PDA

View Full Version : Le Mans Blue M Sport

HotRodW
09-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Picked her up Saturday. So far, so good, except that it didn't have the "standard" paddle shifters. Still waiting for resolution from BMW since the dealer refused to do squat, but so far I'm not impressed by how it's been handled. To my surprise, the window sticker shows fuel economy ratings at 22/33, which conflicts with what I've read previously about the xDrive models. The configuration is as follows:

Heated front seats
Satellite radio with 1 year subscription
Driver Assistance Package

Park Distance Control
Rear-view camera

Lighting Package

Automatic high beams
Adaptive light control
Xenon headlights
Ambiance lighting

M Sport Line

M steering wheel
M Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters (nope)
High-gloss Roof Rails
Performance Control
Increased top speed limiter
Sport suspension
Aerodynamic kit
Anthracite headliner
Sport seats
Shadowline exterior trim

Ultimate Package

Technology Package
Driver Assistance Package
Premium Package

Premium Package

Universal garage-door opener
Interior mirror with compass
Power front seats with driver seat memory
Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors
Comfort Access keyless entry
Panoramic moonroof
Lumbar support

Technology Package

Navigation system
Voice-command
BMW Assist with Bluetooth

I'm no photographer, but I snapped a few pics after a quick washing this afternoon. The pictures do not do the color justice. The Le Mans Blue is gorgeous, and it really pops in direct sunlight. Picking a color was difficult, but I think I made the right decision. I'm also very happy with the dark crosshatch aluminum trim. I wasn't crazy about the wheels from the pictures I saw, and while they will be a challenge to keep clean, they look really good in person. I had 3M film added to the front bumper and behind the rear wheels. I also had all the window rear of the B pillar tinted (35%). I will update when I get some miles on it. Oh, and golfers rejoice ... regardless of what you may have heard, a set of clubs does fit sideways in the rear of the cargo area.

the_fox
09-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Le Mans blue looks awesome! The one thing that I'd miss is not having a heated steering wheel. Please post more tint pics. Enjoy!

stary
09-16-2012, 09:44 PM
well keep us posted on how BMW handles the "standard" paddle shifters, since myself and a few others are in the same boat. my dealer suggested negative feedback to BMW as a solution, meaning they are powerless.

BlueCZ
09-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Looks awesome! So far my favorite M Sport I have seen on this site.

Wolfex
09-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Congratulations! The color looks amazing. My build was similar except I did the coral red interior (yikes). I can't wait until it arrives next month. The fuel economy website says 22/33 for the xDrive28i and from other driver experience seems to confirm that you can achieve them.

HotRodW
09-18-2012, 05:48 AM
well keep us posted on how BMW handles the "standard" paddle shifters, since myself and a few others are in the same boat. my dealer suggested negative feedback to BMW as a solution, meaning they are powerless.

Well, we're not off to a good start. I was assured I would hear from BMW via my CA yesterday. No such luck!

Looks awesome! So far my favorite M Sport I have seen on this site.

Thanks for the kind words. Needless to say I'm very happy with the trim and color combo.

Congratulations! The color looks amazing. My build was similar except I did the coral red interior (yikes). I can't wait until it arrives next month. The fuel economy website says 22/33 for the xDrive28i and from other driver experience seems to confirm that you can achieve them.

I had actually committed to the Coral Red interior before picking an exterior color. I considered Mineral Gray, Mineral White, Alpine White and Le Mans Blue. My original "final" decision was Mineral Gray over the Coral Red, but then I saw some interior photos of the red that scared me. It looked bright, like day-glo bright. I was pretty sure they were bad photos, but I chickened out anyway. I still think the Mineral Gray/Coral Red combo would look fantastic, but I have no regrets on my decision.

Most early test drives indicated hwy economy would be in the 30 mpg range, which is why I was so surprised. On a nearly 400 mile trip yesterday, the on-board computer showed 27.3 mpg. Most of the miles were highway at 78 mph, but there was a fair amount of stop-and-go in-town driving mixed in over lunch hour.

