PDA

View Full Version : Tire Rotation not covered new BMW ??

joea9146
07-19-2004, 10:00 AM
I dropped the car off this morning for its First BMW service 04 525, it has 10k miles.
I asked the dealer if they will be rotating the tires as part of the service and they said no... its not covered by the BMW service plan.... He says BMW does not feel this is part of normal maintanace. The dealer will rotate the tires for $37.... What the hell is this all about....Can not believe tire rotation is not covered anyone else experience this yet ??
I thought all maintenance was covered to me this is normal up keep.

Kaz
07-19-2004, 10:11 AM
Tire rotation is not a recommended practice by BMW, alas it is not covered.

Salvator
07-19-2004, 10:29 AM
Tire rotation is not a recommended practice by BMW, alas it is not covered.From my owner's manual...

Tire rotation

Between the axles

The tread wear patterns at the front end differ from those at the rear – the actual

patterns will vary according to individual driving conditions. In the interests of

safety and maintaining optimal handling characteristics, tire rotation is not

recommended. If a proposed interaxle rotation of tires is based on economic considerations,

one should consider whether the costs for the rotation are likely to be recaptured

by any increase in the service life of the tires that might be realized. In

principle, tire rotation should be performed at short intervals (maximum

3,000 miles/5,000 km). Consult your BMW center for more information.

Should you decide to rotate the tires, it is essential to comply with the

following:

Rotate tires on the same side only, since braking characteristics and road

grip could otherwise be adversely affected.

Following rotation, the tire inflation pressure should always be corrected.

If different tire sizes are mounted on the front and rear axles (refer

to page 127), the wheels may not be rotated from one axle to the other.

joea9146
07-19-2004, 10:36 AM
Hi Salvator

Thanks for all the details....

I can see if you have staggered size tires where rotating would not work...
But these are the same size tires.... I have always rotated tires in the past with out problems . Usually require a rebalance but good to go after that. Would like to see how others weigh in on this.... Guess I should read the manaul about tire upkeep.... :)

Thanks
Joe

Kaz
07-19-2004, 10:45 AM
From my owner's manual...

Tire rotation

Between the axles

The tread wear patterns at the front end differ from those at the rear – the actual

patterns will vary according to individual driving conditions. In the interests of

recommended. If a proposed interaxle rotation of tires is based on economic considerations,

one should consider whether the costs for the rotation are likely to be recaptured

following:

Hmm, that's not what it says in my E46's manual.

markseven
07-19-2004, 11:14 AM
From my owner's manual...

Tire rotation

Between the axles

following:

My manual (printed in 99) says the same.

-Mark

Salvator
07-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Hmm, that's not what it says in my E46's manual.My manual is for a 2001 325Ci... I pulled an Adobe version of it off of the BMW Owner's Circle website... What does yours say that is different from mine? :dunno:

andy_thomas
07-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Hi Salvator

Thanks for all the details....

I can see if you have staggered size tires where rotating would not work...
But these are the same size tires.... I have always rotated tires in the past with out problems . Usually require a rebalance but good to go after that. Would like to see how others weigh in on this.... Guess I should read the manaul about tire upkeep.... :)

The two FWD products I have owned in the past had manuals which recommended rotating the tyres. The 4WD and RWD cars - Subaru and BMW - either recommended not rotating at all (Subaru), or stated that you can if you want, but it's pointless (BMW). I suspect the rotation thing might be more useful in FWD cars, where the front tyres have to do the steering and braking and accelerating, and would normally wear considerably more quickly.

Desertnate
07-19-2004, 03:53 PM
I have always found my tires to wear pretty evenly and not needing a rotation. Based on the manual I wouldn't rotate anyways.

Rgol
07-19-2004, 07:28 PM
I have a '99 528i/5 Sport with 8x17 wheels and tires on all four corners. I rotate front to back and visa versa every 3,000 miles. My local tire dealer usually rotates for free unless I require a balance.

I have always rotated my tires and am unsure why BMW does not recommend it. I must admit I get tired of paying for new rubber every 15,000 miles, so i try to get the most out of them.

Given the rear camber on the E39, the inner tread on the rear wheels gets worn out quick, so that is why I go with 3,000 miles versus 5,000. Regardless, I have not had any adverse issues with this practice.

Robert

crete
07-19-2004, 09:08 PM
On my '03 540 I have had wheel shimmy problems and brought the car into the dealer to check it out. Dealer couldn't determine any wheel shimmy problems, but found low tire pressure.....I then ask if they could check the tires for proper balancing and the dealer responded by saying that after 4000 miles tire balance and rotation are not cover under warranty. I had 5100 miles on it at the time.

joy
07-20-2004, 12:10 PM
I asked the salesman specifically if tire rotation and balancing was included. He said yes. I was stupid enough not to read the actual coverage before I bought. Apparently it's not.

However, I found out if you are a Costco member, they will rotate your tires for free regardless of where you bought them from. They do charge a small fee for balancing if you didn't buy the tires from them though.

shabbaman
07-20-2004, 08:36 PM
Brian from Precision Tire here in North Jersy is adamant about tire rotation. When I brought up the issue of uenven tire wear patterns between the front and rear axles he countered that it's insignificant.

BTW, Brian is the guy that Dave Z and Ben from Rogue recommend so his opinion counts.

That being said, I don't rotate my tires :dunno: . Really I can't wait for my Primacy's to wear down this season so I can mount GSD3's next spring :thumbup:. I'll probably start rotating those :D

redbeemer
05-12-2005, 10:07 PM
If you are a Costco member, they will rotate your tires for free regardless of where you bought them from. They do charge a small fee for balancing if you didn't buy the tires from them though.

My Costco no longer works on tires not purchased from Costco and installed by Costco (not balancing, not rotation, not puncture repair, nothing).

tmoody
05-13-2005, 12:12 PM
very interesting since, in the back of the manual where it lists what is to be done by each service, that the dealer is to rotate tires if the customer requests it to be done.
i had my tires rotated at every BMW oil change (taken off of the rim and switched to the other sides) on my 330i sport with staggered wheels. even when i replaced the conti's with goodyear f1's they rotated at Inspection 1.
this may be a dealer service issue.......

Ågent99
05-13-2005, 12:13 PM
Interesting...with staggered sets, it is A LOT more involved to properly rotate tires. They did that for free for you? Helluva dealer if so....