PDA

View Full Version : 2002 745i have 0491 and o492 code on need help

fabianr
09-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Hi,
i have the Service engine light on and i went to autozone and it came out with both codes 0491 and 0492. they said it might be the senaliods. But they were not sure. Does anyone have an idea?

saturnin
09-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Thats the 9,000$ (BMW)job man***8230;.... very common in e65 66 models***8230;.... good luck***8230;.... your 1 and 2 banks are prob shot.
Do some decent 'search' on this site***8230;..many threads about this issue man. There is no easy fix, unless you swap w Euro soft. to erase the codes perm.
Some ppl claim its O2 but neh***8230;.. I suspect since this is your first post you just got the vehicle and thought you paid a good price for it ? =)

oh BTW
Welcome to the site!, hope your pockets are deep XD

fabianr
09-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Yes i did think i got a bargain when i got it a week ago, good thing the title comes next week. Ill see if i keep it.

Thanks.

SFbay
09-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Yes i did think i got a bargain when i got it a week ago, good thing the title comes next week. Ill see if i keep it.

Thanks.

Not a big deal, of it's not smoking;)
100-200$ and you'll be fine;)
Simply ask any mechanic to clean up your air passages with some sea foam or anything, there was a thread about it.

fabianr
09-14-2012, 06:58 AM
[ passages with some sea foam or anything, there was a thread about it. ]
Thanks for the info.

saturnin
09-18-2012, 09:06 AM
sea foam***8230;will NOT do a thing...

mokh
09-18-2012, 11:10 AM
i had those errors a while back....for me it turned out to be the secondary air system. pump was fine bi the tubes under the manifold were cracked. had to remove the manifold to get to them. not a big deal. takes aroumd 2 hours of labour and a 100$ parts. whats inpa telling u?

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Bimmer App

RON7165994
09-18-2012, 01:14 PM
i had those errors a while back....for me it turned out to be the secondary air system. pump was fine bi the tubes under the manifold were cracked. had to remove the manifold to get to them. not a big deal. takes aroumd 2 hours of labour and a 100$ parts. whats inpa telling u?

i just had this happen to me yesterday but i only have code 0491:dunno:

mokh
09-18-2012, 02:33 PM
i just had this happen to me yesterday but i only have code 0491:dunno:

one of them is for bank 1 and the other is for bank 2.
u need to read what other error codes you have, this is usually the result of somethimg going wrong...as far as i know that is :)

RON7165994
09-18-2012, 02:57 PM
one of them is for bank 1 and the other is for bank 2.
u need to read what other error codes you have, this is usually the result of somethimg going wrong...as far as i know that is :)

there is no other codes

roadfrog
09-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Not a big deal, of it's not smoking
100-200$ and you'll be fine
Simply ask any mechanic to clean up your air passages with some sea foam or anything, there was a thread about it

BWAHAHAHAHA. Riiiiight. Seriously.

Look, any search will give you all the info ya need. It's a HUGE job. If you have no emissions testing where you are, then you just need to put up with an SES light. Otherwise, it's a 6k + dollar job (10k from BMW). SEAFOAM does SQUAT. It worked for two guys here, but only because they spent 4 days, running hard wires throught the head ports to clear the carbon out. NOT for the faint of heart. Trust me.....I've researched this to death for over a year. I finally had a special program installed in my OBC to silence the P0491 and 492 codes, which cost me 500 dollars. Fortunately they are doing away with testing here in 2014.

SFbay
09-21-2012, 06:02 PM
BWAHAHAHAHA. Riiiiight. Seriously.

Look, any search will give you all the info ya need. It's a HUGE job. If you have no emissions testing where you are, then you just need to put up with an SES light. Otherwise, it's a 6k + dollar job (10k from BMW). SEAFOAM does SQUAT. It worked for two guys here, but only because they spent 4 days, running hard wires throught the head ports to clear the carbon out. NOT for the faint of heart. Trust me.....I've researched this to death for over a year. I finally had a special program installed in my OBC to silence the P0491 and 492 codes, which cost me 500 dollars. Fortunately they are doing away with testing here in 2014.

So what's a big deal to clean it with wires or I used air compressor and seafom with acetone and it cleaned it up. No errors 9 months already.
Simple:
Remove intake
Remove those valves
Clean it up with wires, air etc.
Though not sure for how long bc this problem usually tells that valve stems are not too good, but if you
Clean it once a year or when you
Need a smog test it's not too bad

roadfrog
09-22-2012, 08:28 AM
So what's a big deal to clean it with wires or I used air compressor and seafom with acetone and it cleaned it up. No errors 9 months already.
Simple:
Remove intake
Remove those valves
Clean it up with wires, air etc.
Though not sure for how long bc this problem usually tells that valve stems are not too good, but if you
Clean it once a year or when you
Need a smog test it's not too bad

I wasn't bashing on you SFbay! Trust me, I'd do what you did if I had to (I went software change instead to silence the SESS). My comment was based on the comment that it's just a matter of spraying some Seafoam in the engine and, "voila"..... It's not that simple. This is a huge issue for a frightening % of owners, along with the valve stem seals.

RON7165994
09-22-2012, 09:51 AM
bwahahahaha. Riiiiight. Seriously.

Look, any search will give you all the info ya need. It's a huge job. If you have no emissions testing where you are, then you just need to put up with an ses light. Otherwise, it's a 6k + dollar job (10k from bmw). Seafoam does squat. It worked for two guys here, but only because they spent 4 days, running hard wires throught the head ports to clear the carbon out. Not for the faint of heart. Trust me.....i've researched this to death for over a year. I finally had a special program installed in my obc to silence the p0491 and 492 codes, which cost me 500 dollars. Fortunately they are doing away with testing here in 2014.

where did you get the software?????????

SFbay
09-22-2012, 10:16 AM
I wasn't bashing on you SFbay! Trust me, I'd do what you did if I had to (I went software change instead to silence the SESS). My comment was based on the comment that it's just a matter of spraying some Seafoam in the engine and, "voila"..... It's not that simple. This is a huge issue for a frightening % of owners, along with the valve stem seals.

I see, that's why I said 200-300$ to clean it up....
Still I'm not getting what's a big deal to clean it up with wires and compressed air?? I think it's easier than software update plus it's better for cats anyways.