PDA

View Full Version : IPhone interface doesn't work

stary
09-11-2012, 01:04 PM
The car included an iPhone cable with both a USB and stereo iPhone adapter, which is supposed to be plug-and-play, allowing you to access the music on your phone via the stereo, but all i get is a "wrong cable" message displayed on the stereo. standard iPhone USB cable says the same thing (and dealer said that is supposed to work too. i tried with both the stereo jack and the USB jack, and neither work alone or together. the phone does get power from the USB jack though.

Anyone else having the same problem? i thought i remember reading something on this forum about that, but i can'y find anything on a search.

the_fox
09-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Just curious, why do you need a cable at all? Shouldn't this work wirelessly through Bluetooth? :dunno:

stary
09-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Just curious, why do you need a cable at all? Shouldn't this work wirelessly through Bluetooth? :dunno:

nope, maybe it does with the iDrive, but (even though that was also listed as "standard") we don't have it.

i plugged in a flash drive with some music on it and the stereo pulled it up just fine!

MNX1024
09-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Now this is starting to scare me. I'm planning to go drop down the deposit this Friday at the dealership and all of this is kind of discouraging me.

kjboyd
09-11-2012, 10:00 PM
What iPhone? And what software iOS? The cables are very temperamental.

stary
09-11-2012, 11:14 PM
What iPhone? And what software iOS? The cables are very temperamental.

iPhone 4S, OS 5.1.1

Using the supplied BMW "Video/audio adapter for Apple iPod/iPhone" cable SN 61-12-2-179-623

stary
09-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Now this is starting to scare me. I'm planning to go drop down the deposit this Friday at the dealership and all of this is kind of discouraging me.

it's called the new model blues...

i'm sure this iPhone thing will be worked out shortly

mabrahams
09-12-2012, 07:41 AM
The adapter is to control iPhone from wheel. You should be able to stream music via Bluetooth without the adapter.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/OwnersManualVideos.aspx?namodelcode=13XA&videoguid=47cdc3a7-0f48-4070-8e9a-51bfc4a0c532
(Yes this shows through iDrive, but it should still be the same function as non-iDrive models)

Also take a look at page 181 of the X1 drivers manual.

It was noted that if you have BMW Apps; the supplied cable doesn't work (but I'm not sure why the cable would be any different for BMW Apps?).

the_fox
09-12-2012, 11:24 AM
They'll have to come up with a new cable/adapter for iPhone 5 folks as well...

mabrahams
09-12-2012, 11:36 AM
The new iPhone will have a new adapter to old adapter dongle; shouldn't be a problem.

Justin@NCBMW
09-12-2012, 03:27 PM
The car included an iPhone cable with both a USB and stereo iPhone adapter, which is supposed to be plug-and-play, allowing you to access the music on your phone via the stereo, but all i get is a "wrong cable" message displayed on the stereo. standard iPhone USB cable says the same thing (and dealer said that is supposed to work too. i tried with both the stereo jack and the USB jack, and neither work alone or together. the phone does get power from the USB jack though.

Anyone else having the same problem? i thought i remember reading something on this forum about that, but i can'y find anything on a search.

Does your X1 have navigation? If yes use your own white "apple" cable

stary
09-12-2012, 06:35 PM
The adapter is to control iPhone from wheel. You should be able to stream music via Bluetooth without the adapter.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/OwnersManualVideos.aspx?namodelcode=13XA&videoguid=47cdc3a7-0f48-4070-8e9a-51bfc4a0c532
(Yes this shows through iDrive, but it should still be the same function as non-iDrive models)

Also take a look at page 181 of the X1 drivers manual.

It was noted that if you have BMW Apps; the supplied cable doesn't work (but I'm not sure why the cable would be any different for BMW Apps?).

Thanks, I already read the manual and the phone syncs to make calls via Bluetooth but not music. There is nomusic choice on the non I Drive stereo

stary
09-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Does your X1 have navigation? If yes use your own white "apple" cable

No IDrive so now nav.. thought IDrive was standard when I bought the car...tried regular iPhone cable and it doesn't work either

mabrahams
09-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Ok... Did you try a shutdown of the phone and reboot it? Then remove both the USB and Headphone jack, plug it back in, connect the iPhone?

stary
09-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Ok... Did you try a shutdown of the phone and reboot it? Then remove both the USB and Headphone jack, plug it back in, connect the iPhone?

yeah, also, i deleted the phone from the sync with the car and then re-sync'ed it. it still says wrong cable. interesting tidbit is that the USB reading says "iPhone" when i attach the USB cable, instead of "USB"

mabrahams
09-13-2012, 10:38 AM
I'd go back to the dealer and request a new cable.

stary
09-13-2012, 03:20 PM
talked with dealer and they don't know what's going on ... anyone else out there have the same problem?

Recap: cannot access music on iPhone through stereo via USB cable supplied by BMW

kjboyd
09-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Silly question... You DO HAVE music on the phone right?

Try this. Turn everything off. Not just sleep the phone but powered completely off. Then connect it all. Turn on phone. Wait for it to boot up. Does it show connect ON THE PHONE?, then turn on car. Then turn on radio and chose the mode button and go to iPod/phone.

stary
09-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Silly question... You DO HAVE music on the phone right?

Try this. Turn everything off. Not just sleep the phone but powered completely off. Then connect it all. Turn on phone. Wait for it to boot up. Does it show connect ON THE PHONE?, then turn on car. Then turn on radio and chose the mode button and go to iPod/phone.

yes there is music! i've tried playing it while connecting.

I tried your idea with iPhone restart and no dice. tried it with the BMW cable (usb, stereo jack alone, plus stereo and USB together), and the standard iPhone cable.

anyone else having this problem??? i guess we're the only ones on this forum with a non-iDrive X1 trying to sync music so far!

x3brian
09-14-2012, 04:23 AM
You might need a different cable.

I had a similar problem with my non I drive e88 (which audio is essentially the same as your e84) when I converted to the 4s although my issue was charging related.

I needed this:

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDetail.aspx?CategoryType=Accessories&ProductId=3241

Worth a try to ask the dealer.

stary
09-18-2012, 11:52 AM
dealer sent a new cable he tested on another car in the lot... if that doesn't work then it's our phone or the car

stary
09-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Got the new USB cable from the dealer and the interface works now!

Scolty
04-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Got the new USB cable from the dealer and the interface works now!

Heey got the same problem.

Wich cable do you got now?

Greetz

eric9610
04-18-2013, 05:22 PM
I have idrive and Nav along with my Iphon 5, i can stream the music over Bluetooth or use my white cable to connect my phone to BMW APPS.