PDA

View Full Version : Collision Warning System

XZLR8
12-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Does anyone have specific information on the Collision Warning System? I found the following on a European BMW site, but am not sure if the same applies to our cars or not. I appreciate any insights.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/connecteddrive/2010/safety/drive_assistance/collision_warning.html#more

Approach control warning with Brake Activation.

You are not alone on the road. You also have to pay attention to the behaviour of other road users. But, of course, you can’t concentrate fully on everything around you all the time. So what happens, for instance, when the vehicle in front of you suddenly brakes at the very same moment as you are distracted?

BMW ConnectedDrive offers effective assistance at all times. When approach control warning is activated and a vehicle ahead of you suddenly brakes, your BMW reacts immediately. In stage 1, it sends you an optical warning; in stage 2 – if you haven’t reacted – an acoustic signal calls your attention to the situation. And if you still haven’t reacted and braked, your BMW will do it for you: with a deceleration of up to 3 m/s2, the system initiates a braking procedure.

BMW ConnectedDrive only takes control of your driving at the decisive moment – when accident prevention is the issue. What a wonderful feeling when you can really rely on something.

djsaad1
12-06-2012, 11:32 AM
I really have no clue, but if I had to guess I would think you would need adaptive cruise control for this to work. The model finder says the gran coupe has it but I don't see anything about it coming standard or if you need another option for it.

XZLR8
12-06-2012, 11:35 AM
I really have no clue, but if I had to guess I would think you would need adaptive cruise control for this to work. The model finder says the gran coupe has it but I don't see anything about it coming standard or if you need another option for it.

I do NOT have ACC. I was told that it's now lumped in with the Lane Departure system. I'm just not sure how it works, what it really does, and what camera/sensor it supposedly uses. I did get a "warning" flash on HUD when I was changing lanes, so I know it works... I just don't know the specifics. And my dealership isn't sure, either.

djsaad1
12-06-2012, 11:51 AM
The lane departure system is listed under the driver assistance package on the build site but forward warning isn't, although it is listed if you highlight the adaptive cruise control option.

This article states that the driver assistance package does include forward warning now http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/07/bmws-6-series-gets-more-power-and-a-slight-price-bump/1#.UMDn5-Q1kZ4

Do you happen to have this button in your car? http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/connecteddrive/2010/safety/drive_assistance/collision_warning.html

XZLR8
12-06-2012, 11:53 AM
The lane departure system is listed under the driver assistance package on the build site but forward warning isn't, although it is listed if you highlight the adaptive cruise control option.

This article states that the driver assistance package does include forward warning now http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/07/bmws-6-series-gets-more-power-and-a-slight-price-bump/1#.UMDn5-Q1kZ4

Do you happen to have this button in your car? http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/connecteddrive/2010/safety/drive_assistance/collision_warning.html

Good article. And yes, I have that button.

djsaad1
12-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Ok...so after 10 minutes of me being bored and really curious on how it works I figured this out. If you don't have ACC the system uses a camera mounted on the windscreen to detect the car in front of you, if you do have ACC it uses the radar based system.

XZLR8
12-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Ok...so after 10 minutes of me being bored and really curious on how it works I figured this out. If you don't have ACC the system uses a camera mounted on the windscreen to detect the car in front of you, if you do have ACC it uses the radar based system.

Thanks! Do you know if it's a warning only, or if it eventually applies the brakes?

djsaad1
12-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks! Do you know if it's a warning only, or if it eventually applies the brakes?

I read a few different things and I can't really tell, but my gut tells me no. It seems like the brakes only apply if you have ACC. This is the description of the system

Lane Departure Warning incl. camera-based Approach Warning. (Optional) Lane Departure Warning with approach warning registers lane markings at distances of up to 50 meters and at speeds above about 70 km/h. If the vehicle is likely to move out of lane, the system warns the driver with a slight vibration of the steering wheel. If the driver has activated the indicator – meaning that the lane change is intentional – no warning is given. The camera-based Approach Warning detects vehicles ahead and provides a warning when the BMW is getting too close or faces imminent risk of collision.

