PDA

View Full Version : X1 aftermarket towing hitch

ddsheep
10-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Hi! Just got my X1 this month and loving it. Great gas mileage I am getting and style in small package.

I would like to add a tow hitch but can not find any OEM application. Are there any aftermarket option for the tow hitch and has anyone in the US install one? I would like to two my bike with it so nothing really heavy. Thanks in advance!

robbiecarman
10-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Me too ! The funny thing is everywhere else in the world the screw on bike rack is available. It uses the two screw in ports on the bumper I just wrote today to a dealer in Montreal to see if they could get me one. I'm going to northern Vermont first week in December and might jump the boarder to pick it up

My wife essentially has the same one on her countryman and its awesome. It even tilts so you can open the gate. I'll report back if I can get it

conceyted
10-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Go check out my post in the ED forum about buying this rack during ED. Someone replied to my post with contact info for a dealer in Poland that is willing to order and ship Euro parts to the US. Might be worth doing it that way. If any of you go this route please post up how it goes and how much it ends up costing.

pjkad
10-21-2012, 05:58 PM
The question becomes whether the tow screw locations are the same on the US model as European, which will be required for the unit to fit if ordered from Europe?

conceyted
10-21-2012, 06:06 PM
The question becomes whether the tow screw locations are the same on the US model as European, which will be required for the unit to fit if ordered from Europe?

For starters, I can't see them changing the location of the tow hooks for US spec cars. However, as further evidence that the rack will work, take a look at the pictures from the Paris auto show when they unveiled the 2013 US Spec BMW X1. The version of the M Sport they had on display had both the roof rack and the tow hook mounted bike rack.

PatT
10-23-2012, 11:00 AM
I was about to order a X1 (xdrive35i) but was informed via BMW USA on their Facebook that there will not be a hitch, their customer service email said "no info available". Anyone know for sure? I have a 2011 X3 (xdrive35i)and it took BMW probably a year to come out with the hitch.

RV8Pilot
10-23-2012, 06:53 PM
I have an Execuhitch on my X5 diesel. http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/?sef_rewrite=1 It's hidden under the rear bumper and you can get either their bike mount, ball hitch or a receiver which you can then install your receiver bike hitch. Nice bunch of guys and if you take advantage of your delivery at the factory in Spartensburg they are just a short ride south to Georgia and they'll install it for you while you wait. When I spoke with them today to see about a hitch for an X1 they said it would be available by this Friday.

conceyted
10-23-2012, 07:13 PM
I have an Execuhitch on my X5 diesel. http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/?sef_rewrite=1 It's hidden under the rear bumper and you can get either their bike mount, ball hitch or a receiver which you can then install your receiver bike hitch. Nice bunch of guys and if you take advantage of your delivery at the factory in Spartensburg they are just a short ride south to Georgia and they'll install it for you while you wait. When I spoke with them today to see about a hitch for an X1 they said it would be available by this Friday.

That is pretty impressive. Quite pricey, but if it is done right who cares. One thing that worries me, though, is that I see no Class rating on their hitches, so we have no real way of knowing what sort of towing capacity or tongue weight a hitch like this would give us.

RV8Pilot
10-23-2012, 07:49 PM
It's basically a class three hitch. Execuhitch says their hitch will tow to what ever the vehicles tow rating is. I've towed a 4500 lb Cat diesel generator behind the X5 without any problem other than I didn't have the trailer brakes hooked up and stopping was a little lengthy.

mabrahams
10-24-2012, 05:43 PM
I just installed my Curt 128i hitch on my X1: http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762142

As noted in the link above, you won't be able to installed the EU Bike Rack that BMW sells; because the US crush bumper only has one hole (the hole in which the bike mount screws into) and not two like the EU crush bumper.

kosmo
10-24-2012, 05:51 PM
So from reading Mab's link, it appears that we get only ONE threaded bumper insert so the EU rack is simply not an option over here.

Damn. That is such an elegant way to mount a rack.

mabrahams
10-24-2012, 05:56 PM
So from reading Mab's link, it appears that we get only ONE threaded bumper insert so the EU rack is simply not an option over here.

Damn. That is such an elegant way to mount a rack.

Correct. I edited my post above to state the same but I think we posted at the same time. :)

You could order the EU one since the two hook covers do match.. but unsure how much it is. You can confirm this by removing the little covers and you will see the right side has hole and the other does not.

conceyted
10-24-2012, 08:53 PM
The EU rack is $820 USD before shipping, anyway.

MiddleAgedMissi
01-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Curt Mfg. now has their X1 Hitch available. I just ordered off AutoAnything and price was very good. 15% discount for new customers today which brought price of hitch and a locking pin to $158.80

Link to install PDF. Seems fairly straightforward,
https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary/13140/installsheet/CM_13140_INS.PDF

rpocngold
01-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Could you let us know how the Curt Hitch worked out. Looks good especially that it is a Class 3 hitch. Did you also order the wiring harness?

