PDA

View Full Version : Car died

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Car died in a middle of the road. No error no nothing i can turn ignition on but cannot start the car. 1 min b4 that it started making noise same as for example ur cutting with the saw or like a dirt bike. Coming from the top of the engine. Any idea?

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 03:10 PM
This is embarrassing sitting here waiting for the tow truck

N62B44 SGM
09-15-2012, 03:54 PM
I have no idea man! But mann that sucks! Earlier this year mine died and wouldn't start, just wanted to crank, leaving my gf's house at like almost 1am. I ended up getting home with a tow like before 430am :-( I feel your pain!

Sent from my HTC One X using Bimmer App

sirstopher
09-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Sorry dude.....any thought of what is wrong

Db750
09-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Hopefully it's a battery or alternator issue. Pull the codes asap and let us know what's up. Hope it is nothing major; you are one of the guys that really loves their 7.

rkruz
09-15-2012, 04:00 PM
very sorry to hear that. Hoping for positive outcome.

The noise sounds ominous. With that sound from top of engine, wild guess, its something like broken valve or timing chain or some other belt. Did you see anything amiss under hood or fluid under car?

iceman5
09-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Sorry to hear bro. Hope it's something minor. You know how these cars can be. Let us know more once you find out.

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Thx for the support guys i appreciate it and it means a lot. There is no oil or any kinda liquid under car its all good there like i said everything works but it doesnt start.

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 05:19 PM
What is this part? It sounded like nose was coming from there... Its on both sides of the engine

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 05:51 PM
What happens when alternator dies. Car just stalls and thats it? No codes no nothing?

wjjklj
09-15-2012, 06:19 PM
What is this part? It sounded like nose was coming from there... Its on both sides of the engine

Starter solenoid?

sirstopher
09-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Did something get undone when you redid the headliner?

Did they touch the pillars?

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 06:30 PM
I dont think so. It was fine i was driving and didnt have a problem

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Starter solenoid?

What it does?

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 06:49 PM
If alternator is dead will i be able to start the car with another car hooked up or something?

Boosejaw
09-15-2012, 07:03 PM
If alternator is bad, you would see a bunch of warning lights and your car would be running on the battery
Did the car die in traffic or while starting up?

wjjklj
09-15-2012, 07:30 PM
What it does?

It relays a large electric current to the starter. Does the car crank?

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Car doesnt crank. It does exactly same as you would try to start it without putting ur foot on the bpedal. I didnt have xmas lights on my dash. Electrical part is ok. So if its not alternator then what.

Khabar
09-15-2012, 07:39 PM
sorry to hear that.I feel your pain. My car died on me once when i was 200 miles away from home. I had to tow it back home. I hope it will be quick and inexpensive fix.

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 07:41 PM
What was the problem? Anything like mine? Lol yeah it was actually pretty bad every person who went by made a comment. 90% of them thought car was couple years old. Lol

Khabar
09-15-2012, 07:52 PM
mine was different it was started as engine power reduced,then i disconnected battery and after that i did not start. I was faulty DME. I took for 3 months to find out what was wrong. Try to open oil refill cup and see if timing chain is intact or it loose.

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Car is at the shop ill check tmrw.

Khabar
09-15-2012, 07:57 PM
I am thinking about to sell mine and by camaro 2010 3.6l. I am tired of unknown problem from 7's.

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Lol. What pisses me off is car doesnt tell what the hell is the problem it could say in the idrive something like
* dude ur alternator/ fuel pump/ battery is facked now u need to bend over and pay for it oh an btw dont try to reset anything as it wont fix itself*
But actually while i was in the tow truck going to the shop with the driver i asked him if he tows a lot of german cars. He said they are usually american or jap, and most of the time range rover and jag lol. Bmw and mb ones a month

Khabar
09-15-2012, 08:17 PM
he was trying to make u fill better by saying that:)

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 08:26 PM
he was trying to make u fill better by saying that:)

Lol nah i told him to be honest it wont hurt my feelings

JML6278
09-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Lol nah i told him to be honest it wont hurt my feelings

Really sorry to hear about your car troubles. I hope that it's something minor and cheap.

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Thx bro nothing is cheap with 7 i hope it wont take one month to find the problem

JML6278
09-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Thx bro nothing is cheap with 7 i hope it wont take one month to find the problem

I try and do as much of my own work as possible, but once you get to some of the real difficult stuff (Vanos, timing chain, etc) I would bring it to my Indy. We all know that we can get f****d at any time without any warning. That's why you have to factor this cr*p into owning one of these cars. I do have to say that from the outside your car looks great. Like the rear spoilers and rims. Car looks pristine.

