PDA

View Full Version : Tires on the x5

jdhunt
07-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Maybe you guys can solve a debate between my wife and I. If you have to replace a tire on the x5 do you have to replace 1 , 2, or all 4 in order for it to be safe and perform well?
I say replace two she says replace all 4 or it impacts the performance of the car because the treads will be uneven.

Let me know what you think.

michaeloliverio
06-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Hi all,
Found this unanswered in the archives.
Today I found a sidewall gouge in my wife's front tire.
So I'm off to the tire store with the same question.
Do I replace 1, 2 or 4 tires? It has the staggered 19's Michelin. (about 25K of mixed driving on them)
Tire Rack had this info:
Audi As published in their vehicle owner's manual, "rolling radius of all 4 tires must remain the same" or within 4/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth.
Porsche Cayenne within 30% of the other tire on the same axle's remaining treadwear.
Subaru Within 1/4-inch of tire circumference or about 2/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth
My dealer service rep said it doesn't matter just change 1.
Any forum thoughts?
Mike

dkl
06-03-2006, 02:56 PM
If it's the same make and model of what's already on the car, just replace 2 (over the same axel). You can probably get away with replacing just 1 if the others still have a significant amount of threads on them (this is still assuming that you're going with the same make/model tire). If you're replacing with a different tire make/model, then it's safer to replace all 4 since this is an All-Wheel-Drive system, you don't want to take any chances of having different tire rolling diameters messing up your drive train (different tire manufacturers do differ slightly in their tolerance).

michaeloliverio
06-03-2006, 04:36 PM
After a frustrating morning trying to find a tire tread depth gauge, I got it.
Rears measured between 7-8/32 of an inch and fronts 6-7/32 of an inch.
Tire rack reccomended 2 new fronts at 10/32 of an inch. Drop shipped to a local installer, 470 ish before balancing and mounting!
Apparently the X drive will tolerate up to 4/32 of an inch difference.
Update to follow after install.
BTW Tirerack.com was way cheaper than some local stores and my "stealer".
Mike