MiddleAgedMissi
01-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Could you let us know how the Curt Hitch worked out. Looks good especially that it is a Class 3 hitch. Did you also order the wiring harness?

Received the hitch on the 14th but it's still in the box. Will be a few days before I have time to install. Have to buy a plastic rivet tool also. I have not purchased a wiring harness yet.
Will let you know how it goes and post a few pics when I install.

Just realized my user name is truncated....WTF. It's Missile on the end, not Missi. :(

rpocngold
01-31-2013, 04:30 PM
Any luck with the tow hitch

Foxrus14
02-01-2013, 07:13 AM
So what is the towing capacity of the X1 35i? My Fiance and I each have Harleys and we want to be able to trailer them to places if necessary.

invisihitch
02-01-2013, 10:31 AM
So what is the towing capacity of the X1 35i? My Fiance and I each have Harleys and we want to be able to trailer them to places if necessary.

In North America, BMW does not assign an official towing capacity to the X1, but based on the chassis it would be rated as 2,500 lbs towed weight / 250 lbs tongue weight if it were rated. A somewhat higher towed-weight load is fine, but you need to watch the tongue weight carefully.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

nospam
02-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Just realized my user name is truncated....WTF. It's Missile on the end, not Missi. :(

Oops...ROTFLOL :)

PatT
02-06-2013, 06:07 PM
My dealer just installed an execuhitch for me. I am very impressed, as were they, with the quality, design and ease of installation. I had an x3 with a BMW hitch and I have to say I like the execuhitch better. Both of the pictures are after the hitch was installed, one showing how invisible it is and the others showing it with the ball attachment. I also got the receiver attachment for a bike rack. The car is a X1 M sport line. The guys at execuhitch (invisihitch) were great to do business with.

Axel61
02-06-2013, 06:10 PM
I also have the invisihitch on my 335d ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App

invisihitch
02-07-2013, 01:27 PM
My dealer just installed an execuhitch for me. I am very impressed, as were they, with the quality, design and ease of installation.

PatT,

Thank you for your nice compliments on our product. I am biased of course, but I truly believe our invisihitch is the premium towing & rack solution for the X1. Glad to hear that your BMW dealer felt likewise.

A lot of people don't realize that we provide this same hitch directly to BMW in other markets, where it is sold by BMW as their Original Equipment hitch on the X1. In North America though, BMW elected to offer no hitch option on the X1. So officially we became an "aftermarket" hitch for the X1 here in the U.S., even though it's the exact same hitch as the one sold directly through BMW in other parts of the world.

This means that the invisihitch had to meet certain criteria that other aftermarket hitches for the X1 simply do not meet. Criteria such as not attaching to the A-frame of the vehicle because doing so bypasses the crumple zones in rear-end collisions. And having to pass a 2-million cycle dynamic-load test. It really is a serious OE-caliber hitch for the X1.

Plus, you don't have to look at it. :)

Here are some more photos (although I believe these photos are of an X3, the unspoiled appearance is the same on the X1).

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

rpocngold
02-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Daryl
Looks great but BMW has not released tongue weight and towing cap for the X1 Earlier post you stated 250/2500 Wish they would just give us the figures so we can make a decision

pbrink1
02-07-2013, 06:59 PM
PatT,

Thank you for your nice compliments on our product. I am biased of course, but I truly believe our invisihitch is the premium towing & rack solution for the X1. Glad to hear that your BMW dealer felt likewise.

A lot of people don't realize that we provide this same hitch directly to BMW in other markets, where it is sold by BMW as their Original Equipment hitch on the X1. In North America though, BMW elected to offer no hitch option on the X1. So officially we became an "aftermarket" hitch for the X1 here in the U.S., even though it's the exact same hitch as the one sold directly through BMW in other parts of the world.

This means that the invisihitch had to meet certain criteria that other aftermarket hitches for the X1 simply do not meet. Criteria such as not attaching to the A-frame of the vehicle because doing so bypasses the crumple zones in rear-end collisions. And having to pass a 2-million cycle dynamic-load test. It really is a serious OE-caliber hitch for the X1.

Plus, you don't have to look at it. :)

Here are some more photos (although I believe these photos are of an X3, the unspoiled appearance is the same on the X1).

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

What does it cost and how much to install?

