PDA

View Full Version : Will the X1 surpass the X3?

X1FirstBMW
09-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Now that I have ordered an X1, I keep looking for one IRL, not just on the dealer lot. So, I perk up every time I see a BMW SAV. I have noticed tons of 3s on the road. In my part of town, I once counted 5 in a one mile stretch. I always, literally, see at least two. I see far fewer 5s and only one 6. Still haven't seen an X1, which is pretty cool. I should get mine in early Oct and look forward to bring the new kid! Point of reference, our metro area population (inc 12 counties) is 1.5 million, so we're not a big city. We only have one BMW dealer in the area.
One reason I'm getting the 1 is because it looks completely unlike any other car on the road. Another is the novelty of a rare model. I drive a not very special VW now, and am bothered just a little when I see the same model/color combo. The idea of seeing a half dozen cars just like mine every time I run an errand will drive me crazy! I plan on buying, not leasing, but will sell before it is no longer under warranty so resale matters to me
Do you think the X1 will become as commonplace as the X3 in the next 2 years? BTW, I see so many 3series sedans it's amazing. It's the ubiquitous luxury car around here. Would have to kill resale values. Is everyone just leasing?

stary
09-13-2012, 09:31 AM
we bought with the intent to pass it along to our daughter in 16 years!

mabrahams
09-13-2012, 09:47 AM
The X1 won't be a rare car; if it's anything how it did over in Europe. Let's be honest here, it's going to do pretty well here I think. Will it be the next 3 (in terms of numbers?) no; but you will see them.

lovemygsp
09-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Dealers are only now getting in X1's. If you only have one dealer it means they only had 2 cars at most in the last month. Therefore of course you haven't seen any. This car is going to explode though as its a luxury car priced only a few thousand more than most lower brand suv's and trumps most in gas milage too. It wont be rare. Unless it has some kind of major recall I predict a lot of people who wouldn't otherwise buy a BMW will be buying these.

IT sounds as if you live in an extremely wealthy area so I'm sure the problem will be exagerated. Where I grew up at in western NC I could travel for hours without seeing another BMW but as soon as Id get closer to charlotte or raleigh I'd see tons. Now that I work at a private university with 50k/year tuition I see more BMWs than ever. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next year or two the parking lot is full of X1's as it its cheaper than a 3series and of course mommy and daddy are going to buy their kids a bmw.

Evlengr
09-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Dealers are only now getting in X1's. If you only have one dealer it means they only had 2 cars at most in the last month. Therefore of course you haven't seen any. This car is going to explode though as its a luxury car priced only a few thousand more than most lower brand suv's and trumps most in gas milage too. It wont be rare. Unless it has some kind of major recall I predict a lot of people who wouldn't otherwise buy a BMW will be buying these.

IT sounds as if you live in an extremely wealthy area so I'm sure the problem will be exagerated. Where I grew up at in western NC I could travel for hours without seeing another BMW but as soon as Id get closer to charlotte or raleigh I'd see tons. Now that I work at a private university with 50k/year tuition I see more BMWs than ever. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next year or two the parking lot is full of X1's as it its cheaper than a 3series and of course mommy and daddy are going to buy their kids a bmw.

BMW's are more prevalent than Toyota or Honda around here, but we live in a good area. I have sat at a light next to a Ferrari, BMW M6, Porsche Cayenne S Turbo, and several other standard BMW's. There was not a domestic in sight. 3 Series are like corolla in my neck of the woods. Part of the reason I pick up an S4 tomorrow.

As far as the X1 I wish you well. Hope you got a stick.

Bubbs
09-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Stopped by my dealer in Syracuse today. They have 6 X1's in stock. Two I have driven in the last 6 weeks. They have not move one and have taken in delivery of 4 since then. I'm surprised.

stary
09-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Stopped by my dealer in Syracuse today. They have 6 X1's in stock. Two I have driven in the last 6 weeks. They have not move one and have taken in delivery of 4 since then. I'm surprised.

what's the economy like in Syracuse? are they moving any other cars?

Bubbs
09-15-2012, 04:54 PM
My CA told me he sold 5 cars the day I test drove a X1 a couple if weeks ago.

htlevine
10-02-2012, 06:46 PM
I have had an X3 since 2005 (before than a 1'st generation X5) and I LOVE the X3. She is getting a little old (150K miles, small things need attention now, so I pass it on to a child) and I wanted the same in a new car. Alas, the new X3's were BIGGER, which I did not want, so I opted for the X1 (xDrive28i,premium pkg, heated seats, sirius, no iDrive). I have seen them about in europe and canada and have been waiting for them to come to the us. That said, it's a little "chintzier" inside than my X3, but I thought the same about my X3 in regard to the X5. My experience though showed me that the interior of my X3 fared FAR better than that of my X5 (buttons constantly cracking, rattling cargo cover, etc), so I am open-minded about my X1... maybe chintzy is more low-key and durable?

I have put about 1000 miles on the X1, and spend alot of time on I80, I101 in the bay area (where you need your accelerator) and I have to say, I am impressed. It is zippy and pretty comfortable. Less room in the storage area, and a smaller back seat, but the front part of the car feels about the same as the X3 except for the smaller steering wheel. I posted another thread regarding size comparison with a snap of my X3 and X1 side-by-side. Next to my X3, the X1 does NOT look smaller, especially from the back. Kind of a bummer in that regard because I was hoping to be able to get into smaller parking spots, but oh well.

My opinion as to why these cars may not move in certain areas is that I think people might have an aversion to getting "first of the new model" types of cars for fear of kinks that have not been worked out. I had those woes with my 1'st generation X5, but this is not the case with the X1: it has been in europe for several years. For that reason, I went for it.

