruised most of way at 75 MPH one way with an MPG of 31. This was GPS speed as my speedo seems to be 2 mph slow at 75 MPH. Coming back I set cruise at 80 and got 29 MPG w average speed at 77 MPH. Temps were mostly high at about 100 degrees F w/ AC on most of the way. Mostly at sea level, but crossed a pass w/a 3500 ft peak. 2 MPG loss by going 5 MPH faster. quite a hit. I'm pretty sure I could get the advertised 34 MPG freeway if I kept it under 65 MPH. Indicated top speed was 100 MPH going and 110 MPH coming back, these were short bursts.

Car is fully broken in with 24K miles with stock 18" wheels and pano roof. Car was loaded with 4 passengers and luggage.

In general I think feeway mileage is good, but city is so so. If average speeds are at about 30 MPH, I think my MPG is around 25 which is still better than my M54 E46 which is about 24 MPG at that average speed and that car lighter and more slipery.

0w40X1
07-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Although not an xDrive, my sDrive 2.8 just got 39.2 mpg on the nearly 300 mile drive up from Houston (cruise set on 70mph most of the way).

Ok, So, I think you forgot to tell us about the 20mph rear wind from the gulf.

My X1 s28i seems to average every mile and drop of fuel from new.

How do we get tank average to show like you did?

I have scangauge II which i can show short time average, drive 45-50mph and get 45-50 mpg.

I got 23mpg @ 80 mph with 20 mph headwind including a day at the track, so that worst average is good enough for me.

whitby
07-12-2014, 09:05 PM
We have had our X1 xDrive 28i for 21 months now. We have only done about 8,000 miles or so, but the fuel consumption is quite disappointing. If I drive my 2012 528i to the office and back and do the same in the X1 the 528i returns around 29 mpg and the X1 26 mpg (and before someone comments that the engine is not yet bedded in the X1, the 528i has returned these sort of figures from around 3,000 miles - I keep accurate daily figures). Given that the 528i is heavier (by a 150 pounds or so) I would have expected the opposite. We do not use Eco Mode in either vehicle.

This is not what I expected and engine setup and gear ratios must have something to do with it. I have a feeling that the X1 which does not have a sport/comfort mode like the 528i (it does have sport mode on the transmission which affects the shift points but I am not referring to just that change, the 528i sport mode changes steering weight, throttle calibration and shift points), is probably in a sort of permanent sport mode since it is the Msport model. I generally drive my 528i in comfort mode, it is not worth wasting the gas to use sport mode, but you have no options in the X1 except Eco mode which makes it too sluggish for my wife and I.

Overall we love the X1 but fuel consumption is not as good as we expected and we cannot help but be a little disappointed. We would have gone for the xDrive35i had we known!

stonex1
07-12-2014, 09:19 PM
We have had our X1 xDrive 28i for 21 months now. We have only done about 8,000 miles or so, but the fuel consumption is quite disappointing. If I drive my 2012 528i to the office and back and do the same in the X1 the 528i returns around 29 mpg and the X1 26 mpg (and before someone comments that the engine is not yet bedded in the X1, the 528i has returned these sort of figures from around 3,000 miles - I keep accurate daily figures). Given that the 528i is heavier (by a 150 pounds or so) I would have expected the opposite. We do not use Eco Mode in either vehicle.

This is not what I expected and engine setup and gear ratios must have something to do with it. I have a feeling that the X1 which does not have a sport/comfort mode like the 528i (it does have sport mode on the transmission which affects the shift points but I am not referring to just that change, the 528i sport mode changes steering weight, throttle calibration and shift points), is probably in a sort of permanent sport mode since it is the Msport model. I generally drive my 528i in comfort mode, it is not worth wasting the gas to use sport mode, but you have no options in the X1 except Eco mode which makes it too sluggish for my wife and I.

Overall we love the X1 but fuel consumption is not as good as we expected and we cannot help but be a little disappointed. We would have gone for the xDrive35i had we known!

Is your 5 series Xdrive as well?

My suggestion.... close your eyes and forget about mpg.
Just pound your foot to the floor, and giver.

Okay, ignore the comment about closing your eyes.

whitby
07-13-2014, 02:12 PM
Is your 5 series Xdrive as well?

My suggestion.... close your eyes and forget about mpg.
Just pound your foot to the floor, and giver.

Okay, ignore the comment about closing your eyes.

Good point, no it is not and it may account for some difference, although it does still seem a lot. However it is the variance from the EPA rating that surprises most. The 528i is pretty well spot on. The X1 is not. Makes me think that the EPA certification was not based on actually testing but based on comparable engine/gearbox combinations from BMW. Who knows? Anyway, good catch.

However we still like the X1 and yes we use her performance. A fun car to drive and we love it.

aekdbrich
07-13-2014, 04:11 PM
I get 27.0 mpg and I have a sDrive 28i. I do about 30% of my driving in the city and I do NONE of my driving in Eco pro mode. It's still impressive to me although I came from driving a Jeep Wrangler. The xDrive would probably lose only about 1-2 mpg I would imagine.

2014 BMW X1 sDrive28i "Black Betty"
2013 Mini Cooper S Countryman "Penelope"
2011 BMW 328i "Heidi" (past)