Wolfex
09-19-2012, 08:11 AM
How does it ride with the sport suspension?

stary
09-19-2012, 01:26 PM

our M-sport s28 rides great! not to hard, but corners like on rails... that's with 18" rims

HotRodW
09-19-2012, 05:19 PM

I included the following trip comments on my Bimmperost thread:

Road trip 9/17/12: I drove to the Chicago area today and logged nearly 400 miles behind the wheel. The ride is Euro firm - a little more so than our Q5, but it wasn't unbearable. The ride on asphalt was very comfortable, even when the road was less than perfect. The car did pitch over expansion joints, so a long trip on a concrete highway might drive me insane. Hopefully the runflats are a contributing factor and switching to conventional tires down the road will improve things.

Cabin noise was minimal with very little tire roar. There is a little wind noise around the driver's side mirror, but again, nothing terrible. The M Sport's seats are very comfortable. Larger bodies might feel pinched by the aggressive bolsters, but I found the seat to be supportive and all-day comfortable. I didn't calculate the fuel economy, but the car's computer shows I averaged 27.3 mpg. I did some in-town driving and most of the highway time was between 75 and 80 mph, so that's not too bad. The car was in Eco Pro mode for most of the trip, and I allowed the Auto Start to function normally. Hopefully it will improve as the engine loosens up.

The biggest surprise by far to come out of this road trip is confirmation that the speedometer reads 4 to 5 mph too high! No exaggeration. Driving home from the dealership Saturday, my wife road my ass for about 10 miles before blowing by me impatiently. At home I endured comments like "old man", "slow poke", and "yes it's a new car but you're not going to break it"! She asked why I was driving the speed limit (70), which I never do. I explained that the cruise was set at 75 when she passed me. She insisted she was going 70 or just above. I thought she was BS'ing me. But not yet comfortable with the BMW's navigation system, I took my Nuvi portable GPS on my trip today. The Nuvi shows real time speed, and it consistently read 4 or 5 mph below the speedometer reading. Obviously I'll take it up with my dealer's service manager, but of all things to have a problem with... the speedometer? In 2012?!?! [Update 9/19/12 - dealer notified me today that 5 mph is totally normal for a BMW, and I'm not to worry about it. Sadly, other BMW owners have recently told me they have similarly inaccurate speedometers, and there is no fix. Apparently, it's done intentionally to comply with German law forbidding speedometers from reading too low?]

That's my initial impression. I would also like to add that it appears as if the thick door sills combined with lower seat height is going to be a problem. My wife can't enter or exit without dragging her pant legs on the rocker panel, and I can only do it if I'm extremely careful. It should be an interesting winter, as I will undoubtedly tire quickly of having soiled pants when meeting with clients. Finally, I still have not heard back from BMW regarding the shift paddles, although I was told I would hear by end of day Monday.

Wolfex
09-19-2012, 07:39 PM
The biggest surprise by far to come out of this road trip is confirmation that the speedometer reads 4 to 5 mph too high! No exaggeration. Driving home from the dealership Saturday, my wife road my ass for about 10 miles before blowing by me impatiently. At home I endured comments like "old man", "slow poke", and "yes it's a new car but you're not going to break it"! She asked why I was driving the speed limit (70), which I never do. I explained that the cruise was set at 75 when she passed me. She insisted she was going 70 or just above. I thought she was BS'ing me. But not yet comfortable with the BMW's navigation system, I took my Nuvi portable GPS on my trip today. The Nuvi shows real time speed, and it consistently read 4 or 5 mph below the speedometer reading..

My Audi does the same thing. Every time I pass one of those radar speed signs I notice that the reading is about 5 mph lower than my speedometer reading.

iamthewalrus
09-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Great looking car! I saw one in Berlin two summers ago and loved it right away. If it came to the US with a manual transmission, I'd have one on order already. We'll just have to wait and see... The new Audi A3 is looking great as a fall-back option. We'll see if they bring Manual+Quattro to The States.

