PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Noise at 70mph?

minionman24
10-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Although I've test drove an X1, I'm a numbers and facts kind of guy :D and was curious about what the db reading inside the cabin of a xdrive 28. Any U.S. owners willing to download a free app and check it for me? Can't seem to find it any place online.

For some background, I ordered a Subaru BRZ in April and it still haven't received it. Don't get me started...

bimmerized
10-16-2012, 02:27 PM
I can tell you the wind noise from the roof is noticealbe and greater than a 3 series sedan for sure. There is almost equal noise from below (tires) as above depending on the height of your head.

What's the app? I may be able to take some measurements...

speedracerf4i
10-16-2012, 03:15 PM
I just got back from my ED. The first thing I noticed is the wind/road noise. I was comparing to my E60 545i so maybe it's not really fair.

minionman24
10-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Well as an update, I ordered the X1 two Saturdays ago and canceled the Subaru BRZ.

I wasn't sure about the road noise because that has been noted by some posts and reviews but overall I decided it was likely not an issue. My previous car was a 1999 VW Passat which was sold and I'm currently driving a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. The Passat was quite quiet at highway speed... the Vibe sounds like the window is cracked open. The app I used... some generic sound meter app I found registered over 90db at 70 mph. Yeah.

I don't doubt the X1 is going to be a vast, vast improvement on that. Just a few more weeks til she arrives!

edx1
10-16-2012, 08:08 PM
... and I'm currently driving a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. ... I don't doubt the X1 is going to be a vast, vast improvement on that. Just a few more weeks til she arrives!

I've had the Vibe's twin (Toyota Matrix) since '02 and the X1 is a vast, vast improvement in my experience.

speedracerf4i
10-17-2012, 07:52 AM
The noise really is a subjective measurement, as I have noted. My wife is used to drive the library-quiet V8 545i, so she noticed the increased noise right away. I however, drive the 318 4-banger on my short daily-commute, felt that it was acceptable.

Supagoat
04-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Old thread, but I figured I'd revive it. Edmunds ( I believe) measured 70mph cabin noise at 64db. Compared to my wrx at 71db it's a significant improvement. Though it may be loud by BMW standards, I think it's still pretty good.

eric9610
04-30-2013, 04:00 PM
comparing the x1 to any bmw sedan is not an apples to apples comparison as the X1 has a much larger panoramic sunroof. a good comparison is another x model. I have noticed it is a bit noisier than my e90 but i just punch the gas in my 35i and listen to the growl of the engine. :thumbup:

bimmerized
04-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Old thread, but I figured I'd revive it. Edmunds ( I believe) measured 70mph cabin noise at 64db. Compared to my wrx at 71db it's a significant improvement. Though it may be loud by BMW standards, I think it's still pretty good.

thanks for that data point, however, it's difficult to differentiate wind noise from overall noise contributed by the engine and tires as well, which is what is reported in that test.