PDA

View Full Version : Time for the X3's first service visit...

SARAFIL
07-20-2004, 06:20 PM
I need to make a service appointment to have a few issues addressed with our X3, so I figured I'd share my issues/discoveries for all on the board to see/discuss.

1. Car/Key Programming that was never done. Looking over the X3-specific form that I was able to pull from bmwtis.net, I've noticed that there is an option for "convenience closing by remote control" to be activated-- this is the feature that we're normally not given in the US whereby you can close all the windows/moonroof by remote (just like you can open them). I've heard this was not available in the US, but seeing it on the form is making me want to see if it can actually be done on a US-spec car. Also, I plan on activating the "visual confirmation upon locking/unlocking without alarm installation".

2. Squeeking from front door area on passenger side-- car was fine for a while, but we just noticed a faint squeek from the top part of the passenger side door, mostly when the car is turning/under load. Note that the noise is very faint, and you have to be totally silent and have no noise in the car to hear it. There is a service bulletin that describes this symptom and says it is coming from where the door seal meets the body. I'm going to have them look at it and see if the bulletin solves the problem.

3. Where's my f'ing flashlight?! ;) As per a recent bulletin, I'm going to request my free glovebox mounted flashlight. There is a bulletin, but the dealer will only install it if you ask, so don't expect them to volunteer this info.

I'll post updates once I've had someone look at the car and give me an idea of what I'm looking at.

What, you didn't think I was actually having problems with the car, did you? ;) Other than the very minor squeeking and the minimal inconvenience it has caused, I think the X3 is fantastic. This is a car you have to drive for a while to truly appreciate all it's many virtues.

LeucX3
07-20-2004, 09:35 PM
I think the X3 is fantastic. This is a car you have to drive for a while to truly appreciate all it's many virtues.
I wholeheartedly agree.

:thumbup:

sfca-325i
07-21-2004, 08:23 AM
Sarafil,

That's a real coincidence. I also need to schedule a service appt for the exact same three items PLUS the addition of the moonroof drain check valve (eliminates noise at highway speeds caused by water gurgling in the drain tube). If you want to check out the latter, try the following:

wash the car.
Drive to nearest highway.
Keep all windows closed.

There's a thumping noise that seems to come from the lighting array.

The noise will stop if the moonroof is opened into vent position.

LeucX3
07-21-2004, 02:30 PM
I made my appt for next Tuesday for all three items. Except for #1 I just want it to autolock when i drive off. :mad:

SARAFIL
07-21-2004, 03:53 PM
I made my appt for next Tuesday for all three items. Except for #1 I just want it to autolock when i drive off. :mad:

I've got a hectic schedule this week, so I'm just going to have them do the key programming and check the squeak tomorrow (they've also got to replace one of the windows, but that's another story, and not due to any defect with the car). I set up my appointment today, so I wouldn't be able to have the flashlight socket in by tomorrow unless I rushed it, which I think would be foolish.

Sarafil, that's a real coincidence.

Kind of funny that both of the X3s are 3.0 models in Bluewater Metallic, also! ;)

TOOBER1
07-30-2004, 09:05 AM
Im Having The Same Squeak Problem. I Also Want To Knw How I Tell Them Theyhave To Intall The Flashlight? Is There A Officail Memo? Also With The Lights Advisign You If It Is Locked/unlocked, It That Available Also?

Thanks!

LeucX3
07-30-2004, 09:40 AM
Im Having The Same Squeak Problem. I Also Want To Knw How I Tell Them Theyhave To Intall The Flashlight? Is There A Officail Memo? Also With The Lights Advisign You If It Is Locked/unlocked, It That Available Also?