-James
San Francisco, CA
2006 BMW X3 3.0i (m-sport, manual, xenons, premium pkg, premium stereo, park distance control)

Tirpitz
09-19-2012, 09:07 PM
My Audi does the same thing. Every time I pass one of those radar speed signs I notice that the reading is about 5 mph lower than my speedometer reading.

My 2001 Honda CRV reads about 3mph too high. If my incoming X1 does that at least I'll be used to it. But I was kind of looking forward to an accurate speedo.

HotRodW
09-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Great looking car! I saw one in Berlin two summers ago and loved it right away. If it came to the US with a manual transmission, I'd have one on order already. We'll just have to wait and see... The new Audi A3 is looking great as a fall-back option. We'll see if they bring Manual+Quattro to The States.

-James
San Francisco, CA
2006 BMW X3 3.0i (m-sport, manual, xenons, premium pkg, premium stereo, park distance control)

The new A3 looks promising, but I'm pretty pissed they don't plan to bring the Sportback here - at least not initially. After driving wagons, hatches and crossovers for the last 12 years, I simply can't go back to a sedan.

JetLee
10-07-2012, 09:12 AM
I included the following trip comments on my Bimmperost thread:

Road trip 9/17/12: I drove to the Chicago area today and logged nearly 400 miles behind the wheel. The ride is Euro firm - a little more so than our Q5, but it wasn't unbearable. The ride on asphalt was very comfortable, even when the road was less than perfect. The car did pitch over expansion joints, so a long trip on a concrete highway might drive me insane. Hopefully the runflats are a contributing factor and switching to conventional tires down the road will improve things....

Just wondering if you have an updated impression on the X1 M Sport ride quality. I'm on the edge of ordering the xDrive35i M Sport Line with 19" wheels and have some reservations.

I've been able to test with the 18's and 19's at various dealers, but not both wheel/tire combos on the same route as I haven't found any dealers that have cars with both the 18's and 19's in inventory.

We've got some choppy concrete freeways here and plenty of areas where the roads have been patched poorly.

I'll probably go out for one more test drive with the 19's on some particularly choppy sections I identified after leaving the dealer yesterday.

Thanks,

Lee

HotRodW
10-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Just wondering if you have an updated impression on the X1 M Sport ride quality. I'm on the edge of ordering the xDrive35i M Sport Line with 19" wheels and have some reservations.

I've been able to test with the 18's and 19's at various dealers, but not both wheel/tire combos on the same route as I haven't found any dealers that have cars with both the 18's and 19's in inventory.

We've got some choppy concrete freeways here and plenty of areas where the roads have been patched poorly.

I'll probably go out for one more test drive with the 19's on some particularly choppy sections I identified after leaving the dealer yesterday.

Thanks,

Lee

The ride is acceptable on the 18" wheels. I find it firm, but rarely jarring - the exception being expansion joints, which at 80 mph can feel like you're driving over wire cables. I suspect the runflat tires are a contributing factor. I'll know more when I mount the non-rft winter tires in a few weeks.

The ride is not as smooth as my Forester's, but the seats are more supportive making it more comfortable for long stints behind the wheel. I have not driven the car with the 19's, so I cannot comment on the ride with that setup. I do recommend you look at the available replacement tires before committing to the 19" wheels, however. As I've commented elsewhere, there are only a few tire models available for the staggered 19" fitment, all are summer-only rated, and none are cheap.

2013x1
10-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Love your color combination.:)

HotRodW
10-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Love your color combination.:)

Thanks! I snapped a few additional pics last weekend in direct sunlight. It's amazing how much the color varies under different lighting conditions. The color actually looks best under the garage CFL's. BMW does a nice job with their metallics.

Wolfex
10-09-2012, 08:30 AM
The pics look amazing. Can't wait to pick up mine in 3 weeks. It should be hitting the Panama Canal on Thursday.

faustas
10-09-2012, 11:14 AM
The new A3 looks promising, but I'm pretty pissed they don't plan to bring the Sportback here - at least not initially. After driving wagons, hatches and crossovers for the last 12 years, I simply can't go back to a sedan.