Below is a good article explaining how it works with ACC

http://3d-car-shows.com/2012/bmw-connecteddrive-in-the-bmw-6-series-gran-coupe/

XZLR8
12-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Thanks!

djsaad1
12-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Here is a good pic from the m6 gran coupe that shows the camera for the front alert. Haven't noticed it before

http://www.6post.com/goodiesforyou/m/m6grancoupe/sneakpreview/dsc03687.jpg

XZLR8
12-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Here is a good pic from the m6 gran coupe that shows the camera for the front alert. Haven't noticed it before

Yep, I have that...

mrjoed2
12-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Hey Guys,

Is the collision warning system discussed above apply to the 6 series coupe as well as the GC? Don't see any reference to it in the '13 brochure.

djsaad1
12-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Yes, it should be on the coupe as well. Here is a picture of a 2013 m6 coupe and it looks like it has it.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/content/image/2/0/2013_bmw_m6_coupe_australia_05_1-1108.jpg

XZLR8
12-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Hey Guys,

Is the collision warning system discussed above apply to the 6 series coupe as well as the GC? Don't see any reference to it in the '13 brochure.

I didn't know it would be on my car until I took delivery. It wasn't listed anywhere in my paperwork, either. I was told that it comes with the Lane Departure system now.

mrjoed2
12-13-2012, 08:38 PM
I didn't know it would be on my car until I took delivery. It wasn't listed anywhere in my paperwork, either. I was told that it comes with the Lane Departure system now.

Thanks. BMW is doing some unpublished bundling. The Executive Pkg includes the contrast stitched leather dash, but does not include it in the description.

mrjoed2
12-14-2012, 07:49 AM
The more I read about this the more curious I get. BMW states the '13 6 series uses a camera for speed limit info, transmitted to the instrument cluster/HUD. Is this the same camera used for the forward collision feature in cars without ACC? I know it also uses a camera for the high beam assist. Is that another separate camera as well?

djsaad1
12-14-2012, 09:46 AM
The more I read about this the more curious I get. BMW states the '13 6 series uses a camera for speed limit info, transmitted to the instrument cluster/HUD. Is this the same camera used for the forward collision feature in cars without ACC? I know it also uses a camera for the high beam assist. Is that another separate camera as well?

The speed limit info and forward alert are the same camera, the high beam assist is on the back of the rear view mirror. Here is a picture showing the high beam assist camera on the rear view mirror. This picture isn't from a 6 series, but you will get the idea.

http://www.bmw.co.za/products/automobiles/x/x1_2012/images/safety_highbeam01.jpg

mrjoed2
12-14-2012, 03:00 PM
The speed limit info and forward alert are the same camera, the high beam assist is on the back of the rear view mirror. Here is a picture showing the high beam assist camera on the rear view mirror. This picture isn't from a 6 series, but you will get the idea.

http://www.bmw.co.za/products/automobiles/x/x1_2012/images/safety_highbeam01.jpg

Thanks. I did see one 650 coupe that had driver asst pkg, and it did not have that middle button showing the 2 cars "hitting". May have been a '12 that did not have forward collision feature. I'll ask in the coupe forum if anybody with a '13 has it. And one note -it appears the rearview cameras are different designs in your pic & the the closeup of the M6 GC.

djsaad1
12-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks. I did see one 650 coupe that had driver asst pkg, and it did not have that middle button showing the 2 cars "hitting". May have been a '12 that did not have forward collision feature. I'll ask in the coupe forum if anybody with a '13 has it. And one note -it appears the rearview cameras are different designs in your pic & the the closeup of the M6 GC.

In that last pic I was just trying to show the sensor on the back of the mirror for the high beam assist, that's not a 6 series, my guess would be its a 7 series but the high beam assist sensor should be in the same place on the 6 series.

mrjoed2
12-14-2012, 05:04 PM
In that last pic I was just trying to show the sensor on the back of the mirror for the high beam assist, that's not a 6 series, my guess would be its a 7 series but the high beam assist sensor should be in the same place on the 6 series.

