PDA

View Full Version : BMW X3 Frame Flexing Sound??

Satish
07-17-2004, 07:43 PM
I bought a new BMW X3 3.0 2 weeks back and I love it.

One problem: I hear some frame flexing(creaking) sounds when the car tilts while getting off the my drive way or going over uneven roads, so much to the fact that passengers wonder if the doors are locked properly.

Anyone else with the same problem?? Thanks.

Desertnate
07-17-2004, 09:09 PM
What type of a sound is it? If it is a plastic like sound similar to a stack of Leggo's being twisted around it is probably only your door seals that have dried out.

My 323i makes a racket when they dry out. When it first began to happed I thought the same thing and it brought back memories of my old Pontiac whose unibody WAS beginning to flex to the point I could feel it.

However, after some advice here and a talk with my service advisor, the immediate diagnosis was a little Gummiphfledge on the door seals and the noise went away.

One of the quirks of the BMW's seems to be that those silly things dry out...never seen anything like it :tsk:

LeucX3
07-17-2004, 10:48 PM

One problem: I hear some frame flexing(creaking) sounds when the car tilts while getting off the my drive way or going over uneven roads, so much to the fact that passengers wonder if the doors are locked properly.

Yes same here. You summed it up pretty nicely.

harplayr
07-19-2004, 05:31 AM

One problem: I hear some frame flexing(creaking) sounds when the car tilts while getting off the my drive way or going over uneven roads, so much to the fact that passengers wonder if the doors are locked properly.Anyone else with the same problem?? Thanks.Under some conditions, if I have the radio and fan off, I can hear a small "click", but no rattles, and the car is MUCH quieter than my 325I was.

sfca-325i
07-19-2004, 10:28 AM

Satish, here's a test.

Try rolling down the window about an inch. The creaking noise (which sound akin to ticking) should vanish. Then, you are probably dealing with the creaking seals.

Desertnate, is there a retail source for Gummiphfledge?

Desertnate
07-19-2004, 03:33 PM

I believe it is a BMW unique product...your dealer should carry it.

LeucX3
07-20-2004, 08:09 AM
Satish, here's a test.

Try rolling down the window about an inch. The creaking noise (which sound akin to ticking) should vanish. Then, you are probably dealing with the creaking seals.

That actually worked for me. Once i cracked open the windows a bit, there was no sounds. :thumbup:

Gotta make an appt at the dealer now.

SARAFIL
07-20-2004, 06:27 PM
That actually worked for me. Once i cracked open the windows a bit, there was no sounds. :thumbup:

Gotta make an appt at the dealer now.

I've started to hear a faint squeek, and I plan on having my service department look at it when I get a chance. There is a service bulletin out on the issue; it blames the meeting of the door seal material and the door frame/roof panel. The fix involves cleaning the mating surfaces of the door seals on all doors with BMW Silicone Remover, and applying "Carbaflo" to the covering of the door seals.

The Silicone Remover is PN 83 19 9 407 906, and the "Carbaflo lubricant" is PN 83 23 0 309 627

LeucX3
07-20-2004, 09:36 PM
I've started to hear a faint squeek, and I plan on having my service department look at it when I get a chance. There is a service bulletin out on the issue; it blames the meeting of the door seal material and the door frame/roof panel. The fix involves cleaning the mating surfaces of the door seals on all doors with BMW Silicone Remover, and applying "Carbaflo" to the covering of the door seals.

The Silicone Remover is PN 83 19 9 407 906, and the "Carbaflo lubricant" is PN 83 23 0 309 627
Great info. You rock. I don't think i'll need it, but do you have the Service Bulletin number?

Satish
07-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Hey All

I'll keep you all posted on if Gummiphledge works. I was also told by the BMW Customer Relations that I should go see the local service manager to fix this.

I can't imagine this seal(Gummiphledge) drying out within 2 months of the car getting manufactured.

I'll try the window experiment too.

Thanks again.

sfca-325i
07-22-2004, 06:12 AM
Hey All

I'll keep you all posted on if Gummiphledge works. I was also told by the BMW Customer Relations that I should go see the local service manager to fix this.

I can't imagine this seal(Gummiphledge) drying out within 2 months of the car getting manufactured.

I'll try the window experiment too.