Thanks!
There's another thread about the squeek/flexing sound; the door seals need to be lubed. And if i remember reading correctly, i believe there is a post about the flashlight issue having bulletin. Or was it that you specifically have to ask for it, otherwise they wont' give it to you. (read Sarafil's first post, item #3).

rod
08-04-2004, 03:20 PM
1. Car/Key Programming that was never done. Looking over the X3-specific form that I was able to pull from bmwtis.net, I've noticed that there is an option for "convenience closing by remote control" to be activated-- this is the feature that we're normally not given in the US whereby you can close all the windows/moonroof by remote (just like you can open them). I've heard this was not available in the US, but seeing it on the form is making me want to see if it can actually be done on a US-spec car. Also, I plan on activating the "visual confirmation upon locking/unlocking without alarm installation".

Were you successful with the key programming (convenience closing and visual confirmation)?

Is there any place that we can get the X3 specific form (dealer no help)?

SARAFIL
08-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Were you successful with the key programming (convenience closing and visual confirmation)?

Is there any place that we can get the X3 specific form (dealer no help)?

Visual confirmation is activated, but I didn't have a chance to get them to look at the convenience closing.

dlflyboy
08-08-2004, 09:44 PM
Visual confirmation is activated, but I didn't have a chance to get them to look at the convenience closing.

I bought my X3 about 3 weeks ago and had some programing done. But, the dealer said that they didn't have the software out yet to program the lights to flash when you lock/unlock. Is this true????

SARAFIL
08-09-2004, 03:06 PM
I bought my X3 about 3 weeks ago and had some programing done. But, the dealer said that they didn't have the software out yet to program the lights to flash when you lock/unlock. Is this true????

I have it programmed on ours, so I don't know what they're talking about.

sfca-325i
08-09-2004, 03:26 PM
Here is BMWNA's official response re which car/key programming options are supported on US vehicles (in reply to my complaint that I couldn't get all the programmable options enabled):

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding the
dealer-programmed options on your new X3. I apologize that the dealer is not
able to program all of the options that you would like. Your Owner's
Manual is used for vehicles delivered in many countries, so many of the
features and options are not available for vehicles delivered in the
U.S.

Therefore, I researched the additional options you submitted and found
the following results:

(8) Visual confirmation of locking (without alarm install) - Option not
available in the U.S.
(9) automatic activation of rear window defroster - Option not
available in the U.S.
(10) acoustic warning if ignition key remains in the ignition lock -
Standard feature of the vehicle
(11) automatic adjustment of driver's seat and exterior mirror position
for each key - Programmed with key memory by your BMW retailer
(12) angle of downward tilt of mirror on passenger side - Option not
available in the U.S.
(13) convenience opening - Available
(14) locking and securing - Option not available in the U.S.

Please be aware that your Owner's Manual does include a disclaimer and
notations that some options are country specific and may not be
available. However, your authorized BMW retailer can provide a form to select
all of the features which you would like activated.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or
call us @ 800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9am to 9pm, Eastern
Standard Time.

Sincerely,

Casey Roach
National Customer Relations and Services
Representative

beware_phog
08-09-2004, 09:43 PM

Do you have THE FORCE or something? How come your dealer and no others? Can ours call yours?

Jingorm
08-10-2004, 05:20 AM
Do you have THE FORCE or something? How come your dealer and no others? Can ours call yours?

My dealer, Passport BMW in MD, was able to program the the lock/unlock light signals for me.

johntchow
08-10-2004, 11:11 AM
my dealer told me that since i dont have the alarm installed that i cant have the unlock/lock notification because they dont have the updated software. ive requested them to add program the notification twice, once on delivery and again about a month later for its first service visit. they told me the same thing each time...

SARAFIL
08-10-2004, 03:07 PM

I work there... I know the right people. ;)

rod
08-10-2004, 04:07 PM
I work there... I know the right people. ;)

Unfortunately, that seems to be what it takes to get a straight BMW answer or even a list of the X3 key programming options. All I know for sure is my dealership's sales and service hate the internet because sometimes we find answers (through helpful people like you) and force them to do a little work.

dlflyboy
08-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Unfortunately, that seems to be what it takes to get a straight BMW answer or even a list of the X3 key programming options. All I know for sure is my dealership's sales and service hate the internet because sometimes we find answers (through helpful people like you) and force them to do a little work.