Got ya, Thanks

djsaad1
12-28-2012, 09:47 PM
So I got pretty close to a car in front of me today and the collision warning comes on and puts a big red car on the hud to notify me that there is a car in front of me. Not sure how that helps, if I am already looking forward I think my attention should be on the actual car in front of me not a drawing.

mrjoed2
12-29-2012, 04:59 AM
So I got pretty close to a car in front of me today and the collision warning comes on and puts a big red car on the hud to notify me that there is a car in front of me. Not sure how that helps, if I am already looking forward I think my attention should be on the actual car in front of me not a drawing.

Does the system give you any audible waring when this happens? That would seem helpful if not paying attention to the road/HUD for some reason.

djsaad1
12-29-2012, 09:04 AM
I would guess there was a sound, but it wasn't loud enough for me to remember it. I will test it again today and let you know. I wasn't anywhere near actually getting into an accident, I was just getting pretty close to him when he was slowing down on the highway.

I just thought it was a little funny that the warning is a picture of a car, when really the car in front of me is a big enough warning in itself.

Dr.Tom
01-01-2013, 11:51 AM
I've ordered the adaptive cruise control in my 650ix Grand Coupe hoping that this system will give a loud warning when your accelerarion rate indicates an impending collision with the car in front of you. That's the way the Mercedes system works when you don't have the adaptive cruise engaged; it really is a helpful alarm, especially when you are looking somewhere else. The only time the brake engages in the Mercedes,I believe ,is when the cruise control is active; but I've never tested this.

Regards,

Tom

fb88
06-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Cross reading from F30 forum searching on ACC Forward Collision Warning...
How does this system perform under the sudden fog scenario (camera based vs radar), would it be able to pick up the sudden stopped traffic and brake in time?

Also just wondering if the icon changes to a person, or a deer if that's what's in front of you... :)
Can Forward Collision Warning avoid pedestrians? (someone running across a road)

djsaad1
06-08-2013, 10:10 PM
How does this system perform under the sudden fog scenario (camera based vs radar), would it be able to pick up the sudden stopped traffic and brake in time?

Also just wondering if the icon changes to a person, or a deer if that's what's in front of you... :)
Can Forward Collision Warning avoid pedestrians? (someone running across a road)

I am yet to get to a point where it needs to brake for me, I have gotten to stage 2 where it beeps but I am usually already braking at that time.

To get pedestrian warnings you will need the night vision camera, forward collision only warns you if you are getting too close to another car.

eyeatl
06-10-2013, 08:26 AM

I have an F06 with ACC and lane departure. It responds exactly as noted in the first message on this thread. First, a red car icon shows up on the dash and heads-up display, followed by a rapid beeping sound, followed by hard brake application. I do not know how well this system will respond in fog as I have not been in that situation in heavy fog. The pedestrian warning only shows up on the I-drive screen when you have the night vision turned on (with headlights on). You can have the car coded to keep the night vision/pedestrian detection always on in the background (without headlight on) and then it will show the pedestrian warning in the heads-up display night or day.

oseldusan
06-23-2013, 12:50 PM

I have F10 with ACC, Forward Collision warning and speed limit info ( so I have radar and camera installed ) . Today during really heavy raining with ACC an FCW On, car says , that FCW system is deactivated due to bad conditions. ACC still remains On.

captainbtj
09-30-2013, 10:58 PM
Did anyone find out if the collision warning includes braking if you don't have ACC? Just got a 2014 328i M-Sport with the Driver Assistance Plus package. I have seen the visual HUD warning but not sure if I have the braking feature...the dealer didn't know. Thanks for any help.

djsaad1
10-01-2013, 09:20 AM
I had a close call the other day in traffic and the car did hit the brakes first, even though I wish it didn't. I do have ACC but it doesn't seem like it had anything to do with ACC, it was the FCW that did everything.

timmyjd
10-02-2013, 07:07 PM
I had a close call the other day in traffic and the car did hit the brakes first, even though I wish it didn't. I do have ACC but it doesn't seem like it had anything to do with ACC, it was the FCW that did everything.

