PDA

View Full Version : sDrive28i - First Impressions

BlueCZ
09-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Hey Guys,

Have been reading this site for quite some time and decided I should finally contribute! :)

I just picked up an X1 sDrive28i in deep sea blue. For those of you wondering whether to pull the trigger, let me assure you, the car awesome. I have a couple of pieces of info that may be useful:

- I opted for Servotronic (with EPS) and am very happy with it. I don't think it's too light at all and has a nice well balanced feel. I test drove a non-servo sDrive with EPS few weeks ago, but can't really remember it well enough to give a true comparison. I'd personally recommend getting servotronic on the sDrive. That may not apply for xDrive models, where it apparently makes the steering very light. I was really nervous about getting a car with EPS and Servotronic, but have absolutely no regrets now that I actually have the car.

- I am surprised I haven't seen this on the board, but there is another glitch in the configurator, as I found out while picking up my car. The dealer charged me for the $650 BMW Assist with Bluetooth, which shows up as no charge option on the configurator (once you actually add it in, it shows $0). The overall price for the car just seemed higher than I expected and I felt stupid about it. I finally noticed the bluetooth charge while getting ready to pay for the car. The dealer recognized the error and was kind enough to throw in the option for free. The point is - be careful guys, you may be charged for something that you were expecting to be free. With tax, that's about $700 I nearly paid unnecessarily.

- Unfortunately, I have concluded that bluetooth streaming is not supported, unless you opt for the Technology Package with iDrive. You can still connect your iPhone/iPod via USB cable or get a bluetooth transmitter for the AUX input, but neither is quite as nice. Bummer, as I was told that bluetooth streaming would work with the basic system, but that's about the only negative so far.

- We chose the deep sea blue with tan leatherette and both are above our expectations! With two dogs, leatherette was a must and we've had good experience with it in a Mini. It is nice and soft and I think I prefer it to the basic black leather I saw at the dealer. The leatherette is definitely softer than the leather.

- The only other option we added was the moonroof which if fantastic. I'd say it's a must if you live in a sunny climate.

- As far as tires, ours came with the Goodyears LS-2, which are not bad, but I would have preferred the Pirelli Cinturatos. Will probably replace the tires with non-runflats when the time comes anyway.

- Don't have much to add about the engine and the transmission. Both are fantastic.

- I think I'll actually like auto start/stop. Takes a couple of days to get used to it, but I think it will be nice.

Overall, I think the X1 is a great deal and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. My general opinion is, though, that the car makes much more sense on the lower end. Once you start adding all the silly packages, the value, in my opinion, is no longer there and you might as well get something more upscale.

BlueCZ
09-13-2012, 08:38 PM
To preempt requests for pics, here they are. :) Sorry, these were taken with a cell phone in not so good lighting. Will try to get some better ones over the weekend.

stary
09-13-2012, 10:12 PM
assuming you have iDrive correct? we haven't been able to connect our non-iDrive equipped stereo to iPhone music

BlueCZ
09-13-2012, 10:48 PM
No I do not have an iDrive (no Technology Package). I noticed your posts about having trouble with getting the iPod/iPhone to work, so I tried it on ours and it works just fine. I think the trick is to use the original white cable that came with your iPod and then click the Audio button on the car stereo where the last icon now changes from USB to iPod. As soon as I selected iPod, music started playing.

I also wanted to try playing Pandora over the cable, but no wifi in the driveway, so I'll have to try elsewhere.

If the above really doesn't work for you (even without iDrive), I am afraid that you either have a faulty iPod, cable, or car stereo. Good luck! Btw, I am in RWC as well.

BlueCZ
09-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Pandora over the white iPod cable works as well!

stary
09-13-2012, 11:38 PM
No I do not have an iDrive (no Technology Package). I noticed your posts about having trouble with getting the iPod/iPhone to work, so I tried it on ours and it works just fine. I think the trick is to use the original white cable that came with your iPod and then click the Audio button on the car stereo where the last icon now changes from USB to iPod. As soon as I selected iPod, music started playing.

I also wanted to try playing Pandora over the cable, but no wifi in the driveway, so I'll have to try elsewhere.

If the above really doesn't work for you (even without iDrive), I am afraid that you either have a faulty iPod, cable, or car stereo. Good luck! Btw, I am in RWC as well.

That's awesome!!! so it's not a production problem after all... that's a relief. so maybe it;s our cable (i'll try another white iPhone cable) or maybe there's a problem with our phone. hopefully theres no problem with the hardware in the car!

