PDA

View Full Version : Difference with LED lighting?

nwills
11-09-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm picking up my 650i GC tomorrow morning and didn't get the LED lighting. I searched online to get a comparison of the LED headlights vs. non LED and couldn't find anything.

I'm assuming the color and look is different but was wondering if the LED package adds additional lighting such as the eyebrows or other accents?

jkrutch
11-11-2012, 07:51 PM
I had LED on my Audi A8 and I will likely never own another car without the LED lighting. It's (pardon the pun) night and day compared to Xenon. It's like daylight...super bright and white.

wassy
11-11-2012, 08:41 PM
I disagree. But first, I agree. Lol. I can't speak for Audi, but I can tell you that my current 6gc LED's, while beautiful in their own right, are about on par with BMW's Xenon system, having owned both. They are beautiful to look at lit, and do a great job lighting up the road. Like others, I think they should be included in cars of these caliber (price range). Like all other buzz items, it will be standard fare in a couple years. Probably led by the 7's redesign in 15/16..

wassy
11-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Oh and to answer OP's latter question, I can't be sure but to my eyes, it appears the license plate lamp is led, at least by the brightness. Brightest license light I've ever seen. It may be same for both LED and Non LED. The entire light module is different for the LED's, both in look and in function. It does take a side by side comparison to see, but the differences are easily recognizable. As you probably know, the taillights are LED as standard. Haven't noticed side markers at night outside car yet.

From a brightness and function standpoint I think you'll be quite impressed with the Xenon. Enjoy the car!

jkrutch
11-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Fair enough since my only comparison is Audi. Your experience is certainly more meaningful. I hope I end up disagreeing should I pull the trigger on the GC. I want there to be a big difference. That being said, I need to make a decision on which car to get....this is a tough one.

wassy
11-12-2012, 08:33 AM
This was snapped from the BMWUSA brochure on the 6 series to show you a side by side. they don't look that much different lit, a bit different when off.

djsaad1
11-12-2012, 08:45 AM
We were on a trip a few months ago and had 2 Mercedes c class rentals. one had full led the other didn't. It really was a huge difference between those two cars, but it's very possible that the base lighting in the 6 series is much better than the base lighting in a c class.

nwills
11-14-2012, 04:34 PM
This was snapped from the BMWUSA brochure on the 6 series to show you a side by side. they don't look that much different lit, a bit different when off.

Thanks! that's what I was looking for.

There's definitely a difference in the design with the LED being slightly squared off and the extra strip of light below the rings.

Either ways...I already have my 650GC and it doesn't have the LED's so there's no going back now.....not to mention that I absolutely love this car...so not a big deal!