BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW 750Li (F01) or the New body style Audi A8?

7K views 56 replies 18 participants last post by  PREDATOR 007 
#1 ·
I am planning to upgrade my vehicle. Currently I am driving an Audi A8 2004. I narrowed down my selections/choices to BMW 750Li (2010 or younger) or stick with Audi and go for the new body Style of A8 (2011 and younger). I had a test drive with both. The BMW is quicker and sportier but lacks the Quatro and the luxurious interior that Audi provides. It felt like BMW is also going the same direction as Mercedes is going in terms of cutting the corners and saving money/cost by using not all so excellent of materials. In terms of price both vehicles are in about the same range. Honestly I am struggling with what way to go. A lot of standard options that Audi provides like sliding window shades, automatic trunk all-wheel drive (Quatro), excellent/luxurious materials used for interior are extra options on the BMW and most of the times they are not all available together in the same car, besides for every 10 BMW 750Li out there you see only 2 Audi A8L!
Has anybody any suggestions in this respect. Which of these cars has a better resale value and causes less trouble in future, especially after the manufature warranty is over?
Thank you,

#2 ·
When I purchased my 2011 740Li I was in a cost cutting mode and there were no pre owned A8L's out there. I usually buy pre owned and my 7 came available as an untitled loaner. I like my car but regret not having waited another 6-8 mos for a used 2011 A8. Agree that the interior of the A8 is superior and the car is less common.

#9 ·
We've got an '11 750 Li Xdrive with all the options that the OP is talking about. Car has been very good, though it is on its way to the shop for the first time for a cel. Handles great in the snow/ice for a land yacht on winter rubber.

The A8 is a great car too but , up here at least, they are significantly more expensive and the dealership/service experience is flat out terrible.

Buy what makes you happy. There is no "bad" luxury flagship when discussing the 7/A8/S-class/LS. :thumbup:

#5 · (Edited)
We had a 2007 750Li, and I think A LOT of materials in the pre-2009 7 Series feel of a higher quality and more luxurious that the current 7er. Of course the 2009+ 7 Series has many benefits over the last model, but interior material quality is not one of them. I hated!!! the cheap material on the sun visors, the B Pillars and the floor mats were cost cutting at it's worst!!!

#7 ·
Thank you all

I thank you all very much for your comments. I think I would go for the A8L. It way take a while but good things come to people who wait!
Thank you,
M.

#8 ·
I couldn't get an an Audi if I tried. The dealers here are the worst in the industry. After driving an A8 for a few hundred miles I will say its a nice car, but its not a BMW. I think they are striving hard to come up to the level of BMW/MB but they are not quite there yet. I don't particularly like the A8's interior, and the outside is as boring as it gets. The seven comes with X drive, so I don't see the argument vs the A. Yes it costs more, but that's so people can have a choice. My car came with power shades, x drive, and all the goodies and I got it for less than you could buy an A8 for. And for that you get a twin turbo V8 and 4 years free maintenance (which will kill you at MB or Audi).

And let's face it- drive an A8 and no one will know you are there, not even the valets- the 7 commands respect- even my buddy with an S65 admires my car...

#11 ·
the 7 commands respect- even my buddy with an S65 admires my car...
More people think it looks like a 5 series than commanding respect.

#10 · (Edited)
I considered the A8 when I got my 750i xDrive MSport and I have to admit that I was quite impressed with the Audi. I thought the A8 had the better-looking interior (even though the 7's is very nice) and much better technology. The 7 is much more powerful and looks-wise, for me, was no contest for the 7. My choosing the 7 came down to the fact that I thought it was the better looking and most powerful of these two executive sedans. Also, quite frankly, I worried that the tech in the Audi would prove too confusing/distracting. I really believe that the 7 Series is the better car. Hope this helps.

#22 ·
Was reading the story of that huge gem robbery at the Brussels airport. They mentioned that the culprits used an A8L with fake police lights, as the A8L is what Brussels security forces typically use. That's a hell of a car for a government agency to be using. Are they that much cheaper abroad?