Axel61
02-08-2013, 04:18 AM
Amigos I have the ONLY invisihitch in Puerto Rico for a 335d and the product is SUPERB. As we installed in Puerto Rico my mechanic was appaled by the construction of it and turned to me to state "what are you going to tow with this, a truck? The ONLY downsides I got were the install instruction they were NOT at par since it was a 328 intructions and not 335d instructions. Sorry Darryl had to put outhere on this Im still upset on this!! Anyway the other thing was the OEM metal bumper had to be removed completely so that the Invisihitch could go in place my friend told whomever rear ends is going to be FA:LKED this thing is WAYY better than the OEM. The price I found a tad expensive but the quality and crraftsmanship picks up where the price left out. Great thing is I leave the Hitch on so that ahole dont hit my Bumper :) Besides these minor issues I am very happy with the product. Any questions you can reach me thru PM, Darryl knows that I dont BS NOONE and I come across anyone straightforward.Hope you enjoy cause dan it I wanted an X1 in DIESEL and BMW FALKED up on me :(

invisihitch
02-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Daryl
Looks great but BMW has not released tongue weight and towing cap for the X1 Earlier post you stated 250/2500 Wish they would just give us the figures so we can make a decision

Well, yes and no... First you have to understand that whenever BMW issues a tow rating for one of their vehicles, they do so based on using a specific BMW Original Equipment hitch on the vehicle. They never simply "tow rate" the vehicle itself, independent of the hitch used.

So, you are correct that BMWNA has not released a tow rating for the X1. But this is only because BMWNA made the decision to market the X1 in North America without an OE hitch option. So unless they change their mind about that, BMWNA will probably never release an official tow rating for this vehicle. (Because, again, they don't tow rate the vehicle independent of the hitch used).

However, if you want to know what BMW says about how much you can safely tow with the X1, you can find that info internationally because in most other parts of the world, BMW does offer an Original Equipment hitch for the X1. And in some of those areas, the BMW OE hitch is my company's invisihitch. In those areas, BMW specifies the maximum trailer weight for the X1 as a whopping 3,740 lbs to 4,400 lbs depending on the engine and whether equipped with xDrive. [ See pp 70-71 of the X1 international brochure downloadable at www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/x/x1/2012/_shared/pdf/x1_catalogue.pdf?download=true ].
(http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/x/x1/2012/_shared/pdf/x1_catalogue.pdf?download=true)
Those are some impressive tow ratings by BMW for the X1. But keep in mind that those ratings are based on using a hitch that does not have any forward/aft play, which is very unusual in the U.S. hitch market. Most U.S. hitches use a sliding square pipe inside another square pipe, with a cross pin. That results in significant forward/aft play.

As a practical matter, your trailer load is going to be limited by the relatively low tongue-weight capability of the X1 chassis itself. But if you keep your tongue weight down to about 200 lbs, you can tow a significant load with the X1 per BMW's own international tow ratings for the vehicle. Of course you would need a hitch that was designed for such loads... :)

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

invisihitch
02-08-2013, 12:24 PM
What does it cost and how much to install?

pbrink1,

Over in the X5 forum, we have been discussing a discounted Group Buy for bimmerfest forum members. I was hoping to announce something today, but it looks like it will be Monday. What I can tell you now is that the discounted Group Buy will include the X1 as well as the X5 when the announcement is made.

Rather than repeat here the reasons for the Group Buy and the delay in announcing it, here is a link to the discussion on the X5 forum:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666918

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

invisihitch
02-12-2013, 01:13 PM
For those who may be interested, we finally received dealer approval to offer a Group Buy on the invisihitch. The details are posted in the site sponsor section. Here is a link:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675950

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

MiddleAgedMissi
02-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Any luck with the tow hitch

Wimped out and let Uhaul install. For $60 it was a no-brainer. They did a nice job. The installer said it was one of the more pain-in-the-ass installs he has done due to the lack of clearance to the bolts/nuts. Well worth the money considering the day I chose to do the install was rainy and cold. Also purchased wiring harness for $34.95 and install for that was also $60.

edman
02-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Wimped out and let Uhaul install. For $60 it was a no-brainer. They did a nice job. The installer said it was one of the more pain-in-the-ass installs he has done due to the lack of clearance to the bolts/nuts. Well worth the money considering the day I chose to do the install was rainy and cold. Also purchased wiring harness for $34.95 and install for that was also $60.

Can you take pictures and post when you have a moment? Very curious to see how the hitch looks.

invisihitch
03-05-2013, 03:08 PM
For those still interested, the deadline for the invisihitch Group Buy just got extended through the end of this week. That will close out the discount opportunity for this year.

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

rpocngold
03-12-2013, 03:14 PM

Middleage
Did you finally tow with the hitch. How did it work out. Looking to tow 1500 with a 150 tongue weight. Any problems with the wiring harness and X1 computer? If you could take a picture it would help
Tks

DonkeyX1
04-10-2013, 09:27 AM
For those who may be interested, we finally received dealer approval to offer a Group Buy on the invisihitch. The details are posted in the site sponsor section. Here is a link:

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Daryl, I was interested in one of these hitches (bike only version) for my X1.

