PDA

View Full Version : Car cover/other options?

sun3301
08-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Hi Guys-

I'm fairly new to this forum so I hope my question is appropriate to this section of the forum and it's not been asked too many times.

I have a 2001 330ci that I keep well detailed in the summer months. It's a garaged car at home and I used to park in a underground garage in my old job. After a lay off, I'm now finding new work where I have no choice but to park outside. So the car is exposed to sunlight here in the sunny Silicon Valley.

I am curious about how to protect the interior, I'm not that concerned about the paint as it's well waxed and maintained. (Or maybe I should be?) I tried an Ultimate Car Cover from Bavarian Autosport, but found it's fabric too light. It blows off during removal and is awkward when putting on. It's not my first car cover, I had a cotton one on another car years ago, so I know how to put one on and take off. I sent it back and I am looking for an alternative.

I know about the BMW/Noah one and I can pick one up at my local BMW dealer. But at this new job, it's a small group and there are 2 other BMW owners amongst the group. But they don't care as much, so it attracts attention when they see me covering it! I've thought about those foil front windshield things, but I never felt they were good enough to really protect the interior. They just cover the dash area. (Maybe get two and use one in the back window too :) ) My main concern is protecting the carpet from fading and the leather from cracking and just heat build up.

Any insights appreciated, thanks!

Sun

MMME30W
08-01-2004, 12:46 PM
How about a OEM front wind shield visor, and maybe an OEM rear manual sunshade?

Search for rear+sunshade, I have one that I need to get around to installing after I heard about Scott_zhp's install...

sun3301
08-01-2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the rear sunshade tip. I'll look for those posts. I didn't realize you could add a rear sunshade, I thought it was only a factory installed that was powered.

That and the front sun shade could be okay!

jetstream23
08-02-2004, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the rear sunshade tip. I'll look for those posts. I didn't realize you could add a rear sunshade, I thought it was only a factory installed that was powered.

That and the front sun shade could be okay!

I'd agree. If you have tinted windows that typically block 99% of UV rays, you may only need a front sunshade given that all the other windows are likely tinted. I actually find its better to park pointing INTO THE SUN and using a reflective sunshade in the front windshield. The car is much cooler than if the sun was setting on the sides or behind the car even though those windows are tinted. Good luck !

sun3301
08-02-2004, 08:44 AM
Hey Jetstream-

If I understand your post, you mean to park front end into the sun in the morning and as the sun sets in the afternoon, the rear of the car faces the sun?

Regarding the tinted windows, I assume when you refer to the factory glass that's on the car. I can't find any info as to whether it was an option, so I figure that's standard?

I like the idea of using a reflective windshield sunshade, if that's really effective without a rear sunshade.
Thanks, Nelson

TOGWT
08-04-2004, 11:59 AM
~ One manís opinion / observations ~

The evaporation of acidic moisture is the key element to paint film surface damage, and any steps taken to eliminate its occurrence will alleviate this problem. It should be noted that both Sulphuric and Nitric acids (released from the burning of fossil fuels, inc internal combustion engines) are also contained in fog and snow, even when they are a dry acidic compound once they alight on a paint surface and mix with precipitation (dew or rain) they will start to erode the paint. The sun heat further accelerates this problem.

Protect your investment with a car cover, outdoors, car covers offer unequalled protection against ultra-violet radiation (UVR) they are water resistant and provide protection from acid rain, pollution, bird excrement, tree sap and wind blown debris.

Used for long-term vehicle storage, either in the garage or outdoors, car covers protect against accidental scratches and dings from passers-by, car doors, lawn mowers, sporting equipment, bikes and pets. For relative ease of handling choose a cover with a fabric weight