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 09:40 PM
look at this vid. my car sounded exactly the same and it says in the comments timing belt guide was loose any idea how to fix it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txDVEQpjlU0

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 10:01 PM
I try and do as much of my own work as possible, but once you get to some of the real difficult stuff (Vanos, timing chain, etc) I would bring it to my Indy. We all know that we can get f****d at any time without any warning. That's why you have to factor this cr*p into owning one of these cars. I do have to say that from the outside your car looks great. Like the rear spoilers and rims. Car looks pristine.

Thx for the compliments man. Shes my baby and i really take care of her.

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 10:10 PM
After a bit of research im 90% sure its my timing chain. So who has and idea here how badly i need to bend over to fix it now

sirstopher
09-15-2012, 10:24 PM
After a bit of research im 90% sure its my timing chain. So who has and idea here how badly i need to bend over to fix it now

Ewwwww, that's not good.

sirstopher
09-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Trying to be positive here.

1. My alternator sounded just like the video. Your alt could have froze up and is toasted.

2. Could be the starter

3 could be that a idler pulley broke, did all the belts looked ok.

4. If it is the chain that requires removal of a ton of stuff to get to it, I have not seen many of these motors fail in this area, the e38 yes, this car no. I have read a couple threads on replacing the guides but never the chain.

Did you get a chance to run any codes?

JML6278
09-15-2012, 10:41 PM

1. My alternator sounded just like the video. Your alt could have froze up and is toasted.

2. Could be the starter

4. If it is the chain that requires removal of a ton of stuff to get to it, I have not seen many of these motors fail in this area, the e38 yes, this car no. I have read a couple threads on replacing the guides but never the chain.

Sounds like it could be the Vanos rattle also, but I could be wrong.

JML6278
09-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Ewwwww, that's not good.

Check out this video of a knocking alternator. Did it sound like the noise was coming from the drivers side? Now that I think about it if your car won't even turn over it may be more likely that it's your alternator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=femdMq713Xk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 10:51 PM

2. Could be the starter

Ouch

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Check out this video of a knocking alternator. Did it sound like the noise was coming from the drivers side? Now that I think about it if your car won't even turn over it may be more likely that it's your alternator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=femdMq713Xk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yup is sounds like my car :((( and if u rev it knocking was louder.
I hope its my alternator. Plus i was playing with hidden menu one day and decided to check my voltage it was running at 12xxxx i came online and ask rookie to go to gis car and check his car for me. His was at 14xxxx. He asked his indy tech and the guy said battery is going dead, but i replaced battery just couple weeks b4 that. As the car was sitting for a year and drained battery completely. Plus car throws ebrake fault now and then after i shut the car off. But it works fine i can engage it and disengage it no problem. So maybe ur right its alternator. I just didnt know it sounds like that when it goes bad. Plus it was a really hot day today and i was in a area with a lot of traffic. I really appreciate all u help and ideas. Really means a lot. It sux that i have to go out of town for work till october.
One more thing. U guys say to read the codes, i hooked inpa but everything seems to be ok. There is no engine light or anything

sirstopher
09-15-2012, 11:09 PM
Kief did a write up about the n62, the chains and sprockets were updated on the n62 that used a newer designed sprocket that would not eat the chain like the e38 m62 motor.

I doubt it's the chain, but who knows. My educated throw at the dart board is that your alternator froze up. That would be a good thing compared to the chain.

If the replacement of the chain is anything like the m62 e38 it again is a lot of work, there are a ton of e38 write ups on bimmerforums. And e38.org.

Did you run any codes?????or go directly to the shop with the car!

Keep us updated.

sirstopher
09-15-2012, 11:13 PM
What year is your car

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 11:16 PM
I went to the shop with the towtruck my laptop was in the car i hooked it up and ran inpa but i wasnt sure what i was looking for i can go tmrw and check if somebody can tell me what exactly i should be looking for

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Its late 03 e66

DFEL750I
09-15-2012, 11:22 PM
If the car is not turning over at all I would say it's your alternator. Remove the alternator belt and try starting the car. Most likely the alternator seized but it didnt snap the belt. With a seized alternator the car will not turn over.

JML6278
09-15-2012, 11:22 PM
Yup is sounds like my car :((( and if u rev it knocking was louder.
I hope its my alternator. Plus i was playing with hidden menu one day and decided to check my voltage it was running at 12xxxx i came online and ask rookie to go to gis car and check his car for me. His was at 14xxxx. He asked his indy tech and the guy said battery is going dead, but i replaced battery just couple weeks b4 that. As the car was sitting for a year and drained battery completely. Plus car throws ebrake fault now and then after i shut the car off. But it works fine i can engage it and disengage it no problem. So maybe ur right its alternator. I just didnt know it sounds like that when it goes bad. Plus it was a really hot day today and i was in a area with a lot of traffic. I really appreciate all u help and ideas. Really means a lot. It sux that i have to go out of town for work till october.
One more thing. U guys say to read the codes, i hooked inpa but everything seems to be ok. There is no engine light or anything

An Alternator is about $800 for a remanufactured one plus labor if you can't do it yourself. I think the shop would charge you more than $800 if they get the part as they always like to make money on both sides. Not sure what the labor costs would be.

JML6278
09-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Its late 03 e66

My e66 is a late 2003 also.

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 11:27 PM
If the car is not turning over at all I would say it's your alternator. Remove the alternator belt and try starting the car. Most likely the alternator seized but it didnt snap the belt. With a seized alternator the car will not turn over.

Amazing news. But i just stopped to let ppl across the road and car just stopped and engine wouldn't start after that. If its 1500$ its ok i dont mind paying that car has 160000 kms on it i think its time for alternator to die

DFEL750I
09-15-2012, 11:27 PM
I went to the shop with the towtruck my laptop was in the car i hooked it up and ran inpa but i wasnt sure what i was looking for i can go tmrw and check if somebody can tell me what exactly i should be looking for

Just read all the errors on the car. It's the top option in INPA when you chose E65. It think it says "functional" or something like that. That will read all the errors on the car when you use the error menu in there. If you see any errors in the DME you can then access the DME under "N62" engine options in INPA and read the error in there....that will usually give you a more descriptive code.

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Just read all the errors on the car. It's the top option in INPA when you chose E65. It think it says "functional" or something like that. That will read all the errors on the car when you use the error menu in there. If you see any errors in the DME you can then access the DME under "N62" engine options in INPA and read the error in there....that will usually give you a more descriptive code.

I did that i saw dme error didnt know what the hell it means. Ill go there tmrw and check it. Thx man.

sirstopher
09-15-2012, 11:30 PM
When my alternator went bad the car was running, did you hear this noise before...... Still drove the car.....then it died?

Mine sounded more like a rod was pushing up threw the head, really loud and scared the $hit out of me as I only owned the car for 4 days.

You have the entertainment package and heated seats the car will have the 180 amp alternator. Sometime in 2003 BMW switched out the water cooled unit??????

I have the water cooled alt in my car and paid 700.00 for the part plus 3 hrs labor, plus tax. Ran about 1100.00.

You can call BMW with your vin and see what part you need. I read that pep boys or another parts house carries a remanufactured alternator for our cars for about 580.00 for the water cooled. It is a duralast???? Don't recall..it did come with a lifetime warrantee where the Bosch has a two year.

I didn't have any faults on my car, no lights, nothing..... Just bang, bang, bang, bang......

DFEL750I
09-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Amazing news. But i just stopped to let ppl across the road and car just stopped and engine wouldn't start after that. If its 1500$ its ok i dont mind paying that car has 160000 kms on it i think its time for alternator to die

If the alternator seized you should be happy it happened at idle. If it happened when you were driving fast it would have snapped the belt as well. When a belt snaps it can fly around and damage something else plus depending on how it snap it can make a loud noise if it hits something under the hood and that would have given you a serious scare :)

sirstopher
09-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Only someone with a e65 would be carting a laptop in the car with dynastic software loaded and a cable....., lol focking cars are priceless.

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 11:43 PM
When my alternator went bad the car was running, did you hear this noise before...... Still drove the car.....then it died?

Mine sounded more like a rod was pushing up threw the head, really loud and scared the $hit out of me as I only owned the car for 4 days.

You have the entertainment package and heated seats the car will have the 180 amp alternator. Sometime in 2003 BMW switched out the water cooled unit??????

I have the water cooled alt in my car and paid 700.00 for the part plus 3 hrs labor, plus tax. Ran about 1100.00.

You can call BMW with your vin and see what part you need. I read that pep boys or another parts house carries a remanufactured alternator for our cars for about 580.00 for the water cooled. It is a duralast???? Don't recall..it did come with a lifetime warrantee where the Bosch has a two year.

I didn't have any faults on my car, no lights, nothing..... Just bang, bang, bang, bang......