Your choice depends on your needs and personal taste... just thought I'd pipe in with my 2-cents :)

wcinvest
10-03-2012, 12:00 AM
Over the next year, I would expect the X1 to have a real good chance to outsell the X3 but it wouldn't be by a ton since the X3 is selling very well and dealers will want to push that vehicle that probably has higher margins over the X1. That being said, the X3 has such an advantage right now with the number of them already sold, the X3 will continue to be much more common on the roads.

The X3 should steal sales away from the 328i, X3, and even the 1 series. Obviously the 3 series will continue to be BMW's big seller by a large amount in the US at least but the X1 will do well since when lightly optioned it combines value(fuel economy, relatively low starting price and insurance costs), performance, and utility.

I would suspect about 30-40% of the people who currently buy a 328i should be looking at an X1 and 30-40% of X3 buyers might be better off with an X1 as well.

The 1 series right now as long as it doesn't have 4 doors or a more economical engine at least is more of a niche car despite its very good reviews. Once the Audi Q3 is released, the sales of the X1 will probably go down a bit but right now I really don't see a direct competitor to the X1 in the US.

Fordt
10-04-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm here in Houston, see Bimmers everywhere, yet to see an X1 and very few X3's. If the diesel gets here any time soon, I'll have one, otherwise it's the next SUV/crossover with a turbo diesel-Mazda CX5, VW Tiguan, BMW X1. Mama wants something higher off the ground. Went down and test drove the gas X1 and was very impressed, checked with dealer a week later and cars are gone as soon as they get test driven! But they are mainly getting X35's maxed out. And ED is definitely a perk for BMW...

X1FirstBMW
10-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Still haven't seen an X1, but the dealer has sold 2 or 3 of their stock according to autotrader. Not sure if that's accurate. My car should be at the dealership in the next few days. It arrived in Baltimore last Fri.
The X1 is still an unknown vehicle for most people. I haven't seen any ads since the Olympics. Once the general population sees it, they will be good sellers. I was sold the moment I saw pics of Btech's X1 on another forum. It appeals to a small niche audience. Hopefully it's just odd enough to keep it semi rare.

AzNMpower32
10-05-2012, 05:27 PM
I don't think the X1 will ever outsell the X3. It's not particularly well-suited for American tastes and there's limited allocation for the US. Since it came out, I've seen a whopping one X1 during my travels in the region.

2013x1
10-06-2012, 07:36 PM
I just picked up my X1 x28i tonight! I did not even hear about this new model until I saw an X6 in traffic and fell in love with it! When I got home from work I looked up X6..yeah, pretty expensive for me, but I saw the X1 model for the first time. I researched it and thought...this may just be affordable for my first import. It replaced my 2010 Ford Escape FWD. Looking forward to playing with it tomorrow. It's very quiet, love the leather seats and handles quite well. Tonight, I look over the the manual...LOL. Literally everything on this car is very different from my Escape. I got it semi loaded and I like the wood interior trim. Wow!! Can't wait to shoot some pictures!!

What product do you all use on your leather seats? They are very nice.

ildial
10-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Still haven't seen an X1, but the dealer has sold 2 or 3 of their stock according to autotrader. Not sure if that's accurate. My car should be at the dealership in the next few days. It arrived in Baltimore last Fri.
The X1 is still an unknown vehicle for most people. I haven't seen any ads since the Olympics. Once the general population sees it, they will be good sellers. I was sold the moment I saw pics of Btech's X1 on another forum. It appeals to a small niche audience. Hopefully it's just odd enough to keep it semi rare.

Our cars must've been on the same ship, I should be able to pick it up next week, very excited. The dealer in town had two and one of them is still on the lot but I've seen the other one around.

Evlengr
10-06-2012, 11:31 PM
I just picked up my X1 x28i tonight! I did not even hear about this new model until I saw an X6 in traffic and fell in love with it! When I got home from work I looked up X6..yeah, pretty expensive for me, but I saw the X1 model for the first time. I researched it and thought...this may just be affordable for my first import. It replaced my 2010 Ford Escape FWD. Looking forward to playing with it tomorrow. It's very quiet, love the leather seats and handles quite well. Tonight, I look over the the manual...LOL. Literally everything on this car is very different from my Escape. I got it semi loaded and I like the wood interior trim. Wow!! Can't wait to shoot some pictures!!

What product do you all use on your leather seats? They are very nice.

I use Lexol cleaner and conditioner on any and all my leather materials. They have been around for a long time and know what is needed when it comes to leather. They were originally used for horse tac (bridles, saddles, etc...).

mismaloya
10-20-2012, 04:16 AM
I think the X1 will indeed challenge the x3 in sales numbers in the US. Only time will tell, but it is a compelling little package and offers that rare combination of a small footprint with a comfortable cabin that feels roomy from the front seats. I think you'll have a lot of younger people buying ths car, as well as older couples that don't need the space of the larger SAV's anymore. Easy to drive, easy to park, easy at the gas pump- a lot to like.

PlzDuntBanMe
10-20-2012, 07:13 AM
In my city, there is a fair share of each. There are mostly X5's and 3's on the road. I think the X1 looks a lot better than the X3.

mismaloya
10-20-2012, 07:53 AM
I agree- I'm not crazy about the look of the X3. It's due for a refresh.
The x1 is so new that you won't see many on the road for a couple of months- but they are selling well according to the dealer I was at

X1FirstBMW
10-24-2012, 10:26 AM
Saw my first other X1 today. The first of many I'm sure. Looked like Mineral White with red interior. Must have been Sportline. Very, very nice combo. The fact that it is the opposite of my Jet Black Oyster Xline made it even better!