PDA

View Full Version : Infiniti FX35 vs. X5 & X3

pjo1966
07-15-2004, 12:01 PM
I'm currently driving a 2003 Infiniti FX35 and am not 100% happy with it. I've been complaining about the brakes squeaking and grinding from the beginning. Corporate tells me their engineers are working on it and I'm losing my patience. One of the options I'm exploring is either the X3 or the X5. I definitely like the looks of the FX better, but I'm wondering about the performance. Has anyone ever compared the FX to the X3 or X5?

LeucX3
07-15-2004, 12:08 PM
Has anyone ever compared the FX to the X3 or X5?
I drove both and they're not comparable. The X3 and X5 are a whole lot better in terms of driving dynamic than the FX. With the BMW's, your driving a sports car that happens to have a lot of cargo space. I didnt' get that same impression with the FX.

As far as value goes, the FX wins hands down. Then again, the BMWs will probably have better resale value. If you want a refined SAV, then i'd go for the X5. Right now, the X3 has its first year production issues (squeeks, rattles, things that dont' work that should, things that should be there, but aren't).

pjo1966
07-15-2004, 12:22 PM
Before i had the FX I was driving a Z3. I never drove the X5 and the X3 was not yet out. I was impressed by how well the Infiniti handled and I was coming from a very small two-seater to an SUV. I guess I should have given the X5 a chance. I just really liked the design of the FX. My biggest gripe is the brakes. Also there was a bit of misinformation when I bought the FX. I was told it had free scheduled maintenance "just like BMW" when I bought it. That turned out to not be true. That salesman eventually lost his job.

LeucX3
07-15-2004, 12:28 PM
Before i had the FX I was driving a Z3. I never drove the X5 and the X3 was not yet out. I was impressed by how well the Infiniti handled and I was coming from a very small two-seater to an SUV. I guess I should have given the X5 a chance. I just really liked the design of the FX. My biggest gripe is the brakes. Also there was a bit of misinformation when I bought the FX. I was told it had free scheduled maintenance "just like BMW" when I bought it. That turned out to not be true. That salesman eventually lost his job.
Well, as an FYI, free scheduled maintenance on a BMW consists of:

Inspection 1 at 15,000 miles (oil change and other stuff)
Inspection 2 at 30,000 miles (oil change and other stuff)

That's it. Those are the only two oil changes covered, if you want to get your oil changed at 3k, 5k or 7.5k mile intervals, you'll have to pay for that yourself. Someone else on here can probably provide what the 'other stuff' is, but i dont' have that info handy.

pjo1966
07-15-2004, 12:38 PM
i'm also intrigued by the Ford Escape Hybrid which is coming out this summer. it's about the same size as the X3 but it's certainly nothing special to look at. Since I've been averaging 14 MPG, the Hybrid is very attractive.

pjo1966
07-15-2004, 12:40 PM

That's it. Those are the only two oil changes covered, if you want to get your oil changed at 3k, 5k or 7.5k mile intervals, you'll have to pay for that yourself. Someone else on here can probably provide what the 'other stuff' is, but i dont' have that info handy.

yes, I recall that from my Z3, however the supplemental oil changes only cost about 12 bucks. Infiniti wants $85.

LeucX3
07-15-2004, 12:45 PM
yes, I recall that from my Z3, however the supplemental oil changes only cost about 12 bucks. Infiniti wants $85.
Your dealer must have special pricing for their customers. Mine wants about $80 for a simple oil change.

I've been getting no less than 19 mpg in mixed driving.

AndDown
07-15-2004, 02:34 PM

If you drive less than 15,000 a year (I put in about 8K/car each year), BMWNA will also pay for a yearly oil service. Also, I've had the brake fluid changed at the 2-year anniversary. The X's coolant is due for replacement (3-year anniversary) but since I'm down to 1 yellow light on my OBC, I'll wait to do that at Insp 2. I also had the front brakes (X5) replaced at 19K miles as well as the wiper blades. All of these were done under the free maintenance. The new bimmers are covered for maintenance and warranty for 4 years or 50,000 miles.

pjo1966
07-15-2004, 02:43 PM
Your dealer must have special pricing for their customers. Mine wants about $80 for a simple oil change.

I've been getting no less than 19 mpg in mixed driving.

That 12 bucks was at 2 different dealers... the one where I leased the Z3 and the other was closer to where I moved.

Patrick330i
07-15-2004, 03:09 PM
That 12 bucks was at 2 different dealers... the one where I leased the Z3 and the other was closer to where I moved.

Now I hate to ask a dumb question, but I have to ask, are we talking about synthetic oil here? My dealer was sending out all kinds of coupons for oil changes that were a steal. You know why? Not synthetic oil. Sorry to ask this question, but....

asnpcwiz
07-19-2004, 11:57 AM
The Ford Hybrid is supposed to have a wait list out the ying yang. One of my friends who wants one says the waitlist is about 25,000 more than they are making. I'm not sure if this is accurate.

I'd say $12 for an oil change is damn good. In fact too damn good to be true. You can't even buy oil and change it yourself for that cheap nowadays. It sounds like something funny is up with that.

I'd say get the X5, but that's because I'm a fan of it. Not to hot on the Infiniti, and the X3 still hasn't grown on me yet.

Fzara2000
07-19-2004, 12:27 PM
My mom drives the FX35. She gets these crazy stares like "an older woman driving that car?"

It really is not a bad car. It handles very good, and the power and the loud exhaust is beautifully refined. However, the car's suspension is very tight, and bumps and things like that are not very smooth and can give you alot of vibration.