Thanks again.

Go to your BMW dealer and ask them to read a SIB 51 07 04
which tells them to clean the flock covered door seal
that is on the doors top edge - clean it first
with 83.19.9.407.906 BMW Silicone Remover and
let it dry . Then apply 83.23.0.309.627
Cabaflo lubricant to the flock covering
on all four door seals. No additional
treatment is necessary after this
application - such as drying,
polishing the roof...etc

(thanks to Creighton @ BMW of Demerest)

SARAFIL
07-22-2004, 04:00 PM
Go to your BMW dealer and ask them to read a SIB 51 07 04
which tells them to clean the flock covered door seal
that is on the doors top edge - clean it first
with 83.19.9.407.906 BMW Silicone Remover and
let it dry . Then apply 83.23.0.309.627
Cabaflo lubricant to the flock covering
on all four door seals. No additional
treatment is necessary after this
application - such as drying,
polishing the roof...etc

(thanks to Creighton @ BMW of Demerest)

Uh, look three posts above yours... :confused:

sfca-325i
07-22-2004, 04:44 PM
Uh, look three posts above yours... :confused:

Just providing the bulletin #.

LeucX3
07-28-2004, 08:27 AM
So i take my car in yesterday to get three things taken care of (flexing sound, auto lock, flashlight) and everything's done great without a problem.

Then as i'm waiting for them to bring my car up, i notice they drive 7 of their X3's into the service bay. I wonder and ask what it's about but they of course don't know. However i saw on the repair record that they had to call someone to find out about the flexing sound and what to do about it. I think after they recieved info about the service bulletin, they decide to do that on all their X3's.

I just think that it's pretty funny that they obviously had not done that before and they're doing it now after i bring my car in for that issue. Gotta give it to them though, at least they're doing it and not waiting for those cars to be delivered and brought back because of it or have angry customers.

rred8748
07-28-2004, 09:23 PM

------------

I have same creaking problem, any luck with yours

Satish
07-29-2004, 09:41 PM
------------

I have same creaking problem, any luck with yours

No so far, Last I heard from the dealership (BMW of MountainView) is they were to set up an appointment last Tues to bring the car in but that never happened.

I am planning to call the Service Manager directly tomorrow to sort this out, hopefully I can.

The sales guy who sold me the car is not aware of the service bulletin. LeucX3 was your dealer aware of the bulletin and knew what to do or did you had to explain? How long did it take to fix the car?

TOOBER1
07-30-2004, 08:02 AM
[im having the same problem!!! i have this annoying clikin sound, and it really drives you crazy. as much as it is samll, my x3 is 4 days new and i cant stand it! i need to have a dealer look at this...i cant take it...do all dealers know about it and whats going on...? how long it take them to fix it? what else shoudl i know?

LeucX3
07-30-2004, 08:32 AM
No so far, Last I heard from the dealership (BMW of MountainView) is they were to set up an appointment last Tues to bring the car in but that never happened.

I am planning to call the Service Manager directly tomorrow to sort this out, hopefully I can.

The sales guy who sold me the car is not aware of the service bulletin. LeucX3 was your dealer aware of the bulletin and knew what to do or did you had to explain? How long did it take to fix the car?
He hadn't heard of the problem before i brought mine in. At first I wasn't too sure about that, but when i picked my X3 up after work i saw that they were bringing all the X3's on the lot into the service bay (probably to fix that issue). It says on my work order that they called their tech support number and the people there told them to do exactly what Sarafil posted above.

Someone else posted the TSB (SIB) number, so if your SA is unclear what to do, give them that number.

LeucX3
07-30-2004, 08:35 AM
[im having the same problem!!! i have this annoying clikin sound, and it really drives you crazy. as much as it is samll, my x3 is 4 days new and i cant stand it! i need to have a dealer look at this...i cant take it...do all dealers know about it and whats going on...? how long it take them to fix it? what else shoudl i know?
I realize it's annoying and shouldn't be there, but it is. Just be calm when speaking to your SA and provide the TSB number above and i'm sure they'll be able to get the information. I just chalk it up to first year production issues.