I came to my gf work tried to turn around on the parking lot back and forth ( and that was after being stuck in traffic) i turned my music down and i was thinking there is somebody near me driving a dirt bike or cutting wood with the saw. Then i parked and stepped on the gas ( sound became louder) i popped the hood and figured it was coming from my car my first thought was there is something wrong with radiator fan blades maybe one of them flew off or something. Then i shut the car down started again-same thing. Did it couple times actually. Then i drove for about a mile and i stopped to let ppl across the street and the engine cut off

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 11:45 PM
If the alternator seized you should be happy it happened at idle. If it happened when you were driving fast it would have snapped the belt as well. When a belt snaps it can fly around and damage something else plus depending on how it snap it can make a loud noise if it hits something under the hood and that would have given you a serious scare :)

Crap lol turned out im a lucky guy. Lol

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 11:47 PM
I think i have that 180 amp alternator water-cooled. If its under 1500$ im happy. I was actually thinking to replace it next time car goes for oil. Do u guys recommend to replace the belt as well even tho it didnt snap

DFEL750I
09-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Crap lol turned out im a lucky guy. Lol

And you will feel even luckier if you call the mechanic and tell them you think your alternator has seized. Just ask them to remove the belt and try to start the car. The belt comes off fairly easily and it should save you money if they don't have to spend too much time diagnosing the car.

I remember one person on here who bought a 7 dirt cheap because it wouldn't start and all it was only a seized alternator. I'm hoping that we are right and it's just the alternator.

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Only someone with a e65 would be carting a laptop in the car with dynastic software loaded and a cable....., lol focking cars are priceless.

Hahahahaha i agree. It kinda lives there :))))) well got some compliments while waiting for the tow truck. Btw he scratched the **** out of my new exhaust tips (used ama) supervisor came to the shop where the car was being dropped off took pics and told me to call my exhaust guy to let him know hes going to have more business lol. Someone is going to call me from AMA to arrange repairs for new tips

***CCCP***
09-15-2012, 11:54 PM
And you will feel even luckier if you call the mechanic and tell them you think your alternator has seized. Just ask them to remove the belt and try to start the car. The belt comes off fairly easily and it should save you money if they don't have to spend too much time diagnosing the car.

I remember one person on here who bought a 7 dirt cheap because it wouldn't start and all it was only a seized alternator. I'm hoping that we are right and it's just the alternator.

I have my fingers crossed and thats exactly what im going to tell my tech tmrw. What happens when u remove the belt and try to start it? Should i replace the belt

sirstopher
09-15-2012, 11:56 PM
I think i have that 180 amp alternator water-cooled. If its under 1500$ im happy. I was actually thinking to replace it next time car goes for oil. Do u guys recommend to replace the belt as well even tho it didnt snap

Well, if it was me I would replace the belts, I would replace the tensioner pulleys and while they are there replace the alternator bracket gasket as it is prone to leak.

I hope it's something this simple.

DFEL750I
09-16-2012, 12:02 AM
I have my fingers crossed and thats exactly what im going to tell my tech tmrw. What happens when u remove the belt and try to start it? Should i replace the belt

When you remove the belt then the engine does not have to spin the seized alternator so if it's a seized alternator causing the issue, the car would start. Right now the starter can't spin the motor because when the motor starts it spins the belt which spins the alternator... Your alternator is seized so belt can't turn.

With the belt off you are running just on battery power. If you have a fully charged battery theoretically you should be able to run the car for 120 minutes just on battery. Our car uses an AGM battery that has a reserve of 120 minutes.

I would replace the belt as well because you don't know how much stress it was already under with a failing alternator.

***CCCP***
09-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Well, if it was me I would replace the belts, I would replace the tensioner pulleys and while they are there replace the alternator bracket gasket as it is prone to leak.

I hope it's something this simple.
Thx i made copy of what u said to let my mechanic know.

***CCCP***
09-16-2012, 12:16 AM
When you remove the belt then the engine does not have to spin the seized alternator so if it's a seized alternator causing the issue, the car would start. Right now the starter can't spin the motor because when the motor starts it spins the belt which spins the alternator... Your alternator is seized so belt can't turn.

With the belt off you are running just on battery power. If you have a fully charged battery theoretically you should be able to run the car for 120 minutes just on battery. Our car uses an AGM battery that has a reserve of 120 minutes.

I would replace the belt as well because you don't know how much stress it was already under with a failing alternator.

Thx man that makes sense. Ill keep you guys updated on whats going on with this. I was always skipping threads on alternator and battery here. Now it bites me in the azz. I had no time to research thats why i made this thread.

***CCCP***
09-16-2012, 12:17 AM
I really appreciate all ur help and ideas.

RTGrove
09-16-2012, 08:00 AM
So, Im by no means an expert in these cars, but Ive been monkeying with cars for many years... YEars and years ago I had a Lincoln MK 7 LSC (mustang 5.0 in it, etc, great car btw).
I was in downtonw chicago and waiting to make a left turn through traffic...as i started to move, the car just quit dead. everything shut off, car wouldnt crank, etc. Turned out to be an alternator. Sometimes when they fail they take everything out with it (electrically), so you may be very lucky and it could be that simple...
Before then, i had always thought that when an alternator goes bad, it just doesnt charge the battery and the battery suffers a slow death, but you would get warning lights, etc....but i guess not!

pmpn8ez
09-16-2012, 08:38 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems there. I did some research online and I found a DIY alternator install if you're interested. Well written with lots of pix. Here's the link
http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=124647

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/glassgrumman/Alternator/P1000767.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/glassgrumman/Alternator/P1000769.jpg

***CCCP***
09-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Thx guys. I have repair manual and everything i just dont have time for it. im leaving out of town tmrw for work so my mechanic will take care of the alternator. :)))

SFbay
09-16-2012, 01:56 PM
First of all check battery voltage,
If its all ok, try to jump start it, bc if alternator died the battery could simply ran out of juice.
BUT: 99,9% smth is stuck:
Could be ac pump
Alternator or any other bearings
So remove all the belts and Jump start it, almost sure it will start!!!

***CCCP***
09-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Here what i got for the codes

SFbay
09-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Here what i got for the codes

You're not getting it, inpa won't show much when engine is not running
You need to start it first;)
Even water pump might stuck
Remove all the belts first and it will get back to life. Also check if water pump is spinning nicely
If it died while running and now it won't even crank it means it's stuck
If its stuck bc of belts or water pump you're lucky one, if it's crankshaft issue then you need new engine.
Computer won't even spin your starter if it's stuck or uses too much power to spin the starter. Got it?

***CCCP***
09-16-2012, 05:26 PM
I removed that belt which runs through the alternator and tried to start the car it doesnt crank or anything but alternator's pulley isnt moving at all

SFbay
09-16-2012, 05:35 PM
I removed that belt which runs through the alternator and tried to start the car it doesnt crank or anything but alternator's pulley isnt moving at all

So alternator got stuck first and screwed up your engine timing chain probably ;((( ac belt is removed as well?
How is water pump pulley??
Well, now try to turn the crankcase pulley, if it's stuck then engine is seized;(((

***CCCP***
09-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Removed all belts. Everything spins but alternator. But car doesnt crank

SFbay
09-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Removed all belts. Everything spins but alternator. But car doesnt crank

Turn the biggest crankshaft pulley with a tool.... If its not stuck then it's starter relay issue or starter itself, bc you tried to start it with stuck alt

***CCCP***
09-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Yeah it doesnt turn

***CCCP***
09-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Well i tried it with my hands dont have tools on me just couple of screw drivers

SFbay
09-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Yeah it doesnt turn

It should spin a little with screwdriver, but you need 50mm wrench smth, there is big nut in the center...
There is no way you can turn it with bare hands unless you're shwarzenegger in his 30s
Probably valves are touching pistons bc timing got screwed...
Damn that sucks... Alt screwed up the engine... How come your belt didn't snap instead???

Keif
09-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Jump started with belts off? If your alternator is seized, battery is likely dead by now, which would explain the no cranking until jump started.

Still reading the earlier stuff in the thread, so if this has been covered already, just ignore me. =)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

SFbay
09-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Jump started with belts off? If your alternator is seized, battery is likely dead by now, which would explain the no cranking until jump started.

Still reading the earlier stuff in the thread, so if this has been covered already, just ignore me. =)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

He says crankshaft pulley is stuck...
If alt died on the road the battery should be ok, unless alt wasn't working before alt bearing death....
Is it water cooled one??

***CCCP***
09-16-2012, 06:16 PM
It is water cooled one yes. Didnt jump start the car, didnt spin crankshaft pulley with wrench. Car died at less then 1000 rpm as it wasnt moving when that happened

SFbay
09-16-2012, 06:17 PM
It is water cooled one yes. Didnt jump start the car, didnt spin crankshaft pulley with wrench. Car died at less then 1000 rpm as it wasnt moving when that happened

So jump start it then!!! It should start;)
1000rpm should not kill the engine

***CCCP***
09-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Yeah i thought same thing. If that could kill the engine then it was made out of plastic plus my belts were not in a great shape either. Specially that long main belt was pretty banged up

SFbay
09-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Yeah i thought same thing. If that could kill the engine then it was made out of plastic plus my belts were not in a great shape either. Specially that long main belt was pretty banged up

So jump start it and let this breathtaking thread finish with happy ending :)

***CCCP***
09-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Well i left the car at the shop. Its on other side of the city. Ill find out tmrw. Or when they have time to take the car in. I dint have tools nor booster cables on me. I went to the car cuz other member here needed numbers from inpa.