#27 ·
The same price in USD here is Euro there with the difference that in Europe whole bunch of extra tax and other additional fees added to that kind of luxury car. I think less then 1% of people in western Europe can really afford that kind of car.

#24 ·
I just bought a new 750Li somewhat loaded except LED lights and X-Drive. I drove the A8 and have a friend with one. Nice ride. I didn't like the suspension compared with the 7. It seems to me to be similar to an airbag type suspension. The 7 allows some changing up of it's suspension.

#29 ·
Ceap materials used in BMW

I took another closer look at the 750Li, this time it was an X-drive 2010 with sport package, etc. Truely after exiting my current car (2004 A8L) and entering that BMW I had the feeling that I am in a KIA or Toyota or simmilar interior. I understand the ride of a Bimmer and the great eingine and turbo charger it has but ultimately the horse power and the troque of a car is for the initial 45-60 seconds of the ride, how about the rest of the crousing time spending inside a car with rather cheap interior?!

#31 ·
I took another closer look at the 750Li, this time it was an X-drive 2010 with sport package, etc. Truely after exiting my current car (2004 A8L) and entering that BMW I had the feeling that I am in a KIA or Toyota or simmilar interior. I understand the ride of a Bimmer and the great eingine and turbo charger it has but ultimately the horse power and the troque of a car is for the initial 45-60 seconds of the ride, how about the rest of the crousing time spending inside a car with rather cheap interior?!
Say what??? All this time I thought you were serious about this comparison but, in truth, you're playing with yourself inside your '04 Audi and having fantasies. Good luck with that.

#38 ·
At least the guy is honest. There's nothing to be ashamed of driving an older car. I personally love some old cars - the way switchgear was implemented etc. There's a certain amount of nostalgia as well. My dream car - a 1990s Testarossa/512TR. Of course some things are probably best kept as dreams.

#46 ·
The next generation 7-Series has finally been caught testing. Been waiting a longtime for this, considering that was it designed by the Fall 2011 and BMW usually them out running afterward within 9-12 months. Read more below from G Motors UK:

Quote:
BMW has started testing the next-generation 7 Series (G11) and here we have the very first spy photos.

The prototype is heavily disguised, with temporary lights. The front door looks very short, while the rear door seems longer compared to the current model.

The facelift of the 7 Series was just revealed last year and as the development is in very early stages the new 7 Series is not expected to hit the market before 2015.

#53 · (Edited)
The reason I pointed to that link is so that you can get an overall understanding of margins. It's about 10% overall, give or take. So for BMW to be making $25K on a $75K car ex-factory would mean a margin around 33%. Taking into all costs, marginal and fixed, that is unlikely compared to an overall margin of 10%. To reiterate, this is ex-factory, not including profit for the dealer and the distributor.

I'm taking it to mean when you say that BMW offers a $25-30K discount, that they do this and still make money.

#54 ·
The reason I pointed to that link is so that you can get an overall understanding of margins. It's about 10% overall, give or take. So for BMW to be making $25K on a $75K car ex-factory would mean a margin around 33%. Taking into all costs, marginal and fixed, that is unlikely. To reiterate, this is ex-factory, not including profit for the dealer and the distributor.
We're definitely talking different price points. I'm not sure what you're cars cost down there. But a full load 550 up here is $90K and the 750 is $130-145K list. For them to blow them out at $105K EVERY year at model clear out time leads me to believe they have margins in the low to mid teens. There are lots of buyers in this segment that simply don't care to negotiate and pay close to, if not msrp.

The margins that the reports show are a result of sales volume. Their bread and butter is the 3/5 and can make up for lower profit margin with higher volume.

If anyone has any actual data to refute either of our points of view, I'd love to see it. ;)

#57 ·
I agree MO, the simple lines in the hood of the 3 & 5 series looks much better than the plain hood of the current 7's. I would still like to see the fenders flared out a bit and show a wider more aggressive stance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.