PDA

View Full Version : Valve Cover Gaskets on V12

SuperSnoop
09-18-2012, 01:34 PM
How can you tell if you need to replace the valve cover gaskets on a 760Li? I took my car in for an inspection at the dealer where I was told it has a "healthy" leak from the valve covers. I haven't seen any oil on the garage floor, which I would expect if it actually has a leak. I'm not sure if they were just trying to find something wrong, or if it's really a problem.

How much should I expect to pay to have the gaskets replaced? The dealer quoted $2,500+, but another thread on this board says an independent shop should charge around $1,000. Of course, then the thread turned into a p***ing contest over how to do it right, so I'm not sure how much of that I can trust.

Or, how hard is it to replace the gaskets myself? I've replaced them on a Honda and a number of Chevy's, but never on something this complex.

Abb745
10-17-2012, 01:51 PM
I have a 745li and was wondering the same things you are? What did you end up doing?

csmeance
10-17-2012, 02:19 PM
How can you tell if you need to replace the valve cover gaskets on a 760Li? I took my car in for an inspection at the dealer where I was told it has a "healthy" leak from the valve covers. I haven't seen any oil on the garage floor, which I would expect if it actually has a leak. I'm not sure if they were just trying to find something wrong, or if it's really a problem.

How much should I expect to pay to have the gaskets replaced? The dealer quoted $2,500+, but another thread on this board says an independent shop should charge around $1,000. Of course, then the thread turned into a p***ing contest over how to do it right, so I'm not sure how much of that I can trust.

Or, how hard is it to replace the gaskets myself? I've replaced them on a Honda and a number of Chevy's, but never on something this complex.

IMO have an independent place check out the gaskets first before you spend the money on needless repairs. I would suggest a good indy to do the replacement over the dealer! However when it comes to removing the intake manifold and any of those gaskets, leave it to the dealer since they are VERY tempermental!!!

SuperSnoop
10-17-2012, 03:02 PM
I've gotten quotes from $1,400 to $2,200 from indys. One said it wasn't worth doing, and another said to change the spark plugs at the same time. I'm not sure what I'll do yet; it hasn't dropped the oil level, but I'll probably have the work done within the month.

20sBurning
10-18-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm in the process of changing my valve cover gaskets on my V12 as we speak. I posted a picture of the intake manifold off on instagram. My user name on there is the same on here. New parts were ordered from bmwpartstore.com

alpinaman24
10-18-2012, 09:26 AM
by the time the leak from the valve cover reaches the floor your prolly gna have other problem ..

lift the car and from behind where the exahust manifolds come down you can see the cyl. heads and if their wet with oil then most probably your valve cover gastet is leaking

wilk187
10-18-2012, 06:40 PM
doing a VCG job is time consuming, but not super difficult. easiest way to check is to pull a spark plug or 2 (prefereable one from each corner) and check it for oil. if theres oil, you have a leak. I paid the bmw dealer to change the vcg once on my e38, but i bought all the parts myself online. That alone saved me a couple hundred bucks.

flash_n
10-19-2012, 02:16 AM
I'm in the process of changing the vgc on my 745li and it's a PITA if i ever saw one. I'll post some pics if i get it back together in a functional state.

alpinaman24
10-19-2012, 09:10 AM
e38 and 745 is easy compared to the v12 ..

e38 v12 is a pita aswell ..

any v12 is theres never any room to work on a v12

be happy its not a s600 if one coil goes bad the whole one side gets replaced 1200 dollar part and its a common problem lol

Abb745
10-27-2012, 05:46 PM
How in the world do you get the long set of wires that run from valve gasket covers to cab off to remove the gasket cover? I don't even know what it is!