Do you have any recommendations on installers for the Dallas-Ft. Worth area? What does a typical install cost?

Also, do you offer any discounts to Bimmerfest members (I know group buy is over)?

Thanks!

Lgriff
04-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Also interested in the bike trailer hitch for an X1 in Lancaster, PA. Any dealers you know of that I could use in this area?

invisihitch
04-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Daryl, I was interested in one of these hitches (bike only version) for my X1.

Do you have any recommendations on installers for the Dallas-Ft. Worth area? What does a typical install cost?

Also, do you offer any discounts to Bimmerfest members (I know group buy is over)?

Thanks!

I'm sorry I haven't been on the forums in a while. Just seeing this now...

The bimmerfest group buy was the one window of opportunity, negotiated with our dealers, where we were allowed to discount below MSRP.

A typical installation is about a 2.5 hour job. Labor rates vary by the local market and are set by each installer. I sent you a PM with the contact info for an installer in the Dallas-Ft.Worth area.

Also interested in the bike trailer hitch for an X1 in Lancaster, PA. Any dealers you know of that I could use in this area?

The closest installer we have to Lancaster is in the greater Philadelphia area. Sent you a PM with contact info.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

orphanandy
05-29-2013, 07:19 PM
My dealer just installed an execuhitch for me. I am very impressed, as were they, with the quality, design and ease of installation. I had an x3 with a BMW hitch and I have to say I like the execuhitch better. Both of the pictures are after the hitch was installed, one showing how invisible it is and the others showing it with the ball attachment. I also got the receiver attachment for a bike rack. The car is a X1 M sport line. The guys at execuhitch (invisihitch) were great to do business with.
Hi PatT,
I also live in New England and recently purchased an X1 from Tulley. Can I ask, is this where you had the hitch installed? Did they order the hitch for you, or did you order it and have it installed? I ask because I called the dealer today (Tulley) and they said they do not have a hitch nor will they install one?? Thanks for sharing :)

Seel37
06-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Just ordered Curt 13140. Online prices have dropped and AutoEverything matched the price.
Anyone have a suggestion for a wiring harness and/or part number?

invisihitch
06-04-2013, 09:14 AM
I generally refrain from commenting by name on another hitch manufacturer's products, but before your order is shipped please check to make sure your X1 has the panoramic sunroof option. Curt's hitch for the X1 only fits X1s with a panoramic sunroof (see Curt's installation instructions for verification of this).

It may seem odd that a hitch depends on a panoramic sunroof, but BMW adds an extra A-frame stiffener underneath the vehicle on panoramic-sunroof models to help compensate for the amount of material removed from the top of the unibody. The Curt hitch for the X1 depends on connecting to this added A-frame member underneath the vehicle.

Seel37
06-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Thank you for the heads up and yes it does have this option. The "search your vehicle" function on the sites I visited have this requirement programmed in.
Since the last post I found 2 or 3 kits available from etrailer.com.

smplee
08-08-2013, 12:18 PM
My product and customer service experience with ExecuHitch is MUCH different from others here. The wiring adapter (they call it a CPU for some reason) that handles the lighting for the trailer simply did not work. Rather than first suggest they swap it out, they insisted repeatedly that I had just not wired it up correctly. Try this. Try that. Check this continuity. Check that for a short. Are you sure it is this wire and not that wire? Then Silence. :mad: I'm forced to buy another product since this one will not work and no one at Execuhitch will assist me.

A quibble on the hitch design. Although the hitch appears well made, you might want to carry around a welders glove (right hand) so you can get the ball carrier out of the receiver without sustaining a serious burn from the exhaust system. This design on this car results in a VERY tight clearance between the release device and the exhaust system. To release the ball carrier, you have to lay on your back beneath the car, reach your hand into this clearance to insert the key (which points directly at the exhaust), turn the key, then after the release button pops out (further reducing the clearance) remove the key. (customer service response to this when I enquired if this was how it was supposed to be was to be careful).

invisihitch
08-08-2013, 02:13 PM
^ smplee - This should not have happened. I apologize, and I hope you will let me set this right for you. If you will PM me your contact information, I will have a new wiring controller shipped to you immediately. Just having a replacement controller in hand can help diagnose wiring issues, whether the controller turns out to be the problem or not. For precisely this reason, I generally send a new controller to customers who are having wiring problems. Honestly, I cannot recall an instance where the problem turned out to be the controller, and everyone kindly sends back the new controller. But if I were trying to diagnose a wiring issue I would appreciate having a spare controller in hand also, so I could at least eliminate it as a cause. I definitely get what you're saying. Please allow me to help you.

As for the hitch design, I agree it's a quibble. It's a reasonable quibble, but the limited space for hands under the X1 is not likely to change. There are tradeoffs that must be made in any product design. In our case, we put safety and style first, and we trade off tight hand space when we are absolutely forced to. By safety, I mean we will never design a hitch that attaches to a frame member forward of the bumper. Doing so bypasses the crumple zones. So in the event of a rear-end collision, crash energy gets transferred right into the cabin. We won't design those types of hitches. And by style, I mean we abhor cutting bumpers and leaving a permanent visible reminder that there is a hitch on the vehicle. Those two design criteria define who we are as a hitch company. Everything else is secondary... although we do try to make the hand space large enough for easy operation. On a smaller vehicle like the X1, once you design a hitch that respects the crumple zones and is completely hidden behind the bumper, you end up with a smaller hand space than we would prefer. I'm not saying I like that, but I accept it as a result of designing for safety and style first.

Again, please PM or email me your info and let me help you with the wiring concerns.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

smplee
08-17-2013, 11:44 AM
@ daryl
After your staff finally sent me a replacement controller, I plugged it in and it worked fine. You earn one attaboy for sending me a replacement for the bad controller. But you get an aw5hit for the amount of time I had to spend diagnosing this thing with your staff (nearly two months of back and forth and several hours of actual diagnostic activity).

obtw, as a mechanical engineer, I understand your discussion about design trade-offs and respect the design decisions that were made. I probably would have gotten the electrical locking version (if available for the X1) if I'd known of this issue. Perhaps you should make it clearer in the documentation.

Curttp
08-20-2013, 12:34 PM
I was wondering if anyone has evaluated the 2014 Xi for hitch capability yet. I have seen several hitches that will fit a 2013, but no one makes the statement that they fit a 2014.

kvanoman
08-20-2013, 07:26 PM
I have installed a hitch from Curt, model 13140, on my 2014 28i x-line M-sport. However, you must have the panoramic sunroof, there is a extra cross member underneath it attaches to. You need to be careful with the bumper covers while installing, easy to snap the tabs. Was some what off a task to install! It has a two inch hitch and might look border-line too large for some people. I'm happy with it, I just need to find a BMW or an after market hitch cover I like.

invisihitch
08-22-2013, 02:34 PM
smplee- Yeah we should have definitely handled that better. I'm glad you received the replacement controller and everything is working for you now, but I hang my head over the lack of urgency you received from us in resolving the problem. I will address it internally.

Curttp- The X1 invisihitch is confirmed to fit the 2014 model, and we do not connect to the A-frame member so the crumple zones of the vehicle still do their job exactly as intended in the event of a rear-end collision.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

jdoxey
08-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the update. I just did the curt 13140 on a 2014 model and it installed perfectly. Picked up the rivet gun $25 (here in saskatchewan) ahead of time, and other than that and a little care removing the bumper, it was a pretty leisurely 1 hour job (I skipped the regular 1 beer per page of instructions).

kvanoman
08-29-2013, 10:37 PM
Nice, glad to hear your CURT install went smooth. I'm quite pleased with my results so far. Can I just say I love the X1. It is exactly the car I needed, without sacrificing some of the "wants" and "must haves".

fishnmahi
11-20-2013, 08:13 PM
I Just installed a Reese Hitch on my X1. The wiring harness has stumped me. I dont want to splice and I cant find a t-connector nor wiring diagram. Any suggestions?

fishnmahi
11-20-2013, 08:14 PM
I Just installed a Reese Hitch on my X1. The wiring harness has stumped me. I dont want to splice and I cant find a t-connector nor wiring diagram. Any suggestions?

kvanoman
11-20-2013, 09:08 PM
The key to installing the Curt modulator is placing it on the correct side. This would be the passenger rear side to avoid the hot exhaust when running the connector plug to the back. (I did not do this and had to cut the plug, run wire leads from the drivers side to the passenger side, drill a whole through the metal, add a rubber grommet, and the reconnect the plug. Just pop both the storage bins out and you'll understand why I started on the drivers side. There is already a a grommet I cleverly ran the wires through and then realized it was to close to the hot exhaust. So after you find a void under the the small storage bin on the drivers side to place the modulator, you will still need to run a wire back over to the drivers side to connect to the drivers side turn signal. There is a channel back behind the large storage divider to run it and the lead to the battery. I used a 12 volt tester to locate the corrected wire to connect to. Just have some one help you press the brake pedal and poke back behind the lighting assembly till you find the correct lead. You can do the turning signals alone. Just turn them on and us the same method. I did not cut the wires, but rather used "quick splice connectors. Look them up online if you have never used them. Let me know if this helped. I also did it with the lower bumper cover off, be careful it is easy to snap off the plastic tabs. BMW poly is questionable. Hope this helps if you need to know the color of wire to connect to let me know.

