PDA

View Full Version : Something I discovered by accident

GirlLuvMyBMW640
09-13-2012, 09:53 AM
I was driving to work yesterday and I was in cruise control. I was coming up to a slower driver and wanted to simply reduce my cruise control through the steering wheel lever on the left. Well the driver decided to slow down (for what reason I will never know) which made me panic. So I pressed down and held the cruise lever trying to slow down quickly. While holding down the lever the car actually started to seem to brake. I not sure if anyone has discovered this or this is a normal part of the cruise control system. In either case I was glad it did slow the car down substantially. Just wanted to share with the community.

tim330i
09-13-2012, 10:29 AM
The new cruise control can use the brakes and even puts on the brake lights :)

djsaad1
09-13-2012, 10:38 AM
I have never driven a bmw but I believe that is pretty common, the car will slow down to the cruise speed you select. Thats not adaptive cruise control though, that is just you telling it to slow down. Adaptive slows down by itself when it gets in a certain range of car.

GirlLuvMyBMW640
09-13-2012, 11:57 AM
I am aware of adaptive cruise since I had it in my previous E550. This was just something I did not realize was an actual breaking feeling as a result of manually holding down the speed control lever when at tamping to reduce the actual cruise control speed without disengaging the cruise control entirely. Like I said this may be well know to others. This is my first BMW so it was a pleasing discovery for me. Thanks for your feedback.