BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rear shocks stuck

8K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Monsignor 
#1 ·
Rear shocks wont come of I put lowering springs on the front ones but the rears wont come off

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

#20 · (Edited)
use a pickle fork and a 3lb sledge. It has worked for me every time.

Andy
Had to do the same with my five speed a few months ago. I sprayed it down with plenty of WD-40 and just went at it with the forkinhammer (Pun intended) :thumbup:

Now I need to replace the fronts on my Benz. No springs to deal with :eek:))) That baby has torsion bars in the front...

#6 · (Edited)
Never had a problem taking one off. However when reinstalling it I will use a car jack (non BMW) and place it under the lower deck and raise it just enough to slide the lower shock mount on. Maybe this technique can aid in removal. Jack it up slightly and tap it off.

What is the orange toggle switch in the pic for?

#7 ·
Never had a problem taking one off. However when reinstalling it I will use a car jack (non BMW) and place it under the lower deck and raise it just enough to slide the lower shock mount on. Maybe this technique can aid in removal. Jack it up slightly and tap it off.
I like that proposed solution :thumbup:

#9 ·
But having it up on a lift with the weight of the suspension hanging is perhaps what is loading the shock mount (downward).

If I understand My525iT's suggestion below, he is saying that the car can be suspended (either with a lift or jack stands), but have it low enough to the ground that you can use a jack underneath the section with the lower shock mount. This will unload it enough to perhaps be able slip the shock off.

It's worth a shot. Either way, good luck and please do let us know how you get it off once you do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.