PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Fsutrunole
09-26-2012, 05:30 AM
Hi! New to bimmerfest but have been coming to this site for answers and information for some time. I have a 2003 BMW 745li 4.4l,v8 . I have some type of oil leak can smell burning after driven for so time and it also has some white smoke coming from tail pipe with some from underneath car. Have had lower oil pan replaced,oil level sensor replaced,changed motor oil lube chassis,power steering hose replaced includes: bleed system dynamic drive,pressure line,valve cover gasket left side replaced. What else could be making car leak. Also note that was told timing cover is slightly leaking. What is average price for timing cover replacement?

pass427
09-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Welcome to the board - I am not sure on the cost but I few other members here may chime in soon. Post a pic of your car also

02QTR28
09-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Possible the gasket behind the alternator bracket! I get the same smell & have to replace too!!!

csmeance
09-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Hi! New to bimmerfest but have been coming to this site for answers and information for some time. I have a 2003 BMW 745li 4.4l,v8 . I have some type of oil leak can smell burning after driven for so time and it also has some white smoke coming from tail pipe with some from underneath car. Have had lower oil pan replaced,oil level sensor replaced,changed motor oil lube chassis,power steering hose replaced includes: bleed system dynamic drive,pressure line,valve cover gasket left side replaced. What else could be making car leak. Also note that was told timing cover is slightly leaking. What is average price for timing cover replacement?

The oil leak sounds like it could be a tad dangerous since it is smoking! That means it could be leaking onto some exhaust component that is hot and is burning off! I'd get it checked out ASAP to ensure an engine fire doesn't start.

Common places for oil leaks on the V8's:
1. Valve Cover Gaskets
2. Alternator Bracket
3. Timing Cover

A mechanic is the best person to find an oil leak as they can put the car up and see where it's dripping and burning off.

As far as the white smoke from your tailpipe, I have some good and bad news for you. The problem is the bad part; it's caused by bad seals on the Valve stem pipes and essentially letting oil burn in the combustion process and spitting it out the tailpipe. Good news is that it isn't THAT bad of an issue. Over time it'll become worse and worse but you can save up some money in the mean time to get it fixed. It's fairly expensive to get fixed. I'm not sure of the exact price but it's a bit of money.

Also PS. GO GATORS!!!

Fsutrunole
09-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the info . @csmeance see u nov. 24 at the doak