Satish
07-30-2004, 10:06 PM
I finally got a appointed for Aug 9th since I am out the whole of next week.

sfca-325i
08-02-2004, 10:40 AM

Satish,

I am bringing my X3 into BMW of MV tomorrow for the creaking, the grugling and the new flashlight. Also having an aux input installed. I'll give you an update once I get the SAV back.

sfca-325i
08-03-2004, 10:51 AM
Dropped the X3 off this morning at BMW MV. Took an hour to process through service and get my "alternate transportation".

SA was Steve Belli and he knew all about the seal treatment, moonroof check valve and courtesy glove box installation (for models predating a certain production date).

Unfortunately, appears I may be the guinea pig. Steve said they may need my car for more than 1 day as he wasn't aware that their service shop had done any of the three bulletins.

LeucX3
08-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Dropped the X3 off this morning at BMW MV. Took an hour to process through service and get my "alternate transportation".

SA was Steve Belli and he knew all about the seal treatment, moonroof check valve and courtesy glove box installation (for models predating a certain production date).

Unfortunately, appears I may be the guinea pig. Steve said they may need my car for more than 1 day as he wasn't aware that their service shop had done any of the three bulletins.
Maybe you should recommend that they do it on an X3 on the lot first. :)

sfca-325i
08-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Maybe you should recommend that they do it on an X3 on the lot first. :)

LOL

:rofl:

sfca-325i
08-03-2004, 01:22 PM
BTW, I should mention that when I discussed the fix for the gurgling noise that comes from the moonroof, Steve was aware of the recommended fix but cautioned me that he wasn't sure that the check valve would fix the problem.

sfca-325i
08-05-2004, 10:26 AM
OK,

picked the X3 up this morning and here's a report:

Car and key programming

A bit miffed because dealership has its "own" sheet for programmable features which only includes a few of the supposed X3 programmable features. So, while I got DRL, auto lock and key/driver seat and mirror features enabled, they wouldn't enable some of the other features. Wonder if I should cite this on the post-service survey. Seems like false advertising to me if the owners manual says this can be done.

Creaking

Supposedly, one of the two solutions is on national back order. They applied the one that they did have in stock. It's shown as PN 83-23-0-309-627, which should be the Carboflo. Workorder also shows "cleaned door jambs with silicon remover" so it appears that the scope of work called for under the bulletin was performed. The MOST important thing is that THE CREAKS ARE GONE.

Sunroof drain tubes

Installed one way vales per service measure B5420004 (PN 54-13-7-060-976).

Glove Box Flashlight

They installed the glovebox flashlight kit DC 9999010100 LO 6199000 1FRU.

dlflyboy
08-08-2004, 09:34 PM
I've had my X3 for about 3 weeks now. And mine does this exact same thing. I was wondering if it had lost some structural integrity since I had the panoramic roof.

dlflyboy
08-08-2004, 09:41 PM
So i take my car in yesterday to get three things taken care of (flexing sound, auto lock, flashlight) and everything's done great without a problem.

Then as i'm waiting for them to bring my car up, i notice they drive 7 of their X3's into the service bay. I wonder and ask what it's about but they of course don't know. However i saw on the repair record that they had to call someone to find out about the flexing sound and what to do about it. I think after they recieved info about the service bulletin, they decide to do that on all their X3's.

I just think that it's pretty funny that they obviously had not done that before and they're doing it now after i bring my car in for that issue. Gotta give it to them though, at least they're doing it and not waiting for those cars to be delivered and brought back because of it or have angry customers.

Are you suppose to get a flashlight in the glovebox with the X3? I didn't.

sfca-325i
08-09-2004, 06:50 AM
I've had my X3 for about 3 weeks now. And mine does this exact same thing. I was wondering if it had lost some structural integrity since I had the panoramic roof.

If you're replying to the creaking service, it's an issue between the door seal and the door frame. For some reason, there is too much friction between the door seal and the door frame, causing a catch/release clicking/creaking noise. The service bulletin prescribes treatment with Carbaflo, a lubricant designed to reduce friction. Whether this will be a long term fix remains to be seen, as the bulletin was just released.

sfca-325i
08-09-2004, 06:51 AM
Are you suppose to get a flashlight in the glovebox with the X3? I didn't.

New service bulletin that came out less than a month ago. Upon request by customer, service departments are authorized to install a rechargeable flashlight in the glove box. You HAVE to specifically request the flashlight.

