PDA

View Full Version : Live in a condo - what do you think?

gdsf2
12-18-2012, 11:49 AM
I need to wash my new X5 and I live in a condo where there is no ability to wash my car. We also do not have any self-wash bays anywhere near by us.

I want a clean car and want to have a nice finish. But washing my car is not a hobby of mine, so I don't want to invest a lot of time or money. I am not a detailing enthusiast, but I do care enough to avoid a regular automated car wash.

Here is my plan:

STEP 1: Pretreat wheels with einszett wheel cleaner spray (using a wheel brush) and bug remover as needed.
STEP 2: Use a touchless car wash cheap setting (no spray wax etc) to get grit off car.
STEP 3: After touchless car wash, spray properly diluted ONR on wet car and wipe with microfiber cloth (changing cloth as needed) until dry (doing one panel at a time).
Step
OPTIONAL STEP 4: Every couple months, apply Optimium Car Wax Spray and treat black vinyl and and tires with einszett Vinyl Rubber Care and Protectant.

And, once a year get car professionally detailed with clay bar, polish, wax...

So, does this sound OK? Should step 3 be done with a bucket of ONR instead of a spray bottle of ONR?

Thanks all!

Jerry

ish
12-18-2012, 12:01 PM
No hand car washes near you?

gdsf2
12-18-2012, 12:06 PM
No hand car washes near you?

Yes, but $40 a pop.

rdorman
12-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Nothing really wrong with the plan... I do something similar.

- Rinse with a pressure washer if REALLY filthy
- ONR, two bucket method. I really don't think the spray idea is the best of ideas compared to their recommended process
- ONR at QD strength as a drying aid

OCW, while I have not used it, is a very good product that reportedly is trim safe. I never treat my plastic/vinyl trim differently. I use Collinite 845. Trim looks like new.

Since all my wheels are clear coated, I treat them just like the paint. Same wash/wax procedure with the addition of a wheel brush. I just do them last with a dedicated spounge. I only reach for wheel cleaner if the normal procedure is not enough. I prefer rubber cleaner (makes a big difference for the protectant) and then a seperate protectant but with that said, Einszett makes good stuff.

Johnz3mc
12-18-2012, 06:36 PM
The only thing I was going to add would be a two bucket method for your ONR step but Rdorman beat me to it,

chris328
12-19-2012, 11:32 AM
i used to have 2 huge 10 gallon kerosene containers that I would fill with water and lug to the nearby industrial park, wash my car in some remote section of one of the parking lots in the shade

I have my own garage now, but still no hose, so I still use the containers.

also, i havent washed my car in 4 months but it is still clean enough to detail. I accomplish this by keeping a clean set of microfiber cloths in the trunk and dusting my car off every 20 miles of driving or so. Just dont re-use any section of the microfiber and you'll be fine. Of course over time this results in small scratches, so eventually if you want a perfect finish youll have to go back and detail those out. But if you are real careful and dust the right way they are only noticeable under a detailing light at certain angles.

gdsf2
12-19-2012, 11:46 AM
ONR directions only mention 1 bucket. I understand the logic behind the 2 bucket method, but I thought the ONR product "resolved" the grit problem. I would think after a pre-wash one bucket would do the trick.Anyone using ONR with a single bucket? :confused:

It would be 1/2 the work to fill and transport 1 filled bucket instead of 2. ;)

Jerry

Johnz3mc
12-19-2012, 03:52 PM
yup, 1 bucket would be easier but it's a new X5 and you're young and frisky. :)
Why not minimize your chances of swirls?

Westie1
01-25-2013, 08:21 PM
email me and come by wash bay open.

I am in Arlington