kvanoman
11-20-2013, 09:17 PM
Regardless, I still had to cut the plug, drill a whole a small whole through the metal, insert a rubber a grommet, and splice the wire back together. I works beautifully. I haul around a small trailer I can fold up and store in the garage.

fishnmahi
03-01-2014, 03:10 PM
I purchased and installed a Curt tow bar in about 2 hours. I then brought the wiring harness that Curt sent with the tow bar to UHaul. They installed it for $80.00. All in I spent atout $220. The boat is 2,900 lbs (250 tw) and the car tows it like it a champ. As a side note I have the wiring adaptor under the mat in the back. I pull it out and just close the hatchback on it and go.

BMW-007
04-07-2014, 05:59 PM
Just picked up a new X1.

Thanks for all the info on this thread. Bought the Curt 13140 hitch and the 56146 wiring kit. Took it to a U-haul place with a full service shop as suggested here and they quoted me $100 to install both.

Took them about 1 3/4 hours to install. They brought the wire up into the rear on the side of the left storage bin for easy access rather than to the outside. That way I can extend the wires and close the hatch on it.

Nice job and hitch looks good and well concealed, barely visible.

thegod1
04-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Just got the Curt 13140 hitch for my 2013 X1 and I plan to install it this weekend.

I was concerned that the metal strap connection to the A frame would compromise the rear crumple zone but it appears you don't actually have to attach that piece of the hitch. The piece appears to primarily transfer the towing force along the length of the vehicle directly to the frame.

Without it the hitch is still attached with four bolts to the bumper mount. I think if your just using it for a bike rack the four bolts should be sufficient.

You just have to remember not to tow anything with the vehicle if you don't install the metal strap to the A frame. That also means you can install the hitch on X1 models without the sunroof if all you are using the hitch for is bikes.

conceyted
04-24-2014, 01:10 PM
Just got the Curt 13140 hitch for my 2013 X1 and I plan to install it this weekend.

I was concerned that the metal strap connection to the A frame would compromise the rear crumple zone but it appears you don't actually have to attach that piece of the hitch. The piece appears to primarily transfer the towing force along the length of the vehicle directly to the frame.

Without it the hitch is still attached with four bolts to the bumper mount. I think if your just using it for a bike rack the four bolts should be sufficient.

You just have to remember not to tow anything with the vehicle if you don't install the metal strap to the A frame. That also means you can install the hitch on X1 models without the sunroof if all you are using the hitch for is bikes.

No offense meant here, but let us all be clear on what you have just said. This is someone's opinion and not part of the recommended instructions from the manufacturer.

I personally have installed an aftermarket hitch on a vehicle where this "metal strap" was not included in the hitch design. On that vehicle I had trouble with the hitch sagging over time using it solely for a bike rack on a very light racing cycle. For this reason, I would not recommend leaving any pieces off during your hitch install.

invisihitch
05-03-2014, 09:07 AM
I am biased, of course, and I generally avoid comparisons to cheap aftermarket hitches. But the number of posts in this thread advocating putting a cheap aftermarket hitch on a brand new BMW really surprises me. Again, I am totally biased, but I just cannot see spending $40K or more on a new vehicle and then "saving" $200 by drilling holes in it or strapping something to its A-frame that bypasses the crumple zones. Meanwhile hoping that the wiring doesn't throw an electronic error a year later.

Invisihitch is an OE supplier to BMW, so its X1 hitch has been tested by BMW and certified for the full 4,400 lb towing capacity of the vehicle. The hitch attaches to the vehicle in the only BMW-approved manner, which preserves the rear crumple zones. And the hitch comes with a BMW-specific wiring harness -- also tested and approved. This is the hitch that BMW offers as its dealer X1 hitch overseas; they simply decided not to offer a dealer hitch for the X1 in North America.

Is the cost a little higher than an unapproved aftermarket hitch? Yes. Serious engineering goes into designing a hitch and harness that passes BMW's crash-worthiness and electronics testing. And serious engineering goes into making that same hitch completely undetectable so that the original style of the vehicle is preserved.

Current pricing of the X1 invisihitch is $419 for rack-only applications and $548 for the full tow+rack package with wiring harness, ballmount, and rack adapter all included. There are cheaper alternatives. But really? Really?

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

danimal4k
05-03-2014, 10:29 AM
Current pricing of the X1 invisihitch is $419 for rack-only applications and $548 for the full tow+rack package with wiring harness, ballmount, and rack adapter all included. There are cheaper alternatives. But really? Really?

