PDA

View Full Version : x3 farmed out by bmw

g550guy
07-15-2004, 08:25 PM
I just saw a TV show on the SPEED channel about the X3. They said the X3 was the first BMW that was manufactured in a non-BMW plant. I was surprised.

g550guy
07-15-2004, 08:33 PM
The X3 is assembled in Arnold Schwarzenegger's hometown of Graz, Austria, not by BMW, but by a subcontractor, Magna Steyr Fahrzeugtechnik AG & Co. KG.

RCK
07-15-2004, 08:39 PM
The X3 is assembled in Arnold Schwarzenegger's hometown of Graz, Austria, not by BMW, but by a subcontractor, Magna Steyr Fahrzeugtechnik AG & Co. KG.

:confused:

ChadS
07-16-2004, 06:36 AM
http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/nav/index.html?http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/0_0_www_bmwgroup_com/9_produktion/9_2_agiles_netzwerk/9_2_1_produktionsnetzwerk/9_2_1_16_graz.shtml

LeucX3
07-16-2004, 07:30 AM
If i'm not mistaken, they also build some Benz's and Chyrslers?

harplayr
07-16-2004, 07:55 AM
I just saw a TV show on the SPEED channel about the X3. They said the X3 was the first BMW that was manufactured in a non-BMW plant. I was surprised.Yes, BMW didn't have plant capicity to roll out the X3, and didn't want to wait some years to build a new plant, so they are assembled in Austria. The X3 is still a 100% BMW design, built to their specifications, and has the same BMW power plant and X-Drive as found on the X5 and other BMW's.

As an owner of an X3 I can assure you that the build quality is as good or better than previous BMW's I have owned which were asembled in "BMW" plants.

For me this is a complete non-issue.

LeucX3
07-16-2004, 08:06 AM
Yes, BMW didn't have plant capicity to roll out the X3, and didn't want to wait some years to build a new plant, so they are assembled in Austria. The X3 is still a 100% BMW design, built to their specifications, and has the same BMW power plant and X-Drive as found on the X5 and other BMW's.

As an owner of an X3 I can assure you that the build quality is as good or better than previous BMW's I have owned which were asembled in "BMW" plants.

For me this is a complete non-issue.
Do you have squeaks and rattles?

jw
07-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Ahhh... Graz... I know it very very well. I used to work for a German company who had R&D in Graz. Many a drunken nights spent there. :D

cantona7
07-16-2004, 11:43 AM
I can't speak from an owner's perspective, but I did drive an X3 3.0 6-speed for about 40 miles as a recent volunteer driver for the Ultimate Drive. Prior to this, my only impression of the X3 came from the horrible review that Car and Driver gave it, and my own feeling that I wasn't crazy about the styling. That said, I came away extremely impressed with the X3. I found the ride extremely comfortable while being sporty at the same time. Interior fit and finish seemed pretty good as well. However, there was a rattle coming from the rear cargo area that was very audible at highway speed. This car had over 11,000 miles on it--probably all of it as an Ultimate Drive mule with hundreds of hours of abuse under its belt, so bear that in mind. If I had the spare cash lying around for a second car, I'd probably go with one.

SARAFIL
07-16-2004, 11:44 AM

No squeaks and rattles in ours!

cantona7
07-16-2004, 11:57 AM
Hey Sarafil, saw pics of your new X3 in the other thread--beautiful! :thumbup:

SARAFIL
07-16-2004, 01:16 PM
Hey Sarafil, saw pics of your new X3 in the other thread--beautiful! :thumbup:

It's actually my father's... I'm still driving the 'ti.

I really like the X3. I hadn't spent much time behind the wheel of an X3 with SP prior to getting this one. Despite negative reviews that claim the car has a harsh ride, I think it drives just fine, and is no more harsh than my 'ti or our 325i, both with SP.

cantona7
07-16-2004, 01:25 PM
Agreed. I don't know where these allegations of a harsh ride are coming from. I found the X3 very comfy--but then again, I'm coming from a Ci with 18"s which I find perfectly comfortable. The X3 certainly doesn't feel floaty or cushy like just about all the SUVs I've ever been in. IMHO, it's a very well-executed car that will only get better as BMW continues to tweak it over the course of its lifecycle--despite how I feel about its exterior styling.

harplayr
07-16-2004, 02:14 PM
Do you have squeaks and rattles?Nope.
If I turn the radio and fan off, and really listen for it, sometimes I hear a "click" near the window area when going over a rough spot. This car is MUCH quieter than my 325I was. As I stated above, I have found the build quality to be excellant. :thumbup:

tonydma
12-16-2004, 10:08 AM
Nope.
If I turn the radio and fan off, and really listen for it, sometimes I hear a "click" near the window area when going over a rough spot. This car is MUCH quieter than my 325I was. As I stated above, I have found the build quality to be excellant. :thumbup:

I recently purchased an X3 and I too hear the click or squeaking near the window area when going over a rough spot. Has anyone found out what is causing it or how to fix it? Other than that I have had no other problems with less than 1000 miles on it.

LmtdSlip
12-16-2004, 11:27 AM
Just read the Consumer Reports review of the X3 and they said the suspension was too jarring and that it will be softened on the 2005 models. :dunno:

gojira-san
12-16-2004, 01:46 PM
Agreed. I don't know where these allegations of a harsh ride are coming from.People who used to own Buicks or Oldsmobiles? :confused: