PDA

View Full Version : X1 28i 8speed auto accelarate hesitation

10-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Anyone experience a slight delay in accelaration when step on the gas after a rolling stop? Is it normal for the 28i with 8 speed auto? It is my first car with turbo engine and wondering if there is anything to do with it. Or is it related to the transmisson? I just feel the car has no power for a second than give you a jerk and pick up speed. The delay is less obvious if i do a complete stop before stepping on the gas. Any thoughts? Thanks.

dong4ce
10-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Might have something to do with the auto start/stop option?

10-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Forget to mention mine is 2012 model and doesn't come with ASS.

kjboyd
10-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Still an issue huh....

lovemygsp
10-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Do you have the ecopro mode and is it on?

Also thought of something else: Are you pushing the gas petal to the floor? If so this places it into kickdown mode and it could be taking a second to kick in. You would feel a little click type sensation in the petal where there is a "button" that activates it. ...Maybe its a bit of a stretch but it was an idea.

Otherwise I don't know. We haven't been pushing our 2013 at all yet as we are still in the break-in period but I only notice it having a slight hesitation when the ecopro mode is on.

10-11-2012, 05:07 AM
Thanks but no ecopro as well. Rarely need to floor the gas pedal. I suspect it is related to the transmission...:confused:

CanadianDriver
10-11-2012, 09:15 AM
maybe try using your X1 on DS or even manual shifting for a day, just to remap the transmission memory

you may even end up liking manually shifting +/-, esp if you have flappy paddles =)

faustas
10-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Anyone experience a slight delay in accelaration when step on the gas after a rolling stop? Is it normal for the 28i with 8 speed auto? It is my first car with turbo engine and wondering if there is anything to do with it. Or is it related to the transmisson? I just feel the car has no power for a second than give you a jerk and pick up speed. The delay is less obvious if i do a complete stop before stepping on the gas. Any thoughts? Thanks.

My experience with the 28i (2013, first US model) is that when I step on the gas pedal from a complete stop, there's a moment when the acceleration seemed very soft. It didn't seem to me to be a delay, but just really soft acceleration, for a short duration or until I press down the gas pedal more. (Not sure what mode I was driving on at the time :O)

10-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks CanadianDriver. I will try the manual shift for a couple of days to see if it will make any different. I've tried the DS while approaching the rolling stop. It made the car jerked even more. Too bad...don't have the happy padel shifters in my X1. I used to have them in my last Rogue but they were seldem used so opt not to have them. I guess it's better to have and not used them than need them and don't have. Only if I know then...

Sent from my LG-P925g using Bimmer App

HotRodW
10-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Our Q5 2.0T with the same transmission also suffers from a throttle delay, although I find it to be a little more obtrusive in the Audi. I would describe the hesitation as "throttle lag" rather than "turbo lag", and while some of the lag may be transmission-related, the throttle-by-wire it likely a contributing factor as well.

10-12-2012, 05:34 PM
spoke to the service manager at bmw today, he agreed with CanadianDriver's suggestion. But also said I could take the vehicle back for them to have a check.

douggie
10-18-2012, 08:01 AM
The new X3 suffers from this as well. This one is documented with accelerometers and GPS:

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/oneyear/suvs/1203_2011_bmw_x3_xdrive28i_update_8/#ixzz1scygJTyj

edx1
10-18-2012, 09:53 AM
I checked google and it appears many models using the 8spd trans has the same problem, and it's been known for about 2 years. Not sure if it's on purpose (ecu detecting a quirk and reacting) because you'd think BMW would address it by now.

Not sure if this would work on an X1 but it sounds like an ECU reset might help.

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/help-whats-happening-my-bmw/48266-problem-solved-if-your-f10-has-hesitation-jerks-0-10-mph.html

For lots of other threads just google 'bmw 8 speed transmission hesitation'

10-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Good information. Thanks. Not sure the reset will work on the e84 X1, but is there any risk of trying? Manual shifting does force it to start at the first gear and reduce the delay to a minimum.

kosmo
10-21-2012, 09:05 AM
You are describing the single biggest disappointment I experienced during test drives of the X1 (turbo 4, 8-spd) and X3 (NA 6, 8-spd). Since both engines exhibited it to the same degree, I concluded it was the new 8-spd transmission.

Bring on the 6-spd manual!

HotRod also makes a good point that some of this is due to throttle by wire, and specifically the emissions-related tuning incorporated into that system.

RV8Pilot
10-23-2012, 07:25 PM
I have an '11 X5 Diesel with the six speed trans and have the same hesitation problem. When I complained to the service department the SA told me to move the shifter into sport mode and I've tried that without success. I think it's BMW's transmission programing that's the problem.

HotRodW
10-23-2012, 09:28 PM
I have an '11 X5 Diesel with the six speed trans and have the same hesitation problem. When I complained to the service department the SA told me to move the shifter into sport mode and I've tried that without success. I think it's BMW's transmission programing that's the problem.

The 8-speed ZF transmission in the Q5 behaves the same way.