PDA

View Full Version : E66 Newbie with Pic's and Questions

Dabarberbob
09-14-2012, 02:19 AM
Hello all!

I am recently the proud owner of a 2007 750li and would like to introduce myself to the E66 forum. I am coming from an E38 and would like to know some of the more common things I need to be aware of on the E66's

What are the "Must Do" mods and more common mechanical issues I should replace/check at 75K? I took a leap of faith and bought the car from a dealer in VA. It had two owners and was always service by BMW that is the extent of the vehicle information I could obtain outside of the Car Fax (The car is in amazing condition)

I am currently deployed in Afghanistan and will be home permanently on the 24th to pick her up! The enthusiast has been reborn in me again and now I need my "Forum Fix"

"Search" has always been my friend however bandwidth is horrible out here and hopefully someone can give me the cliff notes!

(I posted a simular post in the introductions forum as well to stay in the spirit of the forum requierments)

Thanks!!!!

Suri [TBR]
09-14-2012, 03:21 AM
Beautiful new car man and thanks for serving! :thumbup: I am not too familiar with the mechanical issues but many members on here should be able to help you with that.

As far as must-do mods go, it really depends on what look you're looking for. In my opinion, a few mods that look great but still keep the car classy are:

1) ACS Roof Spoiler (you can get a replica off of eBay that is perfectly fine and MUCH cheaper)
2) ACS Aluminum Pedals (also replicas from eBay)
3) If you want a little bit extra growl, you can replace the smaller muffler out of the two with a MagnaPack which is made by MagnaFlow and you can choose to keep the butterfly valve normal (opens under heavy acceleration so you only hear the growl when you are driving aggressively) or force the butterfly valve open (it is a better sound all of the time)
4) If you believe the wheels get dirty too fast, you can replace your brake pads with Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads which will give you very VERY little brake dust = clean wheels!
5) Umnitza License Plate LED's straight from Umnitza's website - these really update the look of the car.
6) A lot of people like to switch out the Angel Eyes to MTEC V3's which are 6000k rather than the stock yellowish (~3800k) look - and they are MUCH brighter.
7) With that being said, many people also switch out their headlight bulbs to 6000k and then get 6000k HID fogs as well!
8) If you have the Logic7 sound system, you're going to want to equalize it well. It takes a lot of trial and error but is best to just mess around with it so you can get the best sound for your liking. If you're having any trouble, PM me and I can send you a picture of my settings as guidance!
9) If you feel there is not enough bass, you can replace the 8" subwoofers under each seat with Earthquake subs OR if you're looking at doing a trunk setup, there are a lot of threads on here with different ways to go about it. However, I believe in order to do anything of that sort, you need to purchase "Technic's Harness". I have absolutely no idea what it is but I know it allows for you to run the Logic7 amp and an aftermarket amp at the same time - and it was made by a member on here!
10) A front license plate delete kit
11) When buying tires, a lot of people are very happy with the Continental DW's. I personally love the Michelin Pilot Super Sports but they are WAY too expensive :(

Other than that, many people lower their cars and add 21's or 22's but your car is already lowered with the sport package and your wheels are beautiful :D

I wish you the best of luck with the 7 man - she'll definitely keep you happy!

Dabarberbob
09-14-2012, 04:07 AM
Do your 21's rub?

I also contacted Lucie at DVD in Motion and unfortunately the don't have a software unlock for the 2007 E66 yet? Any good suggestions?

Thanks

Suri [TBR]
09-14-2012, 04:16 AM
Do your 21's rub?

I also contacted Lucie at DVD in Motion and unfortunately the don't have a software unlock for the 2007 E66 yet? Any good suggestions?

Thanks

Nope, they don't rub at all. And I'm running 245/35/21 in the front and 295/30/21 in the back, without spacers.

Tenn
09-14-2012, 06:51 AM
Welcome to 7 World. That's a great list of Mods/Upgrades Suri!

1bad540
09-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Welcome aboard, and great reply Surie.:thumbup:

Gor@AcutePerformance
09-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Enjoy it in the best of health bud, as far as mods I would do rims and a drop
(I know its the new body, but you get the idea ;) )
http://www.adv1wheels.com/adv1wheels/advgal/cache/bmw/bmw-750-adv10tf/adv1velos7series1_w1200.jpg

pmpn8ez
09-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Hello all!

I am recently the proud owner of a 2007 750li and would like to introduce myself to the E66 forum. I am coming from an E38 and would like to know some of the more common things I need to be aware of on the E66's

What are the "Must Do" mods and more common mechanical issues I should replace/check at 75K? I took a leap of faith and bought the car from a dealer in VA. It had two owners and was always service by BMW that is the extent of the vehicle information I could obtain outside of the Car Fax (The car is in amazing condition)

I am currently deployed in Afghanistan and will be home permanently on the 24th to pick her up! The enthusiast has been reborn in me again and now I need my "Forum Fix"

"Search" has always been my friend however bandwidth is horrible out here and hopefully someone can give me the cliff notes!