***CCCP***
09-16-2012, 06:30 PM
I will definitely keep everybody updated. Btw bro u scared the sh|t out of me

SFbay
09-16-2012, 06:44 PM
I will definitely keep everybody updated. Btw bro u scared the sh|t out of me

Ny napugal nemnogo;)
No vsyakoe mozhet bit;)

***CCCP***
09-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Ny napugal nemnogo;)
No vsyakoe mozhet bit;)

Ya pripomnyu. Lol

Suri [TBR]
09-16-2012, 08:25 PM
No fair :( we don't understand

Khabar
09-16-2012, 08:45 PM
I do. They just BS in Russian:)

***CCCP***
09-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Lol it wasnt important

***CCCP***
09-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Update :: its alternator. Engine spins all goood.

sirstopher
09-17-2012, 12:48 PM

Well, sorry for the news but the outcome is positive.

Chris

SFbay
09-17-2012, 12:56 PM

YpA!!!
Awesome news!!! I was right I guess?;)

***CCCP***
09-17-2012, 01:48 PM
YpA!!!
Awesome news!!! I was right I guess?;)

Lol i had bad sleep cuz of u

DFEL750I
09-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Glad to hear it was only the alternator as we suspected that was your issue.

***CCCP***
09-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Yup u guys were right

DallasBimmer
09-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Thank goodness your issue was not major. I kept following this thread thinking it was something else also.

***CCCP***
09-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Yup. Got lucky.

rkruz
09-17-2012, 04:51 PM

Boooyyaaa!!

JML6278
09-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Yup. Got lucky.

Does your car have the water cooled alternator? If so it's a $$$ if you let the shop get it for you. If they get it from BMW it could be $1,200 just for the alternator. You definitely want to change the belt (not expensive) and have the Indy check other pulleys while he's there. They aren't expensive to change if he does it while he's doing this work.

I remember getting my all my struts replaced and my Indy didn't tell me to change the strut mounts (cheap). Now if I ever need to get them replaced I would have to pay the same labor as if I was having my struts done since they have to take everything apart to get to them. About a month later I was told by the shop that was straightening one of my rims, that he should have done it. When I asked him about it he just said that it's not standard to do so and that he checked them and they were fine. My response was fine now but they have 85,000 miles on them and they could fail causing me an expensive fix for what could have been a cheap one. I haven't gone back to him since.

Jeff

***CCCP***
09-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Yeah i told him to check everything while he is there. He will put new belts. I already cut him a check 17xx $ something

bayerisheteknik
09-17-2012, 08:43 PM
i got 180amp h2o cooled generator for sale...asking 200 its oem bmw bosh....needs rebuilt

also got 150amp h20 cooled generator for sale....asking 450 its oem bmw bosh....excellent working condition

all it takes to get it out is about 8x 10mm bolts and generator is out,you should have done it your self and save some $$$

btw you didn't have any warning of generator going out??? no warning lights on dash or clunking noise???

JML6278
09-17-2012, 09:41 PM
i got 180amp h2o cooled generator for sale...asking 200 its oem bmw bosh....needs rebuilt

also got 150amp h20 cooled generator for sale....asking 450 its oem bmw bosh....excellent working condition

all it takes to get it out is about 8x 10mm bolts and generator is out,you should have done it your self and save some $$$

btw you didn't have any warning of generator going out??? no warning lights on dash or clunking noise???

It's not just the alternator. You don't need to remove the radiator like the TIS says, but it's not as simple as removing some screws. Not a lot of space to work with, and if you forget to draw out or take a picture of the belt routing you are in for a world of hurt. The fact that it's the water cooled model makes it harder as well.

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/07/45/83

***CCCP***
09-17-2012, 09:57 PM
lol i could do it myself if i had time. im good with that stuff but i had to go out of town for work ill make more money working then trying to fix it myself. so i left it to my mechanic

pkathee
09-18-2012, 02:05 AM
lol i could do it myself if i had time. im good with that stuff but i had to go out of town for work ill make more money working then trying to fix it myself. so i left it to my mechanic

Glad you got it fixed bro. :thumbup:

Just another reason why I got rid of my 760. E65/E66......Um...mmmmm....A lot of uncertainties. :tsk:

***CCCP***
09-18-2012, 02:56 AM
Its getting fixed bro:))) well i knew what i was getting myself into b4 i bought it. Am absolutely in love with the car . I dont think mb has less problems bro. Its sad to see u go. But im happy for you. will stay in touch:)))

bayerisheteknik
09-18-2012, 06:58 AM

i do all my shxx on my cars....don't trust nobody...you take it in to mechanic/shop with one problem and car comes out the shop with 6 other problems...lol

bayerisheteknik
09-18-2012, 07:15 AM
It's not just the alternator. You don't need to remove the radiator like the TIS says, but it's not as simple as removing some screws. Not a lot of space to work with, and if you forget to draw out or take a picture of the belt routing you are in for a world of hurt. The fact that it's the water cooled model makes it harder as well.

