PDA

View Full Version : X5 in Paris 2 Dakar

LVR
07-14-2004, 03:18 AM
Was getting stirred by a friend the other day who carried on about how good a Land Rover was, in comparison to my pride and joy when it came to off road.

I pointed out that X5's had done pretty well in the Paris to Dakar and that if I wanted to drive a barge all day on road (having driven one before), I would buy a Land Rover instead of my X5.

It set me wondering though, how high has a Landrover/ Mercedes/Porsche? etc finished in this race? The official websites I have found are not clear on past winners.

Does anybody know?

bdb
07-14-2004, 07:18 AM
It set me wondering though, how high has a Landrover/ Mercedes/Porsche? etc finished in this race? The official websites I have found are not clear on past winners.

Does anybody know?

Porsche won in 86 with the 959, finished 1st 2nd and 6th
and 84 with a 911

Mercedes won in 83, Jacky Ickx Drove for them.

The rest have been pretty much rally bred Citroen's and Mitsubishis

PhilH
07-14-2004, 08:34 AM
The X5 in the Dakar Rally looks quite a bit like a production X5, but shares almost ZERO with it. It's a race/rally car with the shell of an X5 on top of it.

You should have seen Fifth Gear (the British show) on Speed TV a couple nights ago. They had video of an X5 (admittedly an X5 4.6is) as well as an ML500 and a new Range Rover on a racetrack.

:bustingup

OMFG, you should have seen what a pig the Range Rover was on a racetrack. It leaned so bad in the corners that it lifted the inside wheel right off the ground. The stability control then jumped in, dipping the car back to the pavement with a lurch. :eek: In comparison, the X5 looked like a fairly well sorted sedan, sliding gracefully through the corners and the ML500 just looked a little floaty and unsettled. At the end of one lap, the X5 was 5 seconds ahead than the ML, which was 5 seconds ahead than the Range Rover.

IMO, who the hell cares how well the Range Rover does offroad. What is the percentage of the time you drive offroad compared to the time you're on the road?