I called my dealer's service dept and they are now telling me that they could do the visual confirmation all along, but the service manager stopped them from programming it because it was messing up other programming. He said that if they programmed it the windows might start opening by themselves while I was driving. Whatever! :mad:

sfca-325i
08-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Page 1

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/sfhondapilot/x3%20car%20key%20programming/attachment6page1.jpg

sfca-325i
08-10-2004, 08:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/sfhondapilot/x3%20car%20key%20programming/attachment6page2.jpg

sfca-325i
08-10-2004, 08:59 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/sfhondapilot/x3%20car%20key%20programming/attachment6page3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/sfhondapilot/x3%20car%20key%20programming/attachment6page4.jpg

dlflyboy
08-11-2004, 06:28 PM

I went into the service dept today. They are now going to program my visual confirmation. :D

johntchow
08-12-2004, 12:37 PM
I went into the service dept today. They are now going to program my visual confirmation. :D

hey did you get it programmed today? if so, how did you convince the dealer to do it? ive asked my dealership 3 times and they tell me they cant do it. thanks!

dlflyboy
08-14-2004, 07:03 PM
hey did you get it programmed today? if so, how did you convince the dealer to do it? ive asked my dealership 3 times and they tell me they cant do it. thanks!

I have an appointment this monday. I just went inside and told the SA that I wanted it programmed and I didn't care who I had to go through to get it! Then he said after I spoke to him on the phone the day before the service manager put out a memo saying they could do the programming.

dlflyboy
08-16-2004, 11:59 AM

I got my visual confirmation programmed today. :thumbup:

johntchow
08-16-2004, 02:03 PM
I got my visual confirmation programmed today. :thumbup:

sweet and it works? and to confirm you dont have the bmw alarm installed, right? which dealer did you take it to? this way i can reference your dealer when my dealer tells me they cant do it.

thanks

TOOBER1
08-27-2004, 09:46 AM
sweet and it works? and to confirm you dont have the bmw alarm installed, right? which dealer did you take it to? this way i can reference your dealer when my dealer tells me they cant do it.

thanks
i went to crevier in santa ana, ca. they did the lights for me. i dont have the alarm too. the light also flashes on the rear-view mirror red so it 'acts' like its armed for security. i want to know if the windows can go up from the remote, not just down...

sfca-325i
08-27-2004, 12:23 PM
According to page 2, above, there is an option called convenience closing, which is supposed to close the windows and moonroof by holding down the lock button on the remote.

As delivered, the option is disabled.

Haven't yet read of anyone successfully getting a dealer to enable this option.

johntchow
08-27-2004, 12:30 PM
i went to crevier in santa ana, ca. they did the lights for me. i dont have the alarm too. the light also flashes on the rear-view mirror red so it 'acts' like its armed for security. i want to know if the windows can go up from the remote, not just down...

sweet thanks toober. i might just call crevier and see if they can do it for me also. my dealer is in alhambra about 30 miles from me and santa ana would be closer. thanks for the info.

johntchow
08-27-2004, 12:41 PM
sweet thanks toober. i might just call crevier and see if they can do it for me also. my dealer is in alhambra about 30 miles from me and santa ana would be closer. thanks for the info.

i just called crevier and they told me since i didnt buy it frm them they would charge me $115 to reprogram

ProcyonB
08-27-2004, 03:20 PM
(12) angle of downward tilt of mirror on passenger side - Option not
available in the U.S.

Uh, I have that on my X3 ... I guess Arizona isn't in the US anymore?

SARAFIL
08-27-2004, 03:53 PM
i just called crevier and they told me since i didnt buy it frm them they would charge me $115 to reprogram

Well, there is usually a bill to be paid when your car is worked on. Many times it gets paid for with a warranty claim from BMWNA. On stuff like key/car programming, BMW won't pay for the service visit. So, the bill usually gets paid by the sales department of the dealership. I'll bet the service department at Crevier will have one hell of a time giving the sales department a $115 bill to service a car that wasn't even purchased from them. If you had bought the car there, they'd suck it up and pay the bill.