Daryl, I'm interested in the invisihitch but I only could only find it for $675 (without ballmount): http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/bmw-x1-trailer-hitch.html

Is there a better place to order / purchase it?

invisihitch
05-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Daryl, I'm interested in the invisihitch but I only could only find it for $675 (without ballmount): http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/bmw-x1-trailer-hitch.html

Is there a better place to order / purchase it?

I really must apologize for the website. We inherited that site from execuhitch after purchasing the rights to the product line, and the site has not been maintained. I keep hearing that our own new site (www.invisihitch.com (http://www.invisihitch.com)) will launch "soon" but apparently there is still work to be done. In the meantime our site simply redirects to the old execuhitch site.

To place an order at the prices I quoted or to get more information, please call our sales office at (678) 400-0121 Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm Eastern.

And please keep an eye out for our new site when it does launch later this year.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

pwsharpe
05-19-2014, 09:11 PM
Last year, I purchased an invisihitch direct from the corporate HQ in Atlanta. They also installed it, quickly and without drama. I just used it last weekend to relocate my daughter. It (35i) pulled a tandem U-Haul trailer, from her University 400 miles home. No issues, damped the trailer hitch rattles and bangs. Was a great success. The 2014 X1 with M package functioned perfectly. Mileage suffered, dipped below 20 mpg at about 60 mph.

FLX1
05-25-2014, 09:06 PM
Invisihitch is awesome. I bought one and shortly after my new X1 arrived I took a series of deep breaths and installed it myself. Use it to mount my KŁat bike rack for the mountain bikes. Very high quality. Perfect.

Shredjim
05-26-2014, 09:47 AM
I installed the Curt hitch myself. All I use it for is to haul bikes with the kuat rack ie no electric required. It looks and works terrific. $120 delivered!

TBYD
10-23-2014, 10:10 PM
I installed a Hidden Hitch 2" receiver hitch (http://www.hiddenhitch.com/products/trailer-hitches/class-iii-iv-receiver/class-iii-iv-receiver/WfzaCtfZMf3bQWAnjcpetqJSmmDAVymX) and Rearguard (http://www.ngpracing.com/newstore/rearguards-by-rgm-bmw-x1-7-2012.html) bumper guard last weekend. Regarding the Rearguard, just want to say that the X-Line/Sport-Line guard fit my 2014 X1 xDrive28i base model perfectly.

We considered the Invis-Hitch (http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/bmw-x1-e84-bike-rack-only-hitch-2012-current.html) (Execu-Hitch). We opted for the Hidden Hitch because adding a bike rack would be a one step process with as little weight and as few connections as possible (my wife will often be putting the rack on and pulling it off herself).

The Hidden Hitch (and Draw Tight - same hitch) (https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2014_BMW_X1.htm) have a towing capacity rated to 3500 lbs and a max. tongue weight of 400 lbs. The Curt is rated to tow 2500 lbs. with a max. tongue weight of 250 lbs. The Curt hitch "requires" top stabilization straps for a "vertical load" such as a bike rack. Hidden Hitch does not require additional straps.

I am very pleased with the quality of the rack but the install was an adventure. On a 2014, the instructions say to remove the two lower trim pieces on the rear bumper. This does not leave you enough room to properly reach the top four bolts attaching the bumper (all six bolts are best reached with a deep socket and an 8" extension - not too mention doing so with a torque wrench or any wrench that would have enough leverage to properly tighten the nuts).

After removing the lowest rear trim piece, it was clear that little more would be gained by removing the second piece of trim. At this point I decided to remove the entire rear bumper. This meant first removing the tail lights and detaching the the rearmost half of the wheel well trim (and punching out two plastic rivets on each side - the entire job required 6 new rivets - Harbor Freight carries a plastic rivet gun that comes with 40 rivets (http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-riveter-with-40-industrial-strength-poly-rivets-97757.html), 10 of which are large enough to be used to re-secure your trim).

I have watched video of the tail lights being removed on a 2012 X1. There are plastic strips of trim on the inside of the lights (covered by the rear hatch) that are pried off to reveal bolts holding on the tail lights. The tail lights on my 2014 X1 appear to have similar pieces of trim hiding the bolts attaching the lights. DO NOT PRY THESE TRIM PIECES OFF, THEY ARE PART OF THE TAIL LIGHT AND PRYING WILL LIKELY BREAK YOUR NEW TAIL LIGHT ASSEMBLY. MY 2014 X1 tail lights attach with three small nuts accessed through small doors on each side of the cargo area near the lights.

