BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

09 750Li on the Track

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  chrischeung 
#1 · (Edited)
I know the last time i told you guys that i took my 750Li to a BMW driving course, most thought i was full of s#*t.

Well, I went back, this time some instructors wanted video proof of what this car was doing and they put a camera in my car for one of the events.

if you go here
you will see a shortened video of my fun on the course. if you skip to about the 3 min point, you will see me running down and passing a 3 series and then a porshe.

then we went to the skidpad, here is me on the skidpad

the one lesson i did learn was not to use the mcguairs spray to protect your wheels from brake dust. We started measuring the temps of the brakes and wheels when I came off the track, 2-3 mins after exiting the track we were measuring 600 degrees!!! on the wheels. it melted the mcguairs and baked on the brake dust!! took me 8 hrs to clean my wheels! The windshield washer fluid resevoir is right behind the wheel well, and all my fluid boiled out!!

my son was one of the few people capable of running me down, but that will teach me for buying him a 330i with the ZHP package to go racing with me. I will show the video of him finally catching me on the last lap of the last day of the racing.

we will be going back!! I am already planning my revenge on my son, (can anyone spell Dinan??)

See less See more
#4 ·
Did you consider dedicated track rubber and wheels?

#6 ·
That is the one lesson i did learn, next time out i am going with a better tire, thinking about going up one size tire on my car 255/40 front and 280/35 rears, i think i can get michelin super sports in that size. do you have any recomendations?

#5 ·
why not a M car

i drive this on the street 361 days a year, i have raced it 4 days a year, don't have $$ for a toy car. Besides if I had an M car, why not a ferrari? The point was to find out what this beast could do, and it was a lot more than anyone expected. BTW, i did pass a few M3's out there(they could not have been great drivers). Next time i am definitely getting better tires, i only had michelin pilot sport plus as all season tires on it. did you notice the center cap flying off my wheel on the skid pad? the wheels got so hot i ended up loosing both front center caps!

#7 · (Edited)
If you're going through tires every handful of track days, then it may make sense to go to track rubber that lasts a lot longer, and is stickier. Get some cheap wheels. Both from an economic and performance stand point. That's my theory. I've read about some track rubber that is borderline legal for street (so you can drive to the track), but can't recall which, and don't have any real experience.

Another option is to just get a cheaper track car - something like a Scion FR-S, Mazda MX5. I think the Mini Cooper is also a choice. Something much lighter and more nimble (and hopefully enjoyable).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.