Satish
08-09-2004, 09:46 PM
New service bulletin that came out less than a month ago. Upon request by customer, service departments are authorized to install a rechargeable flashlight in the glove box. You HAVE to specifically request the flashlight.

:thumbdwn: I went to the BMW of MV and met SA - Raiford Arnold, he had no idea about the problem but he went and met some technicians and came back saying the techs know exactly what needs to be done but do not have the material needed to fix it this week and that I have to wait until next week until the materials arrive from Germany:bawling:

sfca-325i good to know that your car flex sounds are gone btw way what are the other things you got done? Car and key programming( mine has door locking/unlocking and trunk/hatch release ) and Sunroof drain tubes( what was wrong here - my car has the moonroof too ).

courtesy glove box flash light installation sounds good.

As I drive more I am suprised to know that there is no indication if doors are not closed properly and that the doors do not autolock when you turn on the ignition.

sfca-325i
08-10-2004, 06:29 AM
[snipped]

sfca-325i good to know that your car flex sounds are gone btw way what are the other things you got done? Car and key programming( mine has door locking/unlocking and trunk/hatch release ) and Sunroof drain tubes( what was wrong here - my car has the moonroof too ).

courtesy glove box flash light installation sounds good.

As I drive more I am suprised to know that there is no indication if doors are not closed properly and that the doors do not autolock when you turn on the ignition.

The sunroof drain tubes can collect water. As you drive a higher speeds, the wind entering the bottom of the drain tubes can cause the water to gurgle, which can be heard inside the car, while you drive. The fix is the installation of one-way valves. They let water drain out but, supposedly, won't let air up into the tube.

BMWMV can activate the autolock - which locks the doors when you begin driving. IIRC, it locks the doors at 5mph.

LeucX3
08-10-2004, 07:55 AM
I agree that it sucks there's no door open indicator. But i would not want the doors to lock as soon as i turn the ignition on. That's too Japanese for me.

BMWNA
08-13-2004, 11:03 AM
Iím with BMW of North America, LLC. Iím sorry to read of your concern about your X3. If you and your BMW center would like our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117, and mention Reference #200422600242 so that we can help you more efficiently. If you prefer, you can email us through the Ownersí Circle at www.bmwusa.com.

TOOBER1
08-14-2004, 11:42 AM
I Too Have Experienced The Same Problem With The The Door Seals. However The Clicking Noise Is Totally A Different Problem. I Notice The Same Noise Also. I Took Mine In For Service On The Door Seals, All Fixed And Better Now. I Mention The Clickin Noises When I Took It In. They Said They Would Drive It To See...
However, I Havent Noticed The Clickin Noise At All For The Last Few Days. Im On My Way Now To Pick It Up And Ill Try To Let You Know What I Find Out. I Also Wanted To Know If There Was A Guarantee On The Free Flashlight?

Satish
08-14-2004, 10:01 PM
Iím with BMW of North America, LLC. Iím sorry to read of your concern about your X3. If you and your BMW center would like our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117, and mention Reference #200422600242 so that we can help you more efficiently. If you prefer, you can email us through the Ownersí Circle at www.bmwusa.com.

Vatkens, I asked for assistance and following is the email response with reference number 1-184833941, all replies to this email bounched back.

"Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding your BMW. Regrettably, I cannot provide you with the information you are requesting from this location. Please contact the service manager at your authorized BMW center who is best equipped to address this matter.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,

Anthony Salla
Customer Relations and Services
Representative
"
Do you think this can still be addressed better by calling again??

dlflyboy
08-16-2004, 12:20 PM

I took mine into for service today and they ordered some kind of lubrication for the noise.

Satish
08-30-2004, 09:34 PM
:thumbup: Finally, got this resolved. All 4 doors treated per S.I. 51 07 04, had to involve the BMW NA customer service. Thanks for all who helped me with the related information. :rofl:

ROM3000
09-04-2011, 01:58 PM
I realize this is an old thread, but I'd like to know if this (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-rubber-care-stick.html?productid=1z-einszett-rubber-care-stick&channelid=FROOG) product is a good substitute for the BMW Gummi Pflege. If not, does anyone where I can still purchase the BMW version? Thanks.