Two other notes. The bolts holding on the bumper protrude approx 1.25 inches beyond the nuts threaded onto them. If you are using a socket wrench (and I just don't see doing this job properly with an open ended wrench), a DEEP 18 mm (or 3/4 in) socket is needed to remove and secure these nuts. Also, the instructions suggest you loosen (not remove) the third nut holding the bumper on (the one nut on each side that the hitch does not use). Don't just loosen this nut, back it off until it is at the end of the bolt (leaving it on just enough to hold your steel bumper in place). Doing so allows you to pull the bumper rearward which is the only way I could find to clear the exhaust control valve with the hitch. I positioned the hitch on the bolts and then slipped the additional washers on to the bolts (between the hitch and the frame) one at a time.

It also helps to pull off the left (outside) muffler hanger (in addition to removing the nut holding the inside hanger) so that the muffler can be moved far enough out of the way for the hitch to clear everything.

Taking the entire plastic bumper and both tail lights off was a bit more work (would have been less work if I hadn't followed the instructions to remove the lower trim pieces first) but it allowed me to move the bumper backwards and secure EVERYTHING to spec.

I called etralier.com after this install and spoke with a technician. He said that I wasn't the first to comment on the poor installation instructions. He agreed that the X1 hitch install was one of the more difficult installs. The inadequate instructions didn't help.

Hope this helps (assuming you're still reading this)!

ETA: Upsides are that the hitch is very well made and once in position fits perfectly. Job took about 3+ hours. Backed rear of vehicle onto ramps which helped a great deal with access and getting hitch into position. Pictures to come. _sl_

gcrofton
10-24-2014, 04:17 PM
After reading TBYD's post, it reminded me of my interest in installing a hitch. I had been looking at a hitch offered by U-Haul, so I decided to compare the Hidden Hitch to that offered by U-Haul. I discovered that one of the two hitches offered by U-Haul is the Hidden Hitch.

Click here (http://www.hiddenhitch.com/support/installation/N87630.pdf)for a link to the installation instructions for the Hidden Hitch.

Click here (http://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Trailer-Hitches-near-Dublin-CA-94568/815064/) to view the hitches available for the X1. Click on the drop-down box, select the hitch with Max Weight of 3500, then click on the Hitch Installation Guide - Model 75366 to view the installation instructions for the U-Haul hitch part number 75366.

Buying it from U-Haul costs $174.95 for the hitch and $80 for installation which seems very fair to me given a 3 hour installation. Oh and ordering it online there is a $10 discount.

Just thought the community would want to know.

Aerospike
10-27-2014, 01:04 PM
Buying it from U-Haul costs $174.95 for the hitch and $80 for installation which seems very fair to me given a 3 hour installation. Oh and ordering it online there is a $10 discount.

Just thought the community would want to know.

There's nothing on Uhaul's website for a 2014. Is invisihitch the only one that connects aft of the crumble zone? After all my bike and motorcycle crashes, I will gladly pay a little extra for less neck and back pain in the case of a crash.

gcrofton
10-28-2014, 01:06 AM
Aerospike, are you specifying a model as "W/Panoramic Roof"as this is a requirement for a hitch. If this doesn't get you what you need, try another zip code.

Daryl, where can I get a copy of the Invisihitch for the X11? And anyone know who will install an Invisihitch? Will U-Haul install it?

Aerospike
10-29-2014, 08:40 AM
I've tried my zip code and clicking the link from your previous post (CA zip code?). I don't get the option to specify if I have a sunroof or not. I just select 2014 X35i from the drop down menus and Uhaul's website tells me to take my car to their facility in AZ to make me a custom hitch. :D

gcrofton
10-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Aerospike, under model you must select "X1 W/ Panoramic Roof xDrive35i" or "X1 W/ Panoramic Roof sDrive28i". If you pick any other X11 choice you will get the result you got.

HBWT
10-30-2014, 06:04 AM
...anyone know who will install an Invisihitch? Will U-Haul install it?
Anyone/any shop that can remove the rear bumper can easily install the Invisihitch. I did it myself in a couple of hours with no previous experience removing the X1 bumper. It's not difficult.
Additionally, Invisihitch's instructions were for a non-MSport X1 and there were a few differences that I had overcome. Still, not that big of a deal. On a scale of 1-10 I rate it a 2.5.

Mr Peanut
11-01-2014, 10:18 AM
Really like the invisihitch/execuhitch concept, but the price is way up there when you consider all the necessary expenses (hitch, ball mount, install, etc). There was a discount offered a while ago on these to Bimmerfest folks. Any chance of seeing another one anytime soon?

ejtv
11-04-2014, 03:31 PM
I'm very happy with my Invisihitch. I use it to carry a dirt bike. (+/- 200lbs)

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/30/67f26a530fd558619a507b38b9ebc96e.jpg

....and a motorcycle trailer (in this pic about +/- 1,000 lbs)

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/17/673348c08e5f7b16f45e82a04a68d1e4.jpg