PDA

View Full Version : BMW e65 750i PDC Issue

RichardParry
09-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Hi All,

I have seen this covered many times, but I have a PDC alert on my 2005 E65 750i UK spec.

When starting the car it immediately alerts the PDC has failed, and no visual/audio alerts will be available. Sometimes (like once a year) all of a sudden the PDC works, but its been faulty now for about 3 years.

I was advised by BMW about a year ago the sensor was the front near-side, so I reluctantly bought a new sensor last week. I replaced it, but unfortunately I still have a PDC failure, and of course this means no PDC alerts visual or audio.

Do you know how to find out which one in fact is faulty, or which other ones may be? It's been a year since I was told which one was dudd, so its certainly possible another has somehow damaged since then - front or rear.

If someone could help advise a way to troubleshoot that'd be great.

I have tried putting the car in reverse ans listening for the "ticking" but that's a no go, as only way to do this is to start the engine, and no way I could hear something that quiet with the engine running.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

Richard

stuartjohn24
09-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Hi Richard,

As you have described, if one of the 8 sensors are faulty the PDC system is shut down. This means you cannot audibly check the sensors.

The easiest way to tell what sensor is giving the error is to read the error memory of the PDC module using INPA, a 5-10 vagcom lead can be modified to work with the E65, personally a home diagnostic solution is a must for anyone with an E65!

Anyway failing that, remove the car jack and pull up the black cover, underneath is the PDC module, remove the smaller black connector.

Now insert the key and press the START button with your foot OFF the brake.

Now plug in the PDC power connector in and check the sensors, you have about ten seconds, you may need the help of a friend!

The PDC module should go into a self test, it will fire all sensors for approx ten seconds.

(I cannot remember off hand but you may need to remove the CAN wires from the same small black connector, it's positions 2 and 8 the wires should be green and green with orange marker, you need a very small screwdriver to gently depress the tab of the contact crimp while you pull the wire, this is through the small opening of the connector insert after the outer shroud with the locking lever is removed)

Don't buy the sensors from the dealer! Check eBay for UK sellers selling SWS sensors they are what BMW use and they are 20 brand new.

Let me know if you need any further advice,

Oh one last tip, if you leave the black connector disconnected it will stop the annoying PDC Failure! Message every time you start the car!

Stuart

RichardParry
09-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks so much Stuart. I will try eBay for the INPA kit - would definitely help me diagnose this and future issues!

I did look at the sensors on eBay, but last time I looked they were all second hand with no warranty, and selling for around 50 each. I went to BMW and they charged 130 for the one sensor - ouch! Was a little dismayed to find it didn't work when I replaced the one that BMW originally advised was faulty.

stuartjohn24
09-23-2012, 11:59 AM
No worries, yeah INPA is cheap and a must in my opinion, the problems I've had with my car over the last year have proven it to be priceless!

I will PM you eBay links to new sensors when I have a spare few mins, I got a set of brand new front sensors for 70 delivered and they work great, I also have two rears from a Jaguar X Type! They are used on many cars.

Is I possible the dealer got confused with the error? They woul have read the error memory which will say LH outer sensor, could it be the RH sensor? Depends if LH is from looking at the front or the rear? Depends how it's been interpreted!

Stuart