PDA

View Full Version : Removing Battery Post - To Turn Off Error Codes

Sircas
09-15-2012, 06:04 AM
How many have removed the Battery Post to reset & remove error codes (Check engine codes, etc.) temporaily. What does this do & it's impact on other electronics?

Me want7
09-15-2012, 06:42 AM
Pretty much resets it, if you have error codes it clears them but after certain mileage they will come back again.

bayerisheteknik
09-15-2012, 08:15 PM
disconnecting batt. erases codes but they pop back up as you may know...since after completion of drive cycles for example...misfire monitor...comp monitor...evap monitor...egr monitor...h2os monitor...etc etc the codes come back until the issue is fixed

but also if disconnecting battery car also suffers and mpg is worse since monitors were erased and car goes to base mode for air/fuel mixture maybe up to 30 miles of continuos driving until again all monitors complete their cycles....

if you erase codes lets say with hand scanner/diagnostic tool than car runs fine since ecu didn't get erased but only error codes DTC

but sometimes disconecting batt. can help if codes pop up for some stupid reason

with 7 series is a gamble since it has electronics,idrive and voltage fluctations/spikes can fry any of the electical systems...

i tried explaining in simple terms but there is a ton of info on web if you are really looking into this...

Me want7
09-17-2012, 05:32 PM
^^ couldn't say it any better. Lol my post looked like sh!t compared to his. :( lol