Just curious--what do you mean you wish it didn't?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

mrjoed2
10-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Hey Guys,

Close to pulling the trigger on a 650 coupe, and don't see forward collision warning mentioned in the specs. I am going for the Sport Edition which has the driver assist Pkg. Is it standard on the 2013 forward?

timmyjd
10-02-2013, 08:40 PM
captainbtj/mrjoed2:

5AL (Active Protection) is standard on F06/12. It uses stimuli such as heavy braking, over/understeer, rollover and some chassis sensors to detect a potential crash. This results in some pre-crash measures (such as seat, headrest and seatbelt adjustments, window and sunroof closure). It does brake, but recognize that braking is post-crash (i.e. after impact) to prevent further crashes. It does not include a "Froward Collision Warning."

5AS (Active Driving Assistant) is part of ZDB (Driver Assistance Plus) Package, which on a 650 (but not 640) is part of the ZMS (M Sport Edition): 5AS uses the additional cameras for LDW to enhance the detection of an impending crash to provide the protection mentioned above AND includes a "Forward Collision Warning." It can brake and can provide brake support with sudden braking in addition the visual then audible pre-collision warnings.

5AT (ACC S&G + ADA)--optional--enhances the system even further by trumping the detection process using the built-in ACC radar. This also includes FCW as above and includes earlier braking as part of the ACC S&G mechanism when activated.

mrjoed2
10-02-2013, 08:53 PM
captainbtj/mrjoed2:

5AL (Active Protection) is standard on F06/12. It uses stimuli such as heavy braking, over/understeer, rollover and some chassis sensors to detect a potential crash. This results in some pre-crash measures (such as seat, headrest and seatbelt adjustments, window and sunroof closure). It does brake, but recognize that braking is post-crash (i.e. after impact) to prevent further crashes. It does not include a "Froward Collision Warning."

5AS (Active Driving Assistant) is part of ZDB (Driver Assistance Plus) Package, which on a 650 (but not 640) is part of the ZMS (M Sport Edition): 5AS uses the additional cameras for LDW to enhance the detection of an impending crash to provide the protection mentioned above AND includes a "Forward Collision Warning." It can brake and can provide brake support with sudden braking in addition the visual then audible pre-collision warnings.

5AT (ACC S&G + ADA)--optional--enhances the system even further by trumping the detection process using the built-in ACC radar. This also includes FCW as above and includes earlier braking as part of the ACC S&G mechanism when activated.

Thanks very much - exactly what I was looking for. BMW does not mention the FCW at all on their website under ADA or in any brochures. Glad to know the 650 Sport edition get it.

djsaad1
10-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Just curious--what do you mean you wish it didn't?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

It hit the brake hard then let go, I didn't expect it and my reaction was to slam on the brake.

There wasn't anything wrong with what it did, it just didn't need to do it. My foot was already on the brake and I would have been fine.

I was just worried about the car that was behind me, it ended up being ok though.

DR1er
10-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Hi, I just posted this in another thread I was following and I thought it could be helpful here as well as at least for me it was not 100% clear how each system works. Apologies if this is redundant, but at least for me, now it's very clear. Here it is

So, there are two types of collision warning:

#1: Collision warning WITHOUT braking function which it is part of the Driver Assistance Plus package. This is camera based and uses the same camera used for the LDW.

#2: Collision warning WITH braking function and for this one you need, in addition to Driver Assistance Plus, ACC with Stop & Go. This one is radar based. The system uses the same radar for the Adaptive Cruise Control and this one DOES HAVE a braking function.

The text below is copied from the document where I read this information:

"In contrast to Collision Warning with braking function, the camera-based collision warning system (5AS) does NOT automatically apply brake intervention. The acute warning does not relieve the driver of their responsibility to adapt their driving speed and driving style to the road and traffic conditions."

Hope this helps! :thumbup:

ErnestHouse
11-10-2013, 04:28 AM
You have to look hard into this. BMW websites and user manuals say one thing but the implementation may not match. Attached is an example for the MY 2014 5 series LCI. The user manual says "the intervention can bring the vehicle to a stop". On the web, the description of ConnectedDrive for when cruise control is not activated, says: "…. If you do not respond by braking, your BMW will react and brakes for you."
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/connecteddrive/2013/driver_assistance/intelligent_driving.html#activeprotection

But in the MY 2014 5 Series LCI Technical Manual, there's a chart showing that the 5 series did not get "Forward Collision with Braking Latest Version" that brakes to a standstill. It indicates it only does the hard braking.

You may want to dig into it on the 6 series. YMMV