Are the new A3's available at dealers already? I looked at them before but the back seats feel cramped and my head would actually hit the ceiling.

faustas
10-09-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm no photographer, but I snapped a few pics after a quick washing this afternoon. The pictures do not do the color justice. The Le Mans Blue is gorgeous, and it really pops in direct sunlight. Picking a color was difficult, but I think I made the right decision. I'm also very happy with the dark crosshatch aluminum trim. I wasn't crazy about the wheels from the pictures I saw, and while they will be a challenge to keep clean, they look really good in person. I had 3M film added to the front bumper and behind the rear wheels. I also had all the window rear of the B pillar tinted (35%). I will update when I get some miles on it. Oh, and golfers rejoice ... regardless of what you may have heard, a set of clubs does fit sideways in the rear of the cargo area.

Car looks good and really makes me want to reconsider the M sport!

A few dumb questions... did BMW add the 3M film to your car? Why just the front bumper (and not front part of the hood as well)?

Is it possible to take some pictures (or link an illustration) on what parts of the bumper and rear wheel area the film covers?

HotRodW
10-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Car looks good and really makes me want to reconsider the M sport!

A few dumb questions... did BMW add the 3M film to your car? Why just the front bumper (and not front part of the hood as well)?

Is it possible to take some pictures (or link an illustration) on what parts of the bumper and rear wheel area the film covers?

I had the film installed by a specialty shop that does a lot of work for my BMW dealership. I really dislike the film edges, that's why I kept the film contained to the front bumper and rear mudflap area. Since the X1's hood is nearly horizontal with very little frontal area wrapping down into the bumper, I thought it would be OK to just wrap the bumper only. I will likely get a few chips on the hood, but to me it looks better without the partial film. Time will tell if I screwed up. The film covers virtually the entire bumper all the way to the panel gaps, and the area behind the rear tire up to the quarter panel seem and rearward to the black painted diffuser. Maybe if I get the right lighting I'll be able to snap a picture or two for you.

HotRodW
10-09-2012, 07:04 PM
3M film behind rear wheels. It shows surprisingly well in the photo, but it's very difficult to see.

faustas
10-09-2012, 09:59 PM
3M film behind rear wheels. It shows surprisingly well in the photo, but it's very difficult to see.

Thanks!

cooolneo
10-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Very nice! What tires does it come with? All season or summer performance? Is it a staggered setup? Thanks.

faustas
10-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Speaking of tires. If you replace the run flats with regular tires, do you also get a spare tire? and where does the spare go?

AzNMpower32
10-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Summer performance tires come with the M sportpaket and thus also the higher speed limiter.

As the X1 comes with run-flats from the factory, no spare tire is included. For vehicles sold outside North America without run-flats, there is a compressor and mobility kit inclusive.

HotRodW
10-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Very nice! What tires does it come with? All season or summer performance? Is it a staggered setup? Thanks.

Staggered summer tires. It seems all M Sports with the standard 18" wheels are outfitted with Goodyear EfficientGrips. The optional 19's come with Pirellis.

HotRodW
10-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Speaking of tires. If you replace the run flats with regular tires, do you also get a spare tire? and where does the spare go?

No spare for me. I need the cargo capacity for other stuff. Instead, I bought one of these ...

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_523620_999_01?rgn=0,0,436,494&scl=1.3&fmt=jpeg&id=0psMDaSFU5y9jpCDysQNrL

http://www.slime.com/shop/safety-spair-70005/

The kit is small, but I don't think it's small enough to store under the cargo floor. I'll rely on roadside assistance when possible and use the Slime kit only in a dire emergency. Despite claims that it's TPMS-friendly, it will probably damage my sensors if used. Hopefully I'll never need it.

Wolfex
11-27-2012, 11:05 PM
HotRodW,
Where did you get your winter tires from? I have to make a purchase soon and was looking around for prices.

HotRodW
11-28-2012, 05:16 AM
HotRodW,
Where did you get your winter tires from? I have to make a purchase soon and was looking around for prices.

