PDA

View Full Version : Any issues with your X1 thus far?

two-five boy
10-21-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm about to place an order for a X28i, fully loaded. I'd like to hear if there have been any common problems yet, considering its a first year NA release afterall. Thanks for any feedback.

PS - I've been reading about ppl not getting their paddle shifters, I want to confirm that is strictly a problem with the M-Sports, correct? For this reason alone I'm skipping on the M-sport and only getting the sportline.:mad:

edx1
10-21-2012, 09:02 PM
People who didn't get paddle shifting just had dealers who missed marking the option. They assumed the M-sport came with paddle shifters but they had to mark a specific (and free) code and many didn't do that. Don't let this simple oops keep you from the M-sport if that's what you want!!!

X1's seem pretty good so far regardless the specific line from what I've seen.

Some people think the interior isn't up to BMW's perfection, reports of inconsistent gaps between parts, more plastic than normal. Minor stuff if anything.

For 'maybe' issues that are still up for debate, there's some reports of a hesitation on first acceleration with the 28. It's not known exactly but there are some hints it's the newer 8 speed transmission as the X3 is known to have the issue proved by third party testing (And the F30 line has reports of transmissions that have self destructed -- but this transmission is also used by a half dozen car manufacturers so.... dunno) .

There's also reports of some odd clunking that people hear when it's downshifting as the car slows.

That's all the reports so far though I've dug up after hours and hours of research, and it probably isn't enough to keep anyone from getting the 28 (except me but I'm the rare case that I want to keep the car 10-15 years so I might go with the 2 year older 6 speed on the 35 to be safe).

two-five boy
10-21-2012, 09:49 PM
I've read about the purported hesistation from off the line starts as well. I'm coming from the X5 which has the same exact ZF 8-spd tranny, and imho the hesistation is caused by turbo lag more than anything else. Although the 2.0L is torquey, it does take a fraction of a second to build up boost. From my experience, the "hesistation" feels worse when the go pedal is mashed off a dead stop. Also the engine being off while stopped might be contributing to this hesistation as well. Love the 8-spd tranny btw, buttery smooth, quick shifting, and always finds the right gear.

the_fox
10-22-2012, 06:05 AM
FYI, paddle shifters are a NC option on both the sport line and the M sport line, but they are not standard in either line. You just need to tell your dealer to add them for free:

2XA - sport line paddle shifters
7XA - M sport line paddle shifters

Tirpitz
10-22-2012, 10:32 AM
I ordered my X1 in September and it will be here mid-November. I've been watching the boards in case major reliability issues popped up. I'm seeing roughly the same set of reported problems. The most worrisome would be the transmission hesitation but I have to say that I did not experience that in my test drive. I will check that when I do the final approval drive on my incoming car. Beyond that I have not seen anything that would convince me to walk away from my purchase. With several years of European production in place I think most of the major bugs have been worked out of the platform.

lovemygsp
10-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Ive got an s28i and the gas mileage so far is pretty poor considering what its rated at. I'm getting about 24mpg 50/50combined driving, not the reported 28. The best I've gotten on highway is 27. Its rather irritating. I wasn't expecting the 34mpg everywhere but I can't even get mine near 30. I;m at 1k in miles now and have been really babying it because of the 1200/4.5krpm thing so I'm not driving like a maniac. Thats the only issue I have so far though.

HotRodW
10-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Ive got an s28i and the gas mileage so far is pretty poor considering what its rated at. I'm getting about 24mpg 50/50combined driving, not the reported 28. The best I've gotten on highway is 27. Its rather irritating. I wasn't expecting the 34mpg everywhere but I can't even get mine near 30. I;m at 1k in miles now and have been really babying it because of the 1200/4.5krpm thing so I'm not driving like a maniac. Thats the only issue I have so far though.

I have the same complaint. My best tank so far has been just over 27 mpg, and that was almost entirely highway driving with EcoPro on. Two recent 400-mile highway trips both netted less than 26, and that was without the AC running. It's obvious BMW overrated the efficiency of the 2.0T. My wife drives her Q5 like she stole it, and she's doing as well as I am (EPA 20/27). I am beyond disappointed.

Tirpitz
10-22-2012, 12:29 PM
The mileage issue isn't a dealer killer for me but I'm curious if other BMW cars with the N20 plus 8 speed are having similar mileage miss matches. I haven't paid enough attention to the other series forums to know. At the end of the day BMW doesn't get to pull those numbers out of thin air. They come from EPA testing. Perhaps BMW has figured out a way to setup the engine software to get great results on the EPA test but the setup does not translate to real world MPG. My current Honda was tested under the old standard and claimed 22 MPG city but I have never gotten better than 20 MPG city in the car. Highway number is dead on though.

bimmerized
10-22-2012, 12:45 PM
recently noticed some hessitation on acceleration while paddle shifting. Didn't notice this before so maybe it's the 89 octane fuel I put in. Was putting in 91, but it's cooler now so I thought I'd give it a try...

I'm still getting 26.1 MPG overall, while driven somewhat aggrssively since I'm over 2K miles now. Now that I can rev it freely, I don't see the need. The engine pulls best from 3000-4500 anyway. It sings to redline without fault or excitement. Not as fun to rev as the I6, but there if you need the hp.

One problem I've had was with filling fuel. It will stop before full if the nozzle tip is not tilted down. Seems isolated to my car, but I'll have to have it checked.

HotRodW
10-22-2012, 12:55 PM
The mileage issue isn't a dealer killer for me but I'm curious if other BMW cars with the N20 plus 8 speed are having similar mileage miss matches. I haven't paid enough attention to the other series forums to know. At the end of the day BMW doesn't get to pull those numbers out of thin air. They come from EPA testing. Perhaps BMW has figured out a way to setup the engine software to get great results on the EPA test but the setup does not translate to real world MPG. My current Honda was tested under the old standard and claimed 22 MPG city but I have never gotten better than 20 MPG city in the car. Highway number is dead on though.

Actually, BMW does set the mileage numbers themselves - at least initially. The EPA only tests about 15% of vehicles to validate the ratings, and they simply trust the manufacturers on the remaining 85%. BMW attempted to apply a highway rating of 36 mpg to the 2012 328i, but the EPA did force them to change it to 33. I guess that should have been a red flag.

two-five boy
10-22-2012, 03:34 PM
FYI, paddle shifters are a NC option on both the sport line and the M sport line, but they are not standard in either line. You just need to tell your dealer to add them for free:

2XA - sport line paddle shifters
7XA - M sport line paddle shifters

Just want to provide an update to everyone, I was at the dealer finishing up the deal today, and I DID SEE the MSport Paddle Shifters (7XA) already included as part of the pkg., with no other way to select 7XA separately. I'm not sure if BMW's ordering system has corrected itself since the fiasco, or this is where the early production order problems stemmed from. I didn't get Msport at the end, only sportline with paddles, due to the uncertainty of the paddles (deal-breaker for me), being equipped with summer tires, and to save $1K.