View Full Version : Tires on the x5

07-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Maybe you guys can solve a debate between my wife and I. If you have to replace a tire on the x5 do you have to replace 1 , 2, or all 4 in order for it to be safe and perform well?
I say replace two she says replace all 4 or it impacts the performance of the car because the treads will be uneven.

Let me know what you think.

06-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Hi all,
Found this unanswered in the archives.
Today I found a sidewall gouge in my wife's front tire.
So I'm off to the tire store with the same question.
Do I replace 1, 2 or 4 tires? It has the staggered 19's Michelin. (about 25K of mixed driving on them)
Tire Rack had this info:
Audi As published in their vehicle owner's manual, "rolling radius of all 4 tires must remain the same" or within 4/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth.
Porsche Cayenne within 30% of the other tire on the same axle's remaining treadwear.
Subaru Within 1/4-inch of tire circumference or about 2/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth
My dealer service rep said it doesn't matter just change 1.
Any forum thoughts?

06-03-2006, 03:56 PM
If it's the same make and model of what's already on the car, just replace 2 (over the same axel). You can probably get away with replacing just 1 if the others still have a significant amount of threads on them (this is still assuming that you're going with the same make/model tire). If you're replacing with a different tire make/model, then it's safer to replace all 4 since this is an All-Wheel-Drive system, you don't want to take any chances of having different tire rolling diameters messing up your drive train (different tire manufacturers do differ slightly in their tolerance).

06-03-2006, 05:36 PM
After a frustrating morning trying to find a tire tread depth gauge, I got it.
Rears measured between 7-8/32 of an inch and fronts 6-7/32 of an inch.
Tire rack reccomended 2 new fronts at 10/32 of an inch. Drop shipped to a local installer, 470 ish before balancing and mounting!
Apparently the X drive will tolerate up to 4/32 of an inch difference.
Update to follow after install.
BTW Tirerack.com was way cheaper than some local stores and my "stealer".