PDA

View Full Version : PDC Fault + INTEGRATED MODULE SUPPLY BMW E65 E66 Location

wog boy
09-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Hi,

Recently my PDC failed and there is an active fault on my Idrive, Once a gear is engaged the PDC switch led flashes and there is no clicking from any of the sensors on the front bar or rear bar. Convinced the PDC Module is at fault at this stage after I checked the main fuse box beside the battery and the fuse box in the glove box I found this additional fuse box for sale on eBay and was wondering if anyone new the location of this?

RRP for a replacement PDC Module #66209145158 in Australia is $810.80 :thumbdwn:

Thanks

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-OEM-E65-E66-FRONT-INTEGRATED-SUPPLY-FUSE-FUSSES-BOX-MODULE-CONTROL-7510638-/261067339665?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc8d37791

pmpn8ez
09-18-2012, 02:54 AM
I read it's somewhere in the engine bay under the air cabin filter.

wog boy
09-18-2012, 04:36 AM
Yeah thanks man, I had to word the Search function a few times to read that as well so I thought I would take a photo and post it up here for future referance. Attached are a few pics of the location and of the Module Supply and fuses.

So far I traced the plug for the front PDC sensors next to the engine air filter box and have no power to it, I found the PDC module in the boot hidden under the car jack mould just above the battery, there are 3 plugs to it, I assume 1 for the front sensors, 1 for the rear sensors and 1 + supply - earth, communication plug ect.....if I open circuit either front sensor or rear sensor plug it still faults a error with the PDC on the iDrive, if I open circuit the smaller + supply - earth plug the error disappears off the iDrive so thats why I assume the PDC module is faulty, I opened the case on the PDC module easily with a small flat blade screw driver and was suprised to find it wasn't solid state, no traces of a electrical short smell detectable.

Any ideas, I don't really feel like travelling 1,000kms to the closest Dealer for such a handy safety device :dunno:

wog boy
09-18-2012, 07:00 AM
Well tonight I disconnected the battery for just over 4 hours and still fault in iDrive. Where can I get a copy of an electrical schematic for these cars online?

stuartjohn24
09-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Yeah thanks man, I had to word the Search function a few times to read that as well so I thought I would take a photo and post it up here for future referance. Attached are a few pics of the location and of the Module Supply and fuses.

So far I traced the plug for the front PDC sensors next to the engine air filter box and have no power to it, I found the PDC module in the boot hidden under the car jack mould just above the battery, there are 3 plugs to it, I assume 1 for the front sensors, 1 for the rear sensors and 1 + supply - earth, communication plug ect.....if I open circuit either front sensor or rear sensor plug it still faults a error with the PDC on the iDrive, if I open circuit the smaller + supply - earth plug the error disappears off the iDrive so thats why I assume the PDC module is faulty, I opened the case on the PDC module easily with a small flat blade screw driver and was suprised to find it wasn't solid state, no traces of a electrical short smell detectable.

Any ideas, I don't really feel like travelling 1,000kms to the closest Dealer for such a handy safety device :dunno:

Hi,

Yes removing the PDC module from the car will stop the error messages, basically becuase its not broadcasting the error on the K-CAN bus.
If the PDC module detects a problem with any of the sensors it will cut power to them.

Interestingly your PCB looks very different to mine, a different layout and my enclosure is grey. What do you mean about it not being solid state?

Im pretty familiar with the PDC system and how it works to PCB component level!. (i can bore you with it if you wish!). Any faulty sensor will throw an error, which includes having them open circuit. All sensors have to be good. If you have INPA it will tell you exactly what sensor is causing the trouble.

A test you could try, pull the power from the PDC module, then plug it back in, when it powers up it should do a self test, it will pulse all sensors to see if they are working this lasts for around 10 seconds. See if you can hear them clicking.

One note, when I tested the PDC module it was not connected to the CAN, simply remove wires 2 and 8 from the small black power connector. (dont short them out) if it does not self test when connected to the car.

If one of the sensors are duff they can be had on ebay brand new for around 20 for the fronts and 35 for the rears, they are made by one company, SWS in germay, you DO NOT need BMW ones, I have jaguar x type ones in the rear bumper of mine and they work great, and I have a brand new set of front ones i got for 70. (mine were originally stolen)

Hope this helps?

Stuart

wog boy
09-20-2012, 04:27 AM
Hi Stuart,

Sorry for the late reply. I will try your recommendations but from what I have already tried i don't get any noises from the front or rear sensors and I find it really strange that I am not getting any power to the front plug module harness side at all. Any tips on how to remove the bus wires from the black module plug without wrecking the connector. I'll have a look at it next Monday when I am on days off.

