PDA

View Full Version : Scratches on high gloss black interior trim

btinl
12-20-2012, 05:13 AM
I just took delivery of my new 335 and noticed that in direct sunlight there are a lot of micro scratches on my high gloss or piano black interior trim. I'm guessing that the dealer used a dry or dirty cloth when wiping the trim down before delivery. What kind of polish can I use to buff these out?

dboy11
12-20-2012, 09:20 AM
I just took delivery of my new 335 and noticed that in direct sunlight there are a lot of micro scratches on my high gloss or piano black interior trim. I'm guessing that the dealer used a dry or dirty cloth when wiping the trim down before delivery. What kind of polish can I use to buff these out?

You want a chemical based polish, one that has no abrasives in it...Paint cleaners are chemical based polishes...Megs Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is one OTC...If you want to get something that you can use over time on your car on all plastics.

Novus (available online) is my go to in detailing for this. It comes in three levels of cut..the one that you are looking for is the #2 polish..the #1 is a gloss product but not needed.

The application is key in getting results...if you concerned with getting polish on the other parts tape the plastic off ( I don't just be careful) the use a COTTON rag for rubbing in the polish..use a small amount about half the size of a dime and rub in with some pressure until the polish breaks down this means it's diminished and done it's job. :)

btinl
12-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks just ordered some from amazon.

drew0020
01-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Did Novus #2 work? I also took delivery of a 335i with Piano black 4 days ago and it has scratched so easily. Very disappointed because I am very careful with my car.

dboy11
01-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Did Novus #2 work? I also took delivery of a 335i with Piano black 4 days ago and it has scratched so easily. Very disappointed because I am very careful with my car.

I have over 30 years in detailing experience and the Novus will work. That said don't beat yourself up with the door plastics..They are extremely soft finishes..

drew0020
01-04-2013, 01:31 PM
I have over 30 years in detailing experience and the Novus will work. That said don't beat yourself up with the door plastics..They are extremely soft finishes..

My scratches are on the center console near the nav button. They are so obvious after 4 days and nothing has touched the console at all. I am really regretting the high gloss black, but I will definitely take your advice not to stress to much.

I also have a small dime size scratch on the bumper. I'm taking that into the dealer tomorrow, but its pretty tiny and only noticeable in sunlight, but its right at a spot where I always see it when I use the trunk. Otherwise car is perfect!

Thanks so much for your help!