PDA

View Full Version : Back fron ED 500 miles review

speedracerf4i
10-16-2012, 05:13 PM
I have just spent 500 miles driving our X1 in Germany and are now anxiously awaiting its redelivery.

Here is what I noticed during my drive:

Pros:
1. The car is very nimble and handles really well.
2. Brakes are excellent.
3. The Terra interior is darker and looks richer than the picture. Also, dark bronze trims looks really good too.
4. Economical, 28.7 mpg mostly highway and it will get better after break-in period.
5. The i-drive is very visible. From picture, I was afraid of the panel being tilted wrongly or something. Also, it is lightyears better than my E60's generation 1 i-drive.
6. The ride is compliant and not too firm.
7. Accerelation is great when pushing it, but tepid if going normally as the transmission will upship often and early. The down shifting is really fast though.
8. Steering....I find the effort of EPS appropriate. On-centerness is OK and driving on the Autobahn feels the same as hydraulic steering. However, it will feel a bit "wooden" because the steering rarely twitches back to reflect road surfaces.
9. Regular sound system is good enough if you don't compare it with other high-end system side-by-side. I am not an audiophile FYI.
10. Parking is a breeze with the parking aids and rear-view camera.

Cons:
1. The X-line seats are the worst BMW seat I have ever sat on. My 1998 318ti's sports seat feels better. The seat lacks side support, and the leather is loosely fit. Especially the back seat, the leather is gathered unevenly and feels low grade. My butt are sore after 1 hour of driving.
2. The new transmissiong lever is very cool looking, but awkward to engage to "P".
3. Wind and road noise may be a tad loud (subjective).
4. All season tires lacks grip. But you do get more life out of them as compensation.
5. ASS (automatic start/stop) is not very refined eventhough it restarts the car really quickly, it's the jerking that bothers me. I will have it recoded so it doesn't always come on.

Conclusion: Although the car has some shortcomings, we love this car very much and know that there are competing cars that do some part better than the X1. However, from the whole car's perspective, including the buying experience, this car is hard to beat. I mean, those pretzels at VIP lounge are expensive (for Bmw), but you get them for free the whole day.

conceyted
10-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks for your x1 ED review. I am excited about my upcoming ED. I'm shocked to hear you mention expense when talking about the premium lounge at Welt. Do they really charge you for food? Could have sworn it would be complimentary.

afshawnt
10-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks for your x1 ED review. I am excited about my upcoming ED. I'm shocked to hear you mention expense when talking about the premium lounge at Welt. Do they really charge you for food? Could have sworn it would be complimentary.

There is no expense. They are complimentary.

speedracerf4i
10-16-2012, 11:53 PM
All food, drinks are free. For whole day, you can go there multiple times. This VIP treatment adds on to the buying experience I mentioned.

pony_trekker
10-17-2012, 04:48 AM
I thought the X1 was hydraulic not electronic steering?

afshawnt
10-17-2012, 06:33 AM
I thought the X1 was hydraulic not electronic steering?

Xdrive models have hydraulic. Sdrive is electronic.

the_fox
10-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks for your review speedracerf4i! How common are the X1's in Germany? Did you drive on the autobahn? How did you like it? Did you have to rent a European map DVD or is it pre-loaded in the nav?

PlzDuntBanMe
10-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Nice and thorough review! Glad you enjoyed it!

WillInDenver
10-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Long hoodlines are sexy, and BMW apparently spaced that out when they designed the X3. The X1 is a better looking car.

speedracerf4i
10-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Thanks for your review speedracerf4i! How common are the X1's in Germany? Did you drive on the autobahn? How did you like it? Did you have to rent a European map DVD or is it pre-loaded in the nav?

X1 has been around in Germany for awhile, so it is very common. But i wouldn't say that it is popular. 3 series wagon is far more popular in Germany.

I've taken my X1 up to 110 mph on the Autobahn, and the car was very stable. The 8th gear is really tall, spinning at 2100 rpm at 80 mph.

The euro map is pre loaded upon pick up, so no more Dvd was needed. BMW will replace with US map upon redelivery.

Final thought, the new generation iDrive cic is much better than the generation 1 ccc. So i strongly recommend spending the extra $ for the nav.

fb88
10-20-2012, 09:50 AM
1. How much did you pay over ED invoice?
2. Is this rear drive or x drive?
3. Were you able to use the 2 for 1 flight for ED?
4. How long did you stay in ED?

speedracerf4i
10-20-2012, 11:18 AM
1. See my PM
2. Sdrive28i rear drive. I live in So. california.
3. There is no more 2 for 1 offer from Lufthansa. Use orbitz or other sites.
4. I spent 5 days in Germany, but you can stay up to 2 weeks.

afshawnt
10-20-2012, 12:49 PM
FYI the Lufthansa 2 for 1 was very minimal savings if any since you were paying the full fare on one ticket. 2 discount fares were almost always less. Also, you can stay longer than 2 weeks but you have to pay for additional insurance.