I work as a diesel fitter in an underground mine and almost all of our machines that have modules like on our cars are drowned in a resin style glue which we call solid state over here so that all the circuits are sealed with a non conductive resin making them resistant to the harsh underground enviroment conditions, my old 300c HID levelling tranmitter module was solid state and they are mostly Mercedes components in them.

Ill have a look at my drama next week when I am on days off and let you know and go right ahead with how the module works, I am always keen to learn new things.

Cheers Nik

crombo97
09-20-2012, 04:46 AM
Hey Nik
Which mine do you work at??

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Bimmer App

wog boy
09-20-2012, 05:19 AM
Hey man. I work for Xstrata Zinc at George Fisher Mine

stuartjohn24
09-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Hi,

Sorry for late reply! Yeah if you have an error with the sensors the PDC module will cut off the power to the sensors.

The PDC module will power the sensors again for around 10 seconds if you cycle the power supply. But selecting reverse will not power them if an error is stored, an they must all be working.

Sorry, I misunderstood, solid state we call potting compound or potting resin.

Most of the PCB's are sprayed with conformal coating/PCB laquer, but yeah your right the PDC module has nothing at all!

Let me know how you get on,

Stuart

Khabar
09-23-2012, 09:37 AM
One faulty sensor willl cut off all PDC system and give a error code

wog boy
10-23-2012, 04:08 AM
Hi,

Sorry for late reply! Yeah if you have an error with the sensors the PDC module will cut off the power to the sensors.

The PDC module will power the sensors again for around 10 seconds if you cycle the power supply. But selecting reverse will not power them if an error is stored, an they must all be working.

Most of the PCB's are sprayed with conformal coating/PCB laquer, but yeah your right the PDC module has nothing at all!

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I finally had a chance to cycle the PDC power supply which is the smallest plug and I am not getting any noises from the sensors, I had the key inserted and the ignition on but the engine not running, am I missing a step? I have not disconnected any wires from the plug either.

stuartjohn24
10-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Hi,

Ok, try it again with wires 2 and 8 removed from the power plug. If you have a volt meter check you are definitely getting supply to the PDC module when your ignition is on.

Insulate wires 2 and 8 from each other and the bodywork when trying this, I'm sure your aware of that anyway.

I know for sure just applying 12v to the PDC module with no other connections like CAN, PDC button etc... Makes it go into a self test.

Hope this helps?

Stuart

xkye77
07-01-2013, 03:32 PM
It happened on mine recently. Just bought the car few days ago. Was working fine in fine weather but not after a wet and raining day. Not sure what's going on but hopefully it is not going to cost a lot to fix it.
Active error in iDrive. Reverse gear engaged the PDC button flash yellow. But sometime it works fine. Not sure what is going on in there.

SteweD
12-11-2013, 07:33 AM
Did you ever resolve this issue ?

wog boy
12-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Yes I did sorry. Like I suspected the PDC module was at fault. Cost of module was AUD$700 and $75 to program module to cars VIN

pjtyom
12-18-2013, 11:44 AM
Hi every one! I have a 2003 745 li with a problem with the pdc, the pdc switch blink on green light, sometimes give me the error "pdc malfunction", sometimes the pdc WORKS.... All the sensors are in working, all have the clicking sound. I plug/unplug the PDC module several times.

The problem started one day in the morning that I put the car on drive without wait for all lights off on the cluster. All lights referred to brake, abs, parking brake, etc. These lights disappears on the next day but the pdc malfunction message not gone.

Any idea?

Sorry for my english and thanks for the help!

rushmach
12-18-2013, 01:14 PM
PDC modules don't need to be coded !

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

7series e65
12-30-2013, 05:30 AM
Get the read out frm acomputer hook up data .u probably find low voltage mainly the alternator us not charging properly.low voltage .I spent $120 for it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

wog boy
12-31-2013, 04:36 PM
I replaced the PDC module myself in the carpark at BMW and it would not work until they connected up their scan tool and and updated all the modules, that exercise took around 1 hour while I was there.

mybmw408
01-31-2014, 06:46 AM
Hi,

Stuart
What and where is the PCB??? It's not a module in car according to manual.

my05_745li
03-09-2014, 01:03 PM
I did the press the ear against the PDC sensor test and found that the front and rear corner sensors on the passenger side weren't clicking. So I replaced them today and they're now clicking but still getting the dreaded PDC malfunction message. Do I have to wait a specific amount of time for the PDC system to reset or calibrate itself or may it be time for a new PDC module?