PDA

View Full Version : Moonroof opinions

Eric Genname
10-25-2012, 01:01 AM
I generally avoid options, but I'm going to buy an X1 with a black interior, and I'm concerned about it being a bit dark and gloomy inside. Some people love moonroofs, while others think that putting a window on the roof of a moving vehicle is not a smart idea. Care to weigh in on this implementation? I would be grateful for opinions.

conceyted
10-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Well, even when opting for black interior the top half of the interior is beige. So, the dark and gloomy feeling isn't there even without a moon roof option. However, the panoramic moon roof is really impressive. I probably won't use it a lot on mine, but I got it because of the reaction I had the first time I saw it in person.

edx1
10-25-2012, 08:34 AM
My wife had the the panaramic type roofs on her A3 and when she got a new car she went with the Tiguan because it had the same system. She's asked that our X1 has the roof as well because she likes as much light as she can get. We will also be getting the black interior which I like so it's a good compromise for a dark interior.

AzNMpower32
10-25-2012, 09:50 AM
It's a great option for livening up the interior and fresh air, but long-term maintenance can be a problem if you plan to keep the vehicle for the long haul, as repairs generally aren't possible; replacement of the entire cassette is the only solution to most failures.

edx1
10-25-2012, 10:05 AM
It's a great option for livening up the interior and fresh air, but long-term maintenance can be a problem if you plan to keep the vehicle for the long haul, as repairs generally aren't possible; replacement of the entire cassette is the only solution to most failures.

But how common are failures? I would hope 1/1000 or something like that but it sounds like they may not be that rare. Any idea how much it costs to replace moonroof? I'll be keeping our X1 for 10-15 years.

AzNMpower32
10-25-2012, 08:11 PM
But how common are failures? I would hope 1/1000 or something like that but it sounds like they may not be that rare. Any idea how much it costs to replace moonroof? I'll be keeping our X1 for 10-15 years.
Care to do a forum search on the X3, X5, 3er and 5er touring models?

They have improved the design over the years but it's still one $2000+ contraption waiting to fail. Add to that the possiblity of leaks- the glass is not designed to be fully waterproof, rather it relys on the two drains in the frame of the cassette. If they clog.....your floorboards may be slightly soggy.

HotRodW
10-25-2012, 10:16 PM
I like the light at times, but I rarely open the roof. My roof doesn't squeak or rattle, but many do, so I know it's a possibility down the road. I could certainly live without it. I really think Range Rover is on to something with the Evoque's fixed glass roof. Sure it's heavier than a conventional metal roof, but I think it's worth it in a vehicle not designed to corner like a sports car.

pico
10-27-2012, 10:02 PM
I love the moonroof implementation in the X-series. Had the panoramic moonroof in my A3 and hated how the shades were perforated and manual...did not do a good enough job of shielding sunlight on the super sunny days. Same way with the MINI Cooper. My old X3 had a wide expanse of glass and the shades are solid and retract to fullly block out sunlight when required. Seems to quiet the cabin somewhat but it could be just me. Loved the light and airiness it brings to the cabin. Same setup with the X1. I never had any problems with leaks on my X3 and don't expect to have any on the X1 but hopefully it'll be covered by warranty, but after that... Honestly I never open the glass aside from the vent position because of wind noise when fully open. I was pretty close to getting an Evoque with the full glass roof standard (which doesn't open)...but was scared off by some stories of the glass cracking under stress...expensive proposition to replace/fix. Affords marvelous light throughout the entire cabin, but that's a little scary. They're now offering a solid roof.

greyX1
10-28-2012, 06:35 PM
resale value...