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/07/45/83

If i had to go by TIS i would not be able to change my alternator bracket gasket...since they were saying you need engine hoist,special tools etc etc

who ever made TIS needs to go back to university or college....all you need to work on bmw vehicles is tools and common sense and forum like bimmerfest....

well if you forget to draw a picture of belt routing,i guess you shouldn't be working on the car,but there is schematics on google just in case you do....

here is my link doing alternator bracket/alternator and some other small stuff...and i didn't follow TIS...this forum is all you need my friend....alternator replacement is really not that hard just need couple of hours and cool head,and since you in there check for any leaks...vacuum lines etc etc

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637030&highlight=

1bad540
09-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Glad you got it sorted!!

***CCCP***
09-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Glad you got it sorted!!

Thx bro.

***CCCP***
09-18-2012, 09:12 AM
i do all my shxx on my cars....don't trust nobody...you take it in to mechanic/shop with one problem and car comes out the shop with 6 other problems...lol

Lol man i hear you, but sometimes there is no time for it. Ppl have different things going on. And with this car u really need to find yourself trusted mechanic. Most of us have one. And u gotta trust ppl sometimes:)))

bayerisheteknik
09-18-2012, 12:56 PM
im kind of guy that gives benefit of doubt to everyone but learned the hard way too many times....so im just cautious my friend....

but with 7 series i rather do all the work my self...only things i don't touch is a/c systems,since i don't have vacuum machine...

anyways let us know how she is running after you get her fixed..

***CCCP***
09-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Will do:)))

iceman5
09-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Good news cccp glad it's nothing major. Hope you get it back in no time. E65/66 seem to have regular problems. The 760 is a different animal though. With all these German cars some seem to be problem free and others have constant problems. Guess it depends on the mood the Germans were the day of assembly. Mercedes cars seem to drive completely different from their amg siblings. I personally don't love the rise of a regular s550. Whereas any amg model is amazing and well sorted.

***CCCP***
09-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Thx man. I agree. Well my car was ok for a while. Alternator usually goes at this milage so i was expecting it. Lol. Just disnt like the way it happened

TXSTYLE
09-18-2012, 09:56 PM
I did not read thru all 5 pages but I am certainly sorry to hear this happened to you my friend. :cry:
Hope all works out.

~ Big Marcus

rkruz
09-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Thx man. I agree. Well my car was ok for a while. Alternator usually goes at this milage so i was expecting it. Lol. Just disnt like the way it happened

So what year and how many miles is it?

***CCCP***
09-18-2012, 11:27 PM
2003 160.000 kms

***CCCP***
09-18-2012, 11:29 PM
50000 kms on the motor

***CCCP***
10-01-2012, 05:40 PM
So new alternator is in BUT the car does not start. Something electrical. My tech said that it shows that the car is stuck in 3rd. Maybe thats why it doesnt start any idea on how to put it back to neutral using inpa maybe or does anybody have an advice of what module is facked or maybe somebody had that problem. I appreciate all the info.

SFbay
10-01-2012, 06:30 PM
So new alternator is in BUT the car does not start. Something electrical. My tech said that it shows that the car is stuck in 3rd. Maybe thats why it doesnt start any idea on how to put it back to neutral using inpa maybe or does anybody have an advice of what module is facked or maybe somebody had that problem. I appreciate all the info.

So it's not showing "P" on the dash??
So what is it showing then? Blinking gears?
Well first try emergency cable release. It's located near diagnostic port. Remove your metal key and open that small plastic cover, then pull the red handle, it will put your tranny into neutral gear manually. Then it should start. Also read tranny errors.

***CCCP***
10-01-2012, 07:32 PM
So it's not showing "P" on the dash??
So what is it showing then? Blinking gears?
Well first try emergency cable release. It's located near diagnostic port. Remove your metal key and open that small plastic cover, then pull the red handle, it will put your tranny into neutral gear manually. Then it should start. Also read tranny errors.

Thats the first thing i did. Emergency gear release doesnt tell computer that the car is in neutral there is no errors on the transmission they check that as well

sirstopher
10-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Try resetting the transmission thru INPA

SFbay
10-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Thats the first thing i did. Emergency gear release doesnt tell computer that the car is in neutral there is no errors on the transmission they check that as well

So what is it showing on the dash?? How do you know it's stuck in 3rd?
Inpa must show if its stuck in 3rd.
Theoretically it might stuck bc of sudden engine stop. Well if nothing helps remove the pan and move that shifter manually. Weird neutral release should have helped, it
Moves the shifter no matter what.
It's not showing "N" on the dash??
If it was stuck in 3rd you
Would get tranny errors for sure, so find out what's going on there.

