PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make a backup camera

Leekay07
10-19-2012, 07:24 AM
For the X1? If I keep this car my wife insists it have a backup camera.

Beamerboi
10-19-2012, 07:45 AM
one word... GOOGLE !

Leekay07
10-19-2012, 08:00 AM
yes but being that the cars a relatively knew i wondered if someone had had one installed.

Beamerboi
10-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Well I think it all depend on what kind of GPS you have that will use a Back up camera. I did see a banner at the top of the forum that retro fitted GPS in x1's you will have to keep reloading your web browser till it shows then click it...

Beamerboi
10-19-2012, 08:08 AM
here I found it for you :
http://www.bimmer-tech.net

speedracerf4i
10-19-2012, 08:12 AM
Great find Beemerboi.

at 379 pounds, or $600, you may just have saved somebodys marriage:thumbup:

Leekay07
10-19-2012, 08:13 AM

Beamerboi
10-19-2012, 08:14 AM
Well I am in the marriage business LOL
www.curtissmithphotography.com !

edx1
10-19-2012, 09:31 AM
I was looking through that site and didn't see the backup camera for the X1.

I have seen a number of people with the cheap $100 backup cameras, but the camera on the dash looks bad to me.

I also was curious the other day and looked up aftermarket sonar detectors (as I think a backup screen isn't as ideal since I typically am looking out the back or side windows and not forward on a video display). The sonar detectors will give an audible warning if something is close that you can't see and installs the same way as a backup camera but without an ugly video screen.

I also was digging and found that a company called mobileye does the lane departure, rear end collision warning, auto-high beam, pedestrian and bike warnings, speed and stop sign warnings and so on for pretty much all car manufacturers. You can buy their mobileye g270 for about $750 that does everything except controls your car lights, brakes, steering wheel or seat vibrator/warning.

BMW and other companies appear to license the mobileye technology and then hook up their electronics to that device. I think I will probably buy this unit and do aftermarket sonar since my X1 won't have nav and the backup camera.

speedracerf4i
10-19-2012, 09:39 AM
I think if you're unsure of what you need, and how to install the camera by purchasing it online, you should go to a reputable auto sound shop and ask them if they can add the camera for you.

I changed my config order at the last minute to include the driver-parking-assist and the lighting package. My wife would of nagged me for not having them. Boy did I dodge the bullet:D

Leekay07
10-19-2012, 10:05 AM

I think i will install backup sensors
:) thing is small it doesn't need a camera and she has a Iphone 4-s with turn by turn nav so its pointless buying the Nav unless its my car :P

edx1
10-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Looks like not all backup sensors are equal:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388257

lovemygsp
10-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Not that this helps you currently, but in 2014 all new cars have to have a backup camera. It will be interesting to see how BMW handles it on the X1 ( aka if they make idrive standard or not). With that requirement maybe more aftermarket cameras will pop up soon. Oh and one more thing, even though the X1 isn't new it seems to have been a really slow process to get X1 parts here which is weird. So maybe in the coming months you can find more. If you are unsure though your best bet is going to be to take it to a specialty shop and see if they can either buy or make one especially if they specialize in BMWs.

edx1
10-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Is that 2014 model year or 2015 model year X1's?

Eric Genname
10-19-2012, 04:16 PM
I dunno what to make of this iDrive/Nav replacement, but it's available from a number of sites. This one also offers a backup camera as an option, and there's another site that offers both a camera and sensors. I assume they mount where the OEM components would.

http://www.seicane.com/car-gps-navigation-for-bmw-x1-e84-with-8-inch-digital-screen-two-way-can-bus-srd-8839