PDA

View Full Version : X5 3.0 Oil change

mswaz
07-01-2004, 01:56 PM
It has been awhile since I changed the oil in my X5 but what is the secret for getting th plastic door cover off the skid plate so the oil can drain smoothly. This is a 2001 3.0 X5.

Just for a reminder its the second plastic door cover from the front right, or the farthest one from the front.

SodaJerk
07-07-2004, 09:06 AM
Check out this link:

http://www.x5world.net/oil%20change%20diy.htm

Although I have not done an oil change on the X5 myself (I have done plenty of oil changes on other cars), I have read threads where an oil extraction device is suggested.

Emission
07-07-2004, 12:33 PM
I just read the X5 3.0 holds 8 quarts of oil. Really?

mojosaan
07-08-2004, 10:20 AM
My first brush with servicing a BMW was on my wife's X5 3.0i. I was floored when I asked the dealer for the oil I needed for the oil change. 8 quarts, no less and no more. Mind you I thought 5 was a lot with other cars. Then I thought, hm, no wonder these things can go 15,000 miles without an oil change . . . but I don't wait that long. I have a Z4 2.5i and that takes 7.5 quarts. As for the oil getting on the foam of the skid plate, I just stick a contoured card board so I can direct the oil. I believe Fram sells a gadget that replaces the drain plug with one that you can screw on a tube to direct the oil flow. Looks like a neat gadget but I've never tried it.