PDA

View Full Version : Run Flats for 22" wheels

Vecoplan
09-19-2012, 06:23 AM
Backstory- skip to next paragraph if you aren't interested :-)
So I decided to keep my MHT Vendettas because, well no one was willing to give me what I needed out of them to justify selling them for the wheels I had been eyeing to replace them. So... I have them apart right now replacing the chrome plated carbon steel bolts that hold them together with MHT's Titanium bolt kit (the chrome had starting rusting- yuck) and am going to spend this weekend polishing the barrels while I have the wheels apart and WHILE I HAVE all these apart I got to thinking that if I'm going to put new tires on... well now is the time. All this to say:

I have 265/30/22 front and 295/25/22 rear Conti DWS on there right now and would feel much more comfortable with having a run flat vs. a standard tubeless radial. Do anyone know of such a beast of a run-flat? I've never seen anything bigger than a 20" runflat.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

First_745Li
09-19-2012, 07:00 AM
Backstory- skip to next paragraph if you aren't interested :-)
So I decided to keep my MHT Vendettas because, well no one was willing to give me what I needed out of them to justify selling them for the wheels I had been eyeing to replace them. So... I have them apart right now replacing the chrome plated carbon steel bolts that hold them together with MHT's Titanium bolt kit (the chrome had starting rusting- yuck) and am going to spend this weekend polishing the barrels while I have the wheels apart and WHILE I HAVE all these apart I got to thinking that if I'm going to put new tires on... well now is the time. All this to say:

I have 265/30/22 front and 295/25/22 rear Conti DWS on there right now and would feel much more comfortable with having a run flat vs. a standard tubeless radial. Do anyone know of such a beast of a run-flat? I've never seen anything bigger than a 20" runflat.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

I've seen them in 22's. The shop I get my wheels from can get them but I have to say they are crazy expensive.

Vecoplan
09-20-2012, 06:50 AM
I've seen them in 22's. The shop I get my wheels from can get them but I have to say they are crazy expensive.

Honestly, I'm past crazy expensive. If you can find out what brands your shop can get I'd be very interested.

1bad540
09-20-2012, 06:53 AM
pretty sure the added stress of the run flat on a 22" may bend even easier.

First_745Li
09-20-2012, 06:55 AM
Honestly, I'm past crazy expensive. If you can find out what brands your shop can get I'd be very interested.

I'll call them this morning and PM you the information.

First_745Li
09-20-2012, 07:03 AM
pretty sure the added stress of the run flat on a 22" may bend even easier.

I had one bad experience about run flats with a Honda Odyssey Touring we had and since then I've been against them... Stupid a** Michelin PAX run flat tires, that only the Honda Dealership could change or and authorized PAX reseller. The cost of 4 new tires were $2500. JUST THE TIRES!!
And that price was after I contacted Michelin and bi**ched about the setup. They got me the first time, but not the second time 25K miles later. I ended up going with aftermarket wheels and tires.. solved that problem.

I don't know, maybe it was just me... but it felt as if the ride was rougher with run flats?..

First_745Li
09-20-2012, 07:50 AM
I called them this morning, not available...they were piloting some at one point but not feasible.

SuperSnoop
09-20-2012, 09:08 AM
I used this link at Tire Rack and didn't come up with any 22" run-flats. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/sizes/results.jsp?diameter=22

There are a few in the 21" size:
325/30
285/45 ($1,100 PER TIRE!)
285/35
275/30
255/50
245/35

1bad540
09-20-2012, 09:33 AM
I had one bad experience about run flats with a Honda Odyssey Touring we had and since then I've been against them... Stupid a** Michelin PAX run flat tires, that only the Honda Dealership could change or and authorized PAX reseller. The cost of 4 new tires were $2500. JUST THE TIRES!!
And that price was after I contacted Michelin and bi**ched about the setup. They got me the first time, but not the second time 25K miles later. I ended up going with aftermarket wheels and tires.. solved that problem.

I don't know, maybe it was just me... but it felt as if the ride was rougher with run flats?..

The ride with runflats is terribly more harsh, its really a shame that car co's find it cheaper to not give you a jack and a spare, and to sell you ****ty performing tires.

Vecoplan
09-20-2012, 04:09 PM
It isn't a car company issue. I had a full size spare when i had stock 19" wheels and I have a compact donut right now, because I can't have a full size spare as I have staggered 11" and 9" wide wheels. I drive ALOT and often times am several hundred miles from civilization. While I realize run flats ride worse the proposition is better than having a flat and having to drive a couple hundred miles on a donut.

Suri [TBR]
09-20-2012, 05:29 PM
When you're running a spare, the width of the tire doesn't matter - only the overall diameter. Why else do you think skinny donuts work? Granted the handling will be terrible.

But anyways, my point is that if you have a spare that is the same size as your front wheel, you can but it on the front OR the back. I've done it many times and it's fine

Vecoplan
09-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Thanks. I guess an obvious reply like yours is merited considering how short I made my comment. Point of story- I'm not paying $1800 plus tire for a full size matching spare that won't fit in my spare compartment and will only have a 50% chance of the directional tire being pointed in the correct direction, Before some twat makes the comment- I'm also not going to run a stock tire in the trunk in case of a flat (I sold my stock set years ago), and it looks like I'm stuck with the donut. If you know of a 22" run flat- please reply to this thread. If you don't like run flats, or you want to make some obvious comment that doesn't apply to my question - go find another thread please. Thanks.

Suri [TBR]
09-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Sorry man - didn't mean for it to seem redundant. You would be surprised with how many people actually don't know what I said.

sirstopher
09-20-2012, 09:56 PM
I'm sure everyone will be glad to help you out now....

Suri [TBR]
09-20-2012, 11:33 PM
I'm sure everyone will be glad to help you out now....

Haha don't you just love our new members? All of them are such sweethearts :rofl:

Vecoplan
09-21-2012, 05:12 AM
;7087316']Haha don't you just love our new members? All of them are such sweethearts :rofl:

Lol. Eh, he has a point. My comment reads a little grumpy. I was at the Panthers game last night when I wrote it and the combination of the surprising number of yankee a-holes (that were Panthers PSL owners and decided to wear their Giants jerseys and cheer AGAINST the team they owned season tix for FROM THE CLUB SECTION!), the fact that Carolina's defense was garbage, and perhaps the $80 in drinks (less than it sounds) I had consumed by the time I responded to his message MIGHT have made my response a little less polite than my usual tenor. Lol. Didn't mean to be a grumpy old man.

First_745Li
09-21-2012, 06:43 AM
;7087316']Haha don't you just love our new members? All of them are such sweethearts :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: