PDA

View Full Version : Removing the DVD Changer from the trunk

my750lirules
09-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Hey Guys,

My DVD Changer in the trunk has a DVD stuck in there, the cartridge does not exit. I took it to the dealer and the dealer wants to replace it for $1400. So I am think of removing it and taking it to electronic repair shop that might fix it.

So I want to have the right tools to remove it and not screw something up. Do you know of any guide or tool I need to remove it.

Thanks for your help guys

SuperSnoop
09-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Your first sentence is exactly what I would have said four days ago!

To get the DVD changer you need:
1. Flat head screw driver
2. Phillips head screw driver (one very short or some sort of right-angle tool. I used a Phillips bit with a 1/4" ratchet)
3. Pliers
4. 10mm nut driver

To remove the changer:
Disconnect the battery by flipping the battery switch to off, then removing the jack and using the 10mm driver to loosen the negative pole connector.
Start by removing the plastic piece at the bottom of the trunk (four plastic retainers - use the flat-head screwdriver)
Remove the back wall of the trunk - four flat-head screws
Remove the side panel in front of the DVD changer - two Phillips head screws under the tie-down, three plastic retainers along the bottom and (maybe) one at the top.
Remove the Logic7 amp by pulling out the two black brackets along the bottom side. They slide out and release the amp. (I could not get to the screws without removing the amp)
Unscrew the DVD changer from both sides.
Pull the one plastic retainer from the plastic piece above the DVD changer. Then bend it out of the way. This gives you better access to the plug on the back.

To open the DVD changer:
Pry the front cover off, starting on the bottom. Release the catches on the sides. This should just pull away, but will take some force.
Unscrew the six screws on the top and one on each side. Be careful, the back will fall away, but it's attached by a ribbon cable. Be gentle and make sure you keep a grip on it.
From the top, you'll see a gear. Try to turn it. This returned the disk into the magazine.
Insert a credit card under the magazine. There's a white bump; lift the magazine so you can get between it and the bump. This will release the magazine and slide out the front.

Personally, I had trouble with disks 5 and 6, even after I re-installed everything. I pulled those carriers out of the magazine. Actually, I only left 1 and 2 in the magazine, and it's working for me. I'm hesitant to add the additional carriers because they were getting stuck. I purchased a used unit on eBay, so I might try replacing the whole thing, but I can live with two discs for now.

my750lirules
09-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Wow thanks for the tutorial, i forgot to mention i have e65 is this still valid?

SuperSnoop
09-21-2012, 06:01 AM
Sorry, I've got an E66 760Li with the rear fridge, so removing your truck paneling might be a little different.

runoo00
10-17-2012, 09:06 AM
what problem do i have with my DVD player if it only shows grey on the rear screen. i have exchanged the logic 7 and installed a new amp systyem worked pefect before that .

my750lirules
10-17-2012, 09:21 AM
my problem was that my disk would not exist but I was able to remove the dvd drive and just with a screwdriver force remove the disk it worked perfectly after that

whytry
12-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Just wanna have this thread handy incase I end up doing this myself