BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Good ext warranty company for m3

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  lenardbjr 
#1 ·
If you already have one whats a good company that covers the M3's? THanks.

#2 ·
Just got a call from a Ext warranty company that refused to email me the warranty contract. If you get a call from American Auto Shield dont pay for it. THey have over 100 complaints on BBB but are still a A+. Just trying to help the other Beemer heads.

#3 ·
I'm not sure how you define a good company for this warranty, but my guess is that there are no options out there. Not speaking to the company but how much you will have to pay for an extended warranty on an M3. Like many insurance policies,( and that's what an extended warranty is ) these warranty policies are priced, in part, based on the losses paid compared to the premium earned. The E46 M3 reliability is so pitiful that the pricing of those policies must be huge. Before we have to discuss reliability of these cars, please refer to all the complaints on this forum, and others. I'm basing my relaibility comment only on what I've read here, and elsewhere. My car had all the factory issues cleaned up before I bought it, and I've had no breaks, etc. so far.
However, when this car breaks, most of you may know that it costs a lot to fix it. The warranty companies know what breaks, how frequently the breaks occur, and how much it costs to fix those breaks.
Suggest you contact those 'stealers" everyone seems to hate so much. Each one probably sells policies from more than one company. See if you can get a price for your car, then decide what's right for you.
FWIW, when I bought my E 46 M3 2 years ago from the 2nd owner, the best price I could find in the Northwest area was about 3X the same policy for a comparable Asian car.
The newer M3 models may have improved so much that such policies are readily available and / or relatively inexpensive. Let us know what you find in the marketplace. Good luck.
Good luck.

#8 ·
You will need to purchase the extended warranty during the original warranty period to get a "good" policy.

When my 2005 M3 warranty was coming up in mid 2009 I priced them extensively. I have used them very successfully on a number of cars I have had that had lower extended warranty costs and have gotten new engines, new transmissions, etc. with them. (all that needs a very friendly dealer also).

However my pricing of the ext warranty put it at $4500 at the time. I could easily replace the SMG pump for that price myself so decided to self insure. I have the $4500 in the bank and although it hasn't earned much interest, I haven't had to do any extraordinary maintenance that the policy would have covered yet either. And that was 3.5 years ago so the ext warranty would be over about now.

So I am $4500 ahead of the game.

My only suggestion is to not spend the "premium" you are paying yourself to insure against major repairs. You may need it and if you do, you want to have the money available at that time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.