(I posted a simular post in the introductions forum as well to stay in the spirit of the forum requierments)

Thanks!!!!

Great purchased. That's the exact 7 series I been wanting. Alpine white sport package with two tone interior, sport mesh wheels.

WALKDBEAST
09-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Nice 7 bro. Welcome to the forum. Soldiers coming out of Afghan usually transition through Kyrgyzstan. I've been in this country for a minute. If you're coming through and would like to meet PM me and I will shoot you my cell.

Db750
09-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Hello all!

Thanks!!!!

Man that is a beautiful 7. Perfect color combo and options. The creme/black interior is the best non individual interior and the white with sport package/wheels is sick! Congrats and welcome to the forum.

;7073398']Beautiful new car man and thanks for serving! :thumbup: I am not too familiar with the mechanical issues but many members on here should be able to help you with that.

As far as must-do mods go, it really depends on what look you're looking for. In my opinion, a few mods that look great but still keep the car classy are:

1) ACS Roof Spoiler (you can get a replica off of eBay that is perfectly fine and MUCH cheaper)
3) If you want a little bit extra growl, you can replace the smaller muffler out of the two with a MagnaPack which is made by MagnaFlow and you can choose to keep the butterfly valve normal (opens under heavy acceleration so you only hear the growl when you are driving aggressively) or force the butterfly valve open (it is a better sound all of the time)
4) If you believe the wheels get dirty too fast, you can replace your brake pads with Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads which will give you very VERY little brake dust = clean wheels!
5) Umnitza License Plate LED's straight from Umnitza's website - these really update the look of the car.
6) A lot of people like to switch out the Angel Eyes to MTEC V3's which are 6000k rather than the stock yellowish (~3800k) look - and they are MUCH brighter.
7) With that being said, many people also switch out their headlight bulbs to 6000k and then get 6000k HID fogs as well!
8) If you have the Logic7 sound system, you're going to want to equalize it well. It takes a lot of trial and error but is best to just mess around with it so you can get the best sound for your liking. If you're having any trouble, PM me and I can send you a picture of my settings as guidance!
9) If you feel there is not enough bass, you can replace the 8" subwoofers under each seat with Earthquake subs OR if you're looking at doing a trunk setup, there are a lot of threads on here with different ways to go about it. However, I believe in order to do anything of that sort, you need to purchase "Technic's Harness". I have absolutely no idea what it is but I know it allows for you to run the Logic7 amp and an aftermarket amp at the same time - and it was made by a member on here!
11) When buying tires, a lot of people are very happy with the Continental DW's. I personally love the Michelin Pilot Super Sports but they are WAY too expensive :(

Other than that, many people lower their cars and add 21's or 22's but your car is already lowered with the sport package and your wheels are beautiful :D

There is nothing left to say! Great post Suri.:thumbup:

Rookie2008
09-14-2012, 08:59 PM
;7073398']Beautiful new car man and thanks for serving! :thumbup: I am not too familiar with the mechanical issues but many members on here should be able to help you with that.

Well said bro! You missed Nothing! :D:thumbup:

Rookie2008
09-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Hello all!

Thanks!!!!

Congratulation on your new ride:thumbup:.

Dabarberbob
09-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks everyone - I'm pretty excited, the E38 was hard to give up ***8211; fundamentally how much does the E66 compare to the E38 mechanically outside of the electronics? I***8217;m a ***8220;Wrencher***8221; at heart and love working on them.

Do these 7***8217;s come with the active seat bolsters like the M5***8217;s? I***8217;m not even sure what all my options are:

VIN #: WBAHN835X7DT69751

You guys happy (Dumb Question) with your rides? I haven***8217;t even driven mine yet ***8211; is it quicker, tighter, and bigger than the E38?

(On a side note - I***8217;m an Army Vet but over here as a civilian so I can***8217;t take credit for being a soldier)

Suri [TBR]
09-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks my brothas! I'm glad I could help out :D

Gor@AcutePerformance
09-15-2012, 01:00 PM
^ That's my favorite color on the 7'er, how does the Magnaflow sound on your car? Very nice car bro

Suri [TBR]
09-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks Gor! I appreciate it man. And I think it sounds amazing - just the right amount of growl and not too loud and no drone :D if you look through my threads, I have a few videos delineating the sound

Suri [TBR]
09-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Here it is!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545347

wilk187
09-15-2012, 04:05 PM
[QUOTE=Dabarberbob;7075238]Thanks everyone - I'm pretty excited, the E38 was hard to give up fundamentally how much does the E66 compare to the E38 mechanically outside of the electronics? I'm a "Wrencher" at heart and love working on them.

Not a big difference in the 2. I went from an e38 to an e65 (see my sig pic). Did 75% of my own repairs on my e38 and have done most of the repairs on my e65 (which has been very little other than the front suspension rebuild that i did last month).

dw

Gor@AcutePerformance
09-15-2012, 04:16 PM
;7076005']Here it is!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545347

Damn! What a beast of a car you have bro, really nice

mrgill02
09-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Congrats man .... That White is NICE, rare find.