Also, the back seats are not made for children. The door openings suck, so if you're going to transport more than 1 person, consider looking at something else.

pjo1966
07-22-2004, 03:30 PM
The only time I ever had a problem with passengers in the back seat was when I tried to put an adult in the middle seat. We were going on winding roads through the canyons and he kept slipping off the seat and I wasn't even driving fast. Otherwise the leg room and overall size in the back is very comfortable for tall (6'+) adults. I strap my dog into the center seat because that seatbelt receptical is not recessed at seat level like the other two. She was able to unbuckle herself fairly easily by stepping in just the right place. She hasn't unbuckled herself from the middle seat yet.

As for the $12 oil change... yes, it was the synthetic oil.

I should be test driving the Escape Hybrid this weekend. My local dealer is waiting for them to come in from the port. Someone in another forum spotted one driving around Los Angeles and it had already been registered... it wasn't a test drive. I can't wait to test it.

As much as I love everything BMW, I'm not happy about the X3 reviews people have been giving (although I don't consider the X3 to be a true BMW... start the flames now) and I want to move down from the X5 price range.

LeucX3
07-23-2004, 08:20 AM
As much as I love everything BMW, I'm not happy about the X3 reviews people have been giving (although I don't consider the X3 to be a true BMW... start the flames now) and I want to move down from the X5 price range.
I don't really care what anyone thinks of my X3 because i know it's a BMW. I just got back from on overnight trip to Mountain View and had an Explorer XLT as a rental. When i got home and drove my car, i knew i was behind the wheel of a BMW. This wasn't a clunky big suv, it was a pure driving machine.

ProcyonB
08-16-2004, 07:42 PM
"I don't really care what anyone thinks of my X3 because i know it's a BMW. I just got back from on overnight trip to Mountain View and had an Explorer XLT as a rental. When i got home and drove my car, i knew i was behind the wheel of a BMW. This wasn't a clunky big suv, it was a pure driving machine.-LeucX3"

I agree, the X3 is a great-driving BMW (definitely one of the best handling SUVs around due to its smallish size, XDrive and good power/weight ratio). I am sure pjo1966 will like the Escape Hybrid though -- they do handle very well for a SUV. I'd suggest looking into long-term costs though. Just because he could save a few hundred per year on gas doesn't mean he would be saving money. Most reports I've read suggest that hybrid cars can take 10-15 years for their owners to recoup their extra expenses via savings on fuel prices (because of higher sales prices, lower-than-factory-reported mpg, and higher estimated maintnance costs associated with new engine types).

Not to mention that I've never met a Ford without electrical problems -- and so owning an electric/hybrid Ford in its first py would make me shudder. :confused:

(oh yeah, and as for FX vs. X3 I think it is a matter of personal preference. Nissan/Infinity can make a really good vehicle when they put their mind to it. For some reason I just didn't find the styling as attractive -- but no complaints about anything else with the FX).

cantona7
08-17-2004, 10:37 AM
The FX is, to my eyes, one of the most attractive SUVs out there. That said, I've never driven one so I can't comment. A friend of mine traded in his E36 M3 '95 for one and says he likes it well enough, but misses his old car. I've driven the X3 and was very impressed. It definitely drives like a BMW and it doesn't feel like you're behind the wheel of a 4,000 lb. truck either. I'd at least test-drive one.

eelnoraa
08-17-2004, 11:32 AM
From my test drive experience, FX35 is very nice SUV over all, very good value compare to X3. The only thing I don't like is how small the FX seems to be, the smallest cargo space I have seen in any SUV. It is a cool car, but not a pratical car.

eel

jflemieux
08-28-2006, 06:09 AM
I own a X5 3.0 since some years. There is some minor assembly problem(made in USA...) and software bugs, but overall a great driving machine. The only caveat are brakes; they are melting. You need to change it every 40000km (25000 miles?) and they are costly. It seems it's worst if you live like me in northern snowly area; Stability control reduces brakes life.

If you buy a BMW; it's like marrying a 36-24-36 blond hair-blue eyes girl. Inspiring, but you must expect many problems in the future.

AW328i
08-28-2006, 11:06 AM
:spank: (sorry, couldn't find a "beating a dead horse" smiley) This $12 dollar oil change, please tell me where and who is doing this. The cheapest synthetic oil I have seen is 2.49 a quart, and at @ 7 quarts to fill the engine that's 17.50. The garage is paying you to have an oil change. Do you mean an oil filter change? That would seem more logical. The reason this interests me so much is that I've been wrenching on cars since the eighties, and spent 8 years in the Army as a mechanic and never heard of a price that good!

AzNMpower32
08-28-2006, 02:49 PM
The X3 is heading into its 4th MY now in 2007 with a facelift. See if that suits you. As for my X3, I have very few (fewer than expected of a german car) issues, and none of them are serious. One was a mirror that wouldn't tilt down in reverse (warranty) and a weak belt tensioner (warranty). That's it. Maybe I'm lucky?

e60lover
08-28-2006, 03:58 PM
I drove both and they're not comparable. The X3 and X5 are a whole lot better in terms of driving dynamic than the FX. With the BMW's, your driving a sports car that happens to have a lot of cargo space. I didnt' get that same impression with the FX.

As far as value goes, the FX wins hands down. Then again, the BMWs will probably have better resale value. If you want a refined SAV, then i'd go for the X5. Right now, the X3 has its first year production issues (squeeks, rattles, things that dont' work that should, things that should be there, but aren't).

X5's have good cargo space??? I don't think so. :cry: :thumbdwn: