PDA

View Full Version : AUX FM MOD cars with no cd-changer or facelifts

jkidem
09-22-2012, 10:11 PM
OK im looking through several post about FM Mod

these two got me confused which one is for me (2003 745 no cd changer/prod date nov 2002)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245819

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587778&highlight=fm+mod

reason im here asking is I found a circuit board engineer that says he can do these mods for 30 bucks so i want to make sure i hand him the correct info so i believe one of the post is about the FM tuner in the pillar behind driver and the other is under dash if i read them correct can someone point me in the right way :)

DriftGirl
09-23-2012, 09:16 AM
A circuit board engineer wont need the "help". The hardest part about this "Mod", is taking the module out of the car.

It took my soldering iron 5 mins to reach temp....mod took about 5mins to complete.

Honestly, just do it yourself.

jkidem
09-23-2012, 09:26 AM
i dont have steady hands "the shakes" but i got the module out took 10 mins i think im good to go about to drop it off to him he is going to run 1 foot jumper wires out of it...i was confused by the pic's they were different but once i pulled it out and pulled cover off i seen the areas

Once i get it back from him im not sure what the 5 wires hook too i understand the right/left ground but the two radio inputs got me confused :P i think a switch goes but not sure how to hook up a switch i know sounds simple and maybe im over thinking it but any input would help :)

DriftGirl
09-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Understandable...But I promise I wouldnt suggest it if it were difficult. :)

It's not 5 wires....You only use "C" "D" and "E" ..."E" is a ground, so U can use any spot in the car to ground it.

Have him extend the wire a lot more than a foot. You want to be able to button everything back up and have enough wire to route it thru the cabin.

MDuke77
09-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Understandable...But I promise I wouldnt suggest it if it were difficult. :)

It's not 5 wires....You only use "C" "D" and "E" ..."E" is a ground, so U can use any spot in the car to ground it.

Have him extend the wire a lot more than a foot. You want to be able to button everything back up and have enough wire to route it thru the cabin.

Can i just buy a 16' aux cable from Radio Shack and cut the end that i plan to solder to the board or is there a proper cable? I am doing this mod today after I watch copius amounts of Football. I have read so many posts on the topic that I am second guessing each post. Lol.

DriftGirl
09-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Can i just buy a 16' aux cable from Radio Shack and cut the end that i plan to solder to the board or is there a proper cable? I am doing this mod today after I watch copius amounts of Football. I have read so many posts on the topic that I am second guessing each post. Lol.

Yup! you've got the right idea :thumbup:

MDuke77
09-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Yup! you've got the right idea :thumbup:

Thanks!!

jkidem
09-23-2012, 11:46 AM
OK so i just need to ground the ground wire E to chassis and buy aux 16 foot cable and hook to C and D? if thats it simple simple and thanks for your help driftgirl :)

EDIT OK i seen your post :) got it now

MDuke77
09-23-2012, 01:16 PM
OK so i just need to ground the ground wire E to chassis and buy aux 16 foot cable and hook to C and D? if thats it simple simple and thanks for your help driftgirl :)

EDIT OK i seen your post :) got it now

I think its that easy. jkidem I did not mean to thread jack, it looks like we are attemptimg this at the same time.

jkidem
09-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Just to update this since i started it, I got the mod done, he actually removed the resistors aswell , well i didn't tell the guy to but i handed him the mod instructions that had the remove resistors on it and i didnt realize it and got a 15 foot stereo aux cable it worked as it should its really clear very happy! FINALLY haha :)