I purchased the entire package from the Tire Rack. Unfortunately, Tire Rack's sensors wouldn't communicate properly with the car's TPM system, and I had to replace them with BMW OE units from my dealership at a higher cost. I seem to be the only X1 owner that has had that problem, so I wouldn't necessarily discourage getting the sensors from the Tire Rack. Neither the dealership Service Manager or Tire Rack customer service could offer a logical explanation for the incompatibility.

Wolfex
11-28-2012, 08:13 AM
I purchased the entire package from the Tire Rack.

If I may ask, what tires did you get?

HotRodW
11-28-2012, 02:18 PM
If I may ask, what tires did you get?

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's mounted on 17" Rial Salernos. Surprising dry road performance, noticeably improved ride and good fuel economy. Haven't had an opportunity to try them in snow yet, however.

HBWT
11-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Neither the dealership Service Manager or Tire Rack customer service could offer a logical explanation for the incompatibility.What did the TireRack do to make things right?

HotRodW
11-30-2012, 07:52 AM
What did the TireRack do to make things right?

Tire Rack customer service was very cooperative and worked with me to try to resolve the problem - even sending out a second set of sensors at not cost to me. When all attempts to reset using TR's sensors failed, they issued a pick up on their sensors and a credit is pending. Assuming they make good on the credit, I find it hard to blame the Tire Rack for the problem. The frequency of their sensors was correct, and they use OE grade hardware. If the dealer service dept did all they claimed, there is no explanation. Regardless, the fiasco cost me close to $200 more than expected, and a LOT of my time.

HBWT
11-30-2012, 08:55 AM
Regardless, the fiasco cost me close to $200 more than expected, and a LOT of my time*****...a road I don't want to go down. I loath run-flats but liked the X1 enough to buy it anyway.

I figured I'd give the run-flats a chance...and be prepared to buy a set of non-staggered wheels and tires as replacement. I'll get 18x8 all the way around and probably fit them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. I'll keep a tire plugging kit and a compressor in the boot in case I have a puncture.

FWIW, Tire Rack lists ONLY the Pirelli Cinturato P7 as the OEM tire for the x28 with M-sport even though they also carry the Goodyears. I hope mine doesn't come with Goodyears...never have liked them.

nospam
12-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Pirelli is the only runflat to fit the 19s. Pirelli, Goodyear, and Bridgestone have fitment for the 18s. There is a chance you will get Pirelli or Goodyear on the 18 M Sports. I'm hoping for Pirelli over the Goodyears (I ordered with the 18s).

SilverX3
12-01-2012, 11:56 AM
such a bewty

PatT
12-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Just picked up my X1 xDrive35i. Le Mans blue with black leather interior. M sport line with the premium package and heated seats. M sport steering wheel with paddle shifters. When I ordered it there were two choices for the M sport steering wheel, one with paddle shifters one without, neither choice was at an additional cost. Came with Goodyear (not sure of the exact "model" -put them in storage) run flats performance tires. The tires are 225/45 R18 on the front (with 8" wide rims) and 255/40 R18 (with 9" wide rims) on the back. Since I live in New England but travel to warmer weather for part of the winter I wanted all seasons. Dealer installed Michelin Pilot sport A/S plus, on the existing rims. Has all of 50 miles on it but love it so far. Previously owned a z4, which I didn't really care for, a 335xi and traded in my 2011 x3 for this x1. Happy to answer any questions if anyone wonders what comes with this line/package.

JetLee
12-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Just picked up my X1 xDrive35i. Le Mans blue with black leather interior. M sport line with the premium package and heated seats. M sport steering wheel with paddle shifters. When I ordered it there were two choices for the M sport steering wheel, one with paddle shifters one without, neither choice was at an additional cost. Came with Goodyear (not sure of the exact "model" -put them in storage) run flats performance tires. The tires are 225/45 R18 on the front (with 8" wide rims) and 255/40 R18 (with 9" wide rims) on the back. Since I live in New England but travel to warmer weather for part of the winter I wanted all seasons. Dealer installed Michelin Pilot sport A/S plus, on the existing rims. Has all of 50 miles on it but love it so far. Previously owned a z4, which I didn't really care for, a 335xi and traded in my 2011 x3 for this x1. Happy to answer any questions if anyone wonders what comes with this line/package.

PatT,

I'd be interested in a comparison between your X3 and the X1. Was the X3 the xDrive35i and what packages/options did you have on it? Why did you go from an X3 to the X1?

Did you compare the ride with the X1 without sport suspension to the M Sport?

Thanks,

Lee

PatT
12-13-2012, 06:31 PM
The x3 felt more like a truck, I suppose partly due to the size. It was the xdrive35i and had the sport activity, convenience, cold weather and premium packages. I liked and drove that and my husband drove a 335i xdrive, which was leased and since turned in. Relocating/downsizing so we decided try 1 car for a while. The x1 seems like a good meeting in the middle. There were very few x1's to test and none configured the way we ordered, he likes the sport suspension and I don't really care either way, so didn't really consider anything else. In the x3 we could choose between sport suspension mode or not. The x1 feels more like a car, more sporty. But the x3 was terrific, handled well, good gas mileage, turned on a dime and was sneaky in that the performance was a bit unexpected for an SUV. The x3 would be a fine family vehicle, but I think the x1 would be small for more than 2 people on a regular basis. I did like that the idrive was standard on the x3 but it is not on the x1 (I think you have to get the navigation and I just use my iPhone)

faustas
12-14-2012, 10:08 AM
PatT,
Since you have owned several BMWs, I'm wondering what you do as far as dealing with flat tires for the RFTs.

HBWT
12-14-2012, 10:22 AM
PatT,
Since you have owned several BMWs, I'm wondering what you do as far as dealing with flat tires for the RFTs.

YOu didn't direct this question to me but...
I keep an eye on the TPMS and if it indicates a "low" tire then I find the nail/staple(or whatever) and remove it and then use a tire plugging kit to repair the tire. Then I pump up the tire with a compact compressor. Keep the kit and the pump in the boot and have used it several times.
Eventually though, I "tire" of the runflats and dump them for conventional tires.

PatT
12-14-2012, 12:22 PM
I have not had any tire issues at all, other than a sensor indicating pressure was low. But then I haven't had a flat tire on anything since 1979. The Z4, 335, X3 all had runflats - no issues. The X1 came with runflat performance tires, which I have replaced (for the winter) with all season non run flats.

nospam
12-14-2012, 01:21 PM
I'm too old/lazy to repair or change tires anymore. I rely on BMW/AAA roadside assistance. I don't let the BMW dealer deal with my tires, America's/discount tires is my go to for tires.

We did get rid of runflats and carry a donut (from BavAuto) in our 1 and 3 series. I'm not sure if there is a proper donut for the X1 and I'm not sure I want a donut on the xDrive. We will probably stick with RFTs on the X1.

faustas
12-16-2012, 02:16 PM
I remember another person on the forums went with a compact compressor as well (that claims not to damage the TPMS).
Does anyone know the cost to repair/replace the TPMS?

I guess for a lot of folks here that do away with the RFTs, roadside assistance is the way to go.

nospam,
why do you not want a donut on the xDrive?

nospam
12-18-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm planning on sticking with RFTs (my x28i M Sport should be here by Feb.). I don't know how a donut would affect the AWD system and I don't want tire smell in the cabin (since there is no trunk). We kept the 128i and donut, RFTs won't go back on that car for now.

With the softer suspension (than I'm used to) I may not find the OEM RFTs objectionable, I didn't on test drive (didn't check which tires were outfitted). The new RFTs are said to be better than the old Bridgestone RE050As that were standard on BMWs. After the OEMs wear out i plan to move to the Bridgestone S001s (not sure why these aren't the OEM). Best case scenario for me is that Michelin releases a compatible Pilot Sport PS2 ZP fitment or an even better next generation RFT is available in a few years.