BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

virgontour

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  _Ethrty-Andy_ 
#1 ·
1989 5 series e34 3.4 engine automatic..... very sluggish off the start , any tips to improve this .....

#3 ·
Manual gearbox, lower rear differential ratio, sell it and buy a V8;)

The engines 4200 rpm torque peak and the transmissions 2000 rpm stall speed will never conspire to give you aggressive off the line acceleration.

#4 ·
Service it properly, tune it correctly. If it's still too slow for you - bigger engined BMW here you come.

#8 ·
These motors really don't respond to upgrades. If you think It's slow It's because It's behind on maintaince somewhere. Also second and third is where mine shines. 1st is just to big to for being quick. Just takes to long to get to 3.5k and up, where it signs.

#13 ·
Someone actually told you this ? Which oil was he referring to, or was he talking about everything ?

Perhaps lifeguard would be able to go the distance for a transmission, but not engine oil. Surely the engine would have fallen apart long before that.

#14 ·
Funnily enough, I now know what you mean by "sluggish". I also have a 535, Last week i'd floor the accelerator and it would have great acceleration and rev high up into 1st gear then change to 2nd gear. Now, for some unknown reason, I floor the accelerator and it feels like its starting in 2nd gear and takes forever to rev out and I have not done anything to the engine. TELL ME HOW TO FIX IT :mad:

#16 ·
or remove the battery leads at the terminals and join the cables together

#17 · (Edited)
This idea of joining the cables together has to do with the notion that there is some balance electrical charge left in the system due to the presence of capacitors. And, as long as there is a balance charge, the existing error codes are kept alive and undeleted on the system.

To get rid of this capacitance, I used to recommend that the ignition be key2ed following removal of the ecu clamp, in the effort to delete error codes.

I'm not so sure that it works this way. Could someone with a code reader confirm ? Its easy to create a code...just disconnect the afm while the engine is running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.