PDA

View Full Version : ED here, there and everywhere

Eric Genname
10-18-2012, 05:18 PM
For ED, would someone please explain to me the relationship between where I live, where the dealer I negotiate with is located and where in the US the car is ultimately delivered?

Also, does the destination charge apply to ED?

Thanks.

AzNMpower32
10-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Any dealer in the US can arrange European Delivery. It's just some dealers are more experienced and knowledgeable about the process than others. Heck, I think you can do that kind of stuff over internet sales.

The destination fee still applies, although I think the Training/MACO fee should be waived although some dealers may still charge it. After you drop the vehicle off in Europe, it will be delivered to your dealership of purchase. Alternatively, it can be delivered to the Performance Centre in Spartanburg SC (PCD) for no extra charge so those of us close enough can double-dip on European Delivery and PCD.

Eric Genname
10-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks. I should also have asked whether the regional adjustment applies to ED. On the West Coast, where I live, it's a lot of money.

the_fox
10-18-2012, 08:46 PM
How much is it?

Eric Genname
10-18-2012, 09:02 PM
$591.

the_fox
10-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Wow. Never heard of it before, and I didn't pay it, even though I bought from West coast too. Depends on your dealer, I guess, but it sounds bogus to me.

speedracerf4i
10-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Hey Eric,

I just got back from my ED 3 days ago and I live in Los Angeles. Here is a summary of what happend in my case:

1. Called a few dealers asking for $x amount over ED invoice. Bought from Jon Shafer of BMW of Santa Barbara who is the founder of this site and super knowledgeable about ED.

2. Negotiated $X.00 over ED invoice that can be found in this site and will be provided to you from Jon. Destination charges will apply and nothing else. No MACO and other WTF garbage charges. Obviously tax, license and doc fees will apply. The dealer will ask you for a $1000 deposit. You can pay them by credit card.

3. Pick a date to pick up your car in Munich. I found that the car can be picked up as early as 6 weeks in some cases. Since there is no more 2 for 1 airfare deal with Lufthansa, I would pick a low-season date to fly out to Munich. Avoid snow season if possible.

4. I applied for Penfed (www.penfed.org) credit union and got their excelent auto loan for 1.5% APR (60 mo.) and received a draft.

5. 2 weeks before your European pick up date, you will get the contract package from your purchasing dealer. Sign and send them the draft and your payment. You should already have the VIN number that must be on the draft. The tax, licence, doc fees can be left out and paid when you take the redelivery.

6. Go to Munich and have tons of fun.

7. You will pay your first payment 30 days from the date your dealer cash your draft. If you finance through BMW financial, then your first payment would be a month after your pick up date, but their rate is 3.69% APR - $750 loyalty (see qualifications and terms online).

8. You will pay for your second payment before your car gets here.

9. 8-10 weeks later, you can pick up the car from your purchasing dealer, or have the car trucked to you for a charge. This is after you settle all loose payments such as tax, license, doc fees with your dealer.

Eric Genname
10-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks, that's a very helpful rundown, and nicely organized.

I just discovered that "Regional Adjustment" is nothing more than an edmunds.com term for typical price variation by zip code. The only thing I care about is what the dealer actually pays.

On a completely unrelated note, I finally saw an Xi in Valencia Orange and under natural light. I stared at it for a full ten minutes. It would take a certain amount of courage to get the vehicle in that color, but it's simply beautiful. (The images on the Internet are mostly off, and I have a color-corrected monitor.) I'm going for it!