BlueCZ
09-14-2012, 10:00 PM
I am curious to hear how it goes. My contact at the dealership told me that any iPod or iPhone should work as long as I use the original white USB cable.

stary
09-15-2012, 03:06 PM
I am curious to hear how it goes. My contact at the dealership told me that any iPod or iPhone should work as long as I use the original white USB cable.

apparently there us an Enhanced Bluetooth upgrade that I don't have, that comes in one of the packages. he said white iPhone cable won't work with our base model.

dealer is sending me a new BMW cable to try.

stary
09-15-2012, 03:07 PM

what packages/options does your car have?

BlueCZ
09-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Ha, that is really curious. I think he is referring to the "BMW Assist with Enhanced Bluetooth" option, which I mentioned in my original post. It is a $650 option that shows up as no charge once you add it in the configurator. Since it was "free", I included it in our build and then upon delivery the BMW dealer tried to charge me for it. The dealer was kind enough to make it right, because the option showed up as $0 on the original build sheet from my first visit to the dealership. The BMW Assist is basically a service like Onstar, but I have been wondering what is the value of the Enhanced Bluetooth. I guess the iPod interface is one, but I don't really see how it has anything to do with bluetooth. I hope the BMW cable make it work for you!

the_fox
09-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Wondering the same thing. What would Bluetooth (wireless) have to do with a cable (wired) not working? Stary, if a second cable doesn't work, I recommend going to a dealer and testing your iPhone with another similarly equipped X1, to see if this issue is by design or if something is wrong with your car. And also try a second iPhone/iPod, if possible, to rule out a problem with your iDevice.

kjboyd
09-16-2012, 03:21 AM
Basically iPhone/iPod connection is standard along with basic Bluetooth for making calls and reading the address book.

The enhanced bt adds the "combox" (afaik) which gives you the streaming bt option as well as BMW assist.

Do u gave another device as suggested above to test? Neighborhood kid to borrow one from?

Granted the X1 is based on old tech but it's been possible since the iPhone came out in 07 to do this.

BlueCZ
09-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the input - that would be great if the Enhanced Bluetooth option included a different combox with audio streaming support. I've had no luck so far using two HTC Android phones and an iPod Touch. The dealer offered to take a look and try to make audio streaming work for me. I am very skeptical it is supported at all without iDrive. Checking compatibility on an E91 with Professional Radio and Enhanced Bluetooth, audio streaming is not supported:

www.bmwusa.com/bluetooth

If anyone else could chime in with any experience with audio streaming (without iDrive), I would greatly appreciate it!

kjboyd
09-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Streaming is new to the 3s. The regular BT works on my mini and my moms 328 Wagon w/ o iDrive so yes it does work. Otherwise why sell it?

BlueCZ
09-17-2012, 11:09 PM
Thanks, that's great to hear. Do you use iPhone or Android? I've only had a chance to try Androids so far. iPhone 5 on the way and should be here on Friday. I'll post the results. Just to confirm, you are talking about bluetooth music streaming, not just bluetooth phone calling right?

kjboyd
09-18-2012, 07:22 AM
No. Streaming DOESNT work without the enhanced bt option. U have to use the cables provided with the standard bt. And just our iPhones.

And sorry to burst your bubble but it's not likely to work with the 5 because they changed the connectors. Even with the adapter I've read that the phone no longer supports the proper protocol connections.

from the website:
Bluetooth Audio Streaming—available from BMW ConnectedDrive—wirelessly plays the music saved on your Bluetooth-capable smartphone or MP3 player.

BlueCZ
09-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the input. I don't think we're quite on the same page. There are 3 bluetooth configurations on the X1:

1. The standard, free of charge, bluetooth support
2. BMW Assist with Enhanced Bluetooth (I HAVE THIS OPTION)
3. Technology Package with iDrive/ConnectedDrive

The question I am wondering about is whether anyone has managed to get bluetooth streaming working without having option #3. I believe the quote you pasted from the website refers to option #3 (ConnectedDrive).

Also, no bubbles being burst regarding iPhone 5. :) This article seems to suggest that everything will work except for video playback and display mirroring:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10834656

Let's hope that turns out to be the case. In the worst case, my backup plan is to use one of these little guys for bluetooth audio streaming:

http://www.amazon.com/Potato-Technologies-TuneLink-iPhone-touch/dp/B004GJURHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348033941&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+audio+potato

kjboyd
09-19-2012, 12:21 AM
what does your actual window sticker say?

streaming only works with the connected drive.

Or maybe I'm talking out my a$$. But bottom line is if it isn't standard in the 3ers it sure as heck isn't standard in the bottom of the barrel sDrive X1.