PDA

View Full Version : Android-USB-Non iDrive

X1-tahoe
10-21-2012, 12:30 AM
I'm getting an X1 without iDrive. Does anyone know if I can play music from my android phone using the USB connection?

conceyted
10-21-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm almost positive that you can use a USB thumb drive, but I tried connecting my evo to my wifes e90 non idrive via usb and putting the phone into mass storage mode with no luck. :(

Wish they would work out some android integration with USB like they have for iPhone. I have been toying around with buying a previous gen iPod touch to use in my x1 as a media storage device.

edx1
10-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Can't you stream via blutooth? I'm not well versed but maybe someone who's done this can pipe in and explain what features you can and can't use with Android phones. I actually don't even know if you need 'enhanced usb' to be able to do blutooth phone answering or if that's possible on an X1.

conceyted
10-21-2012, 01:47 PM
I can't stream music on the wifes e90, but you can take calls. I think you need idrive to stream music over bluetooth. There is also an adapter you can buy to do it but it is very pricey.

X1-tahoe
10-21-2012, 05:35 PM
If you don't have iDrive you can't use Bluetooth to stream music. I can use the aux cable but then need to manually access music from the phone directly. My hope was that I could connect my android via USB and then access songs via the car's controls. I may just bring my phone and cable to the dealership and try it there but then again all their cars will have iDrive.

stary
10-21-2012, 06:40 PM
o have the same problem with my galaxy SGII. what does work is just putting MP3s on a thumb drive... i picked up a 16gig thumb drive off eBay for $10 and the stereo reads the MP3s directly from that.. no cable needed :)

X1-tahoe
10-21-2012, 06:49 PM
I like the usb thumb drive idea. Were you able to get playlists from your s3 to the thumbdrive?

stary
10-21-2012, 06:51 PM
haven't tried playlists yet. ALSO, we just got a free thumb drive from BMW in the mail yesterday in the shape of a key... 2GB but still that is a ton of MP3s! so expect that to arrive if it hasn't already.