PDA

View Full Version : Brake dust issues.....

318-Bmw
07-29-2004, 08:03 PM
Does anyone use meguiars' hot rims spray? Is this really ABSOLUTELY SAFE ON ALL FINISHES? I'm thinking about buying it, but I don't trust it on my wheels just yet. Any insights would be great!

tgravo2
07-29-2004, 08:37 PM
No spray works good I find. Only wiping will clean them. Do what I did. Spend $75 for some dustless pads.

318-Bmw
07-30-2004, 07:15 AM
I thought about doing that but, from what I hear dustless brakes sqeak alot.

Alex Baumann
07-30-2004, 07:19 AM
Detailing Department :thumbup:

Mohegan29
07-30-2004, 10:58 AM
I got the Hawk Performance HPS street pads which are great. hardly dust. Put a set on the rears after putting on a front set. Could go about 2 weeks without noticing any dicoloration of the wheel color.

The Akibono's are probably the better of the pads but even though they list them as now being made for the e46 330i, it appears they are not yet stocked. Check into them, though, they might be out.

As for sqealing, you have to seat (burnish) new brake pads. simple to do. 8-9 stops from approximately 30-35 mph aplying modferate pressure, then 3-4 hard stops from about 40 - 45 MPH. Then go inside and have a beer to let them cool down for 15 minutes

No squealing. No dust. No problem :thumbup:

The Roadstergal
07-30-2004, 11:30 AM
I ran Metalmasters. Very low dust. Put anti-squeal on the backs of pads when you change them.

I haven't found a wheel cleaner that works better than Griot's green Wheel Cleaner. Spray on, wipe off, no elbow grease required.

Malachi
07-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Axxis Delux Plus Pads have been the solution for me. I used to have to clean my wheels every couple of days but not any more. I got mine from Zeckhausen Racing. (http://www.zeckhausen.com/) Call him if you have any questions.

I also wax my wheels with Klasse SG to keeep them glossy and cleaner. I also clay them which keeps them looking silver.

Spectre
08-02-2004, 06:56 PM
I haven't found a wheel cleaner that works better than Griot's green Wheel Cleaner. Spray on, wipe off, no elbow grease required.P21S gel will take off a lot of the brake dust with a spray on, rinse off application. This is helpful for some of those areas on certain wheels that are a PITA to wipe off. Otherwise, I agree, Griot's Wheel Cleaner works fine.

I still need to try a bit of clay on those few specks that nothing seems to take off.

mwette
08-02-2004, 07:32 PM
I use Hot Rims, a wheel brush and water. Seems to work fine and I haven't noticed any problems with the paint or brakes.