PDA

View Full Version : Any Euro owners with parking heater in their car?

Hamilton1974
09-26-2012, 03:50 PM
I've got the OEM parking heater (standheizung) in my 740d '04 but didn't get the remote for it when I bought the car.

Now I've bought a remote on Ebay from Germany but I'm suspecting that it's not working. I haven't initialized it to my car yet but shouldn't the two small lights turn on when you press the buttons? (I changed to a new battery) :dunno:

stuartjohn24
04-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Hi,

I have just retrofitted this option. I have the remote too, as I understand you need to press and hold the MODE button for a second or so and the green led will light, then press ON or OFF, the red light will flash when the heater is on.

To initialise it insert key into CAS and remove within 5 secs then hold down the OFF button and press the ON button three times and release the OFF button, car should lock and unlock to confirm.

Mine does this but won't start the heater! The interior light will come on and go off and the CAN bus wakes up but it won't start. Pretty annoying, been checking and double checking the coding and all looks ok. I have set W_FERNSTART to active in the webasto itself which seems to mean remote start?

Any help would be appreciated if you sorted it!

Stuart

Hamilton1974
04-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Well I got my remote initialised ok after finding the correct instructions for it. But just like before my heater won't start on its own.
I've had the car at the best indy in the country but they say that they can't connect to the webasto controller with their diagnostic tools.
The heater starts when I start the car from cold in cold weather and it will run the diagnostic test from BMWs own DIS but it just won't start by itself like it should.
My indy says the only option is to swap out the entire webasto.

I haven't connected at all yet with any tools on my own but when it gets a bit warmer outside I plan on doing so. (Will be updating to a FL MMI as well.)

Nygel
04-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Look at the power supply, it sounds like it was a retrofit but they tap into the wrong power, it should have two power inputs, one to constant 12 volts and the second to ignition control, seems like from you description its on ignition control

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App

stuartjohn24
04-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Sounds like the webasto is ok if it fires up in from cold start etc...

In your 'stationary' menu under the climate menu, do you have 'Aux heating' option like shown in mine below?

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/stuartjohn24/745F5B9F-7509-44BF-9159-DBBEE621D031-2005-00000182237D416E_zps98e742a5.jpg

Can you select this when parked with the engine off? It will manually start the webasto providing the fuel level is not in reserve and the battery is not low. My battery is weak, and I couldn't switch it on from the menu on two occasions after I'd been sat in the car for ten mins with the ignition on.

You can diagnose with INPA and it will show you any errors it's stored etc...

Sounds like the IHKA is coded incorrectly and standheizung is not activated only zuheizen. Or the webasto is not coded to be a park heater.

If your climate menu does not have aux heating then you have just the additional heater that is not able to be remote controlled or run with the engine off. I believe all diesel E65/66 have this heater.

Still no luck with mine, press the button the interior light come on an go off but nothing happens! However the timer works perfectly in the idrive! I've had the car nice and warm the last two mornings and haven't had to scrape the ice off the windows! The neighbours are jealous!

stuartjohn24
04-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Look at the power supply, it sounds like it was a retrofit but they tap into the wrong power, it should have two power inputs, one to constant 12 volts and the second to ignition control, seems like from you description its on ignition control

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App

True worth a check for the main power, should be fuse 1 in the passenger compartment rated at 20A.

There is no ignition feed like standard webasto units, the heater is controlled fully via the K-CAN, the IHKA controls the heaters functions, it also checks fuel level and outside temperature by communicating with the KOMBI and ignition status via the CAS.

Nygel
04-03-2013, 01:14 PM
thanks for clarifying "stuartjohn24"

Hamilton1974
04-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Mine was installed from stock, not retrofitted, and I have the Aux heating menu just like yours but nothing happens when I set the timers or if I try to direct start it from the iDrive. I've tried the reset procedure by unplugging the fuse to no effect.
Only thing that happens when I try to direct start it from the Aux heating menu is that I can hear fans turn on for half a second and then off again.

I've got the same kind of 4-in-1 interface that AceFX used to connect to his car as well as INPA, NCS expert, Dashsoft, DIS and some others. Just haven't installed them on my laptop yet and I also don't have a warm garage to work in so I'll probably wait until this summer to start with that kind of work.

stuartjohn24
04-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Ahh right I understand, sounds like the webasto has locked out, if it fails to start three consecutive times it will lock out and needs to be unlocked.

As far as I'm aware this can only be done in DIS, INPA can clear errors and activate it manually etc so I thought clearing errors in INPA would unlock it but I'm not 100% sure.

Could be an issue with the glow plug which is most common, Read the error memory with INPA when you get chance to diagnose.

Stuart

Hamilton1974
04-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Hmm, well according to the webasto service manual (found a pdf copy of it online), doing the fuse reset should unlock it to work normally again.

But I'll let you know my findings as soon as I connect to the car!

stuartjohn24
04-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Just found this in the BMW information for the heater on BMW Planet:

Heater lock
The auxiliary heating system is permanently locked if three malfunctions or three faults relevant to operation have occurred in sequence - i.e. without correct operation in between. For example, lack of fuel on a number of occasions could lead to failure to generate a flame. Here, the heater lock is activated, which leads to an entry in the fault code memory of the auxiliary heating system. This fault is not identical to the overheating lock fault.

Fault
The fault lockout occurs when a fault is detected during operation and the auxiliary heating unit switches off.

Restart

Fault
It only needs to be switched OFF once to cancel the fault lockout. It can then be restarted.

Heater lock
The heater lock is unlocked using the service function ***8221;Unlock auxiliary heating system***8221; AND then by pulling the fuse of the auxiliary heating system (disconnect power).

Hamilton1974
04-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Aha! So it wasn't just enough to pull the fuse. And I guess the service function "Unlock auxiliary heating system" is found in DIS?

stuartjohn24
04-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Yeah thats right, DIS is a real pain to set up too! Try erasing all errors in INPA then pulling the fuse? It may unlock it that way that will save you a massive headache!