***CCCP***
10-02-2012, 02:23 AM
So what is it showing on the dash?? How do you know it's stuck in 3rd?
Inpa must show if its stuck in 3rd.
Theoretically it might stuck bc of sudden engine stop. Well if nothing helps remove the pan and move that shifter manually. Weird neutral release should have helped, it
Moves the shifter no matter what.
It's not showing "N" on the dash??
If it was stuck in 3rd you
Would get tranny errors for sure, so find out what's going on there.

I will talk to my mechanic tmrw im out of town for work. Will find out

bayerisheteknik
10-02-2012, 11:45 AM
damn bro its 2+ weeks now and 7 is still out of commision???

hopefully you will get everything sorted out and get her back on the road

good luck

JML6278
10-06-2012, 07:49 AM
I will talk to my mechanic tmrw im out of town for work. Will find out

Is your car fixed yet?

Lastcombo
10-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Two weeks without my 7 i would go crazy,Good luck Cccp

***CCCP***
10-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Two weeks without my 7 i would go crazy,Good luck Cccp

Lol its ok guys im in no rush i was home after work for 1 day drove the m5 around and went to Vancouver

***CCCP***
10-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Ill update when its fixed

1bad540
10-06-2012, 12:56 PM
U bought an m5??:)

***CCCP***
10-06-2012, 01:08 PM
No brother. My friend has m5 i can take pretty much anytime i want . So technically i have m5 but i dont pay for it. Just for gas.

syrius750Li
10-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Wow, I actually read all the posts...I hope your next post is about you happily driving your 7 once again

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer App

***CCCP***
10-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Wow, I actually read all the posts...I hope your next post is about you happily driving your 7 once again

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer App

Thx man. I knew what i was getting myself into when i bought it

***CCCP***
10-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Im updating this thread just incase if somebody going to find this one having same problems. After replacing alt, car didnt start we changed integrated supply module(160$) and nothing. Tested starter it seemed dead we werent 100% sure bc maybe car was on safety mode due to other module failure and it blocked power to the starter or through the starter. Decided to pull it out and test it on a table as at this point my mechanic was running out of ideas. Pulled it out/ tested/ dead. They fixed my starter for 260$
Put it back in. Car started. All good

Lastcombo
10-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Im updating this thread just incase if somebody going to find this one having same problems. After replacing alt, car didnt start we changed integrated supply module(160$) and nothing. Tested starter it seemed dead we werent 100% sure bc maybe car was on safety mode due to other module failure and it blocked power to the starter or through the starter. Decided to pull it out and test it on a table as at this point my mechanic was running out of ideas. Pulled it out/ tested/ dead. They fixed my starter for 260$
Put it back in. Car started. All good

Another problem solved :clap: now start cruising immidiatly take it for a spin my friend:thumbup::drive:

***CCCP***
10-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Lol not really. Car was ok on the lift. Started couple of times now its throwing 2737 code. I need to synch dme to ews using inpa i dont freaking know how and i cant find it. Ppl say it takes 5 secs using inpa but no1 says how

***CCCP***
10-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Finally car is fixed i successfully sync dme with ews and fired right up. Big thx goes to all of u guys for providing ideas. Big thx goes TO PAPER for explaining how to sync dme and ews.
Thank you all a lot.

Lastcombo
10-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Finally car is fixed i successfully sync dme with ews and fired right up. Big thx goes to all of u guys for providing ideas. Big thx goes TO PAPER for explaining how to sync dme and ews.
Thank you all a lot.

Glad it is Fixxed so you can enjoy your nice ride again my friend:thumbup:

PAPER
10-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Thank you all a lot.

No PROB , HAPPY I COULD HELP GET YOU BACK BEHIND THE WHEEL OF YOUR 7 ...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App

SuperSnoop
10-19-2012, 08:12 PM
How did you get the dme and ews to sync?

***CCCP***
10-20-2012, 12:45 AM
How did you get the dme and ews to sync?

Go to inpa, select e65 (F5) clear all errors and codes then go to BODY, select car access the hit active and there is option sync with ECU. hit that and ir done

***CCCP***
10-20-2012, 12:46 AM
Lol i think they did something with my front turn signal lights. They do not work

BuiltnBoostedZ
12-28-2012, 07:57 AM
An Alternator is about $800 for a remanufactured one plus labor if you can't do it yourself. I think the shop would charge you more than $800 if they get the part as they always like to make money on both sides. Not sure what the labor costs would be.

Just replaced mine...paid $150 for a remanufactured one (non water cooled). rockauto ;)

water cooled are a little more.

Took me 20 minutes to change.