PDA

View Full Version : Engine braking bad for your car?

becool
09-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Dear 7ers,

It may seem like a ridiculous thread to some of you but let me explain what I'm experiencing these days. I have 06 750li with Pirelli pzerro 245 front and 275 rear width tires on 19inch wheels. I drive my car during summer only and that too about once or twice a week. About 6k miles a year. I'm from Chicago area so in the winter I leave my car in the garage parked for 3 to 4 months. I baby my car a lot. Now here comes the engine braking part. I use a ton engine braking like if I see a red light a mile away I let my foot off the accelerator. Recently if I'm driving at low speed of about 25-30mph I am hearing like noticeable humming noise and even more noticeable of I'm using the engine to slow the car down from 30 mph. At higher speeds it's not noticeable. My tires are about 5 years old and have maybe 10k miles worth of thread left on them. Do you think it's my tires or because of my(if there is a such thing) excessive engine braking I am hearing that humming noise. And what are your thoughts on my driving habits. Am I actually damaging my 7 by babying and engine braking. Sorry for the long post guys.
my current miles 58k
Thank you

GeorgeT
09-15-2012, 05:42 AM
Engine braking is not harmful. I had a similar problem that sounded as if a wheel bearing had gone bad until I replaced my tires.

That being said, you must be driving the folks behind you nuts if you start slowing down a mile before a light.

1bad540
09-15-2012, 07:09 AM
your tires are shot. install new ones you should be good to go. happened on my 540, I thought it was the wheel bearings too.

becool
09-15-2012, 08:09 AM
I always watch out for traffic behind before slowing down a mile ahead or else your right I would make people go nuts. So just to confirm that engine braking does not stress out my drivetrain. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also any recommendation on tires. I prefer quiet ride over anything else.

Suri [TBR]
09-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Either Continental DW or Michelin Pilot Super Sport :thumbup:

Expo BMW
09-15-2012, 12:40 PM
I too dont like using my brakes and coming to a stop either so I do the same thing just not from a mile away. Ive owned this car for a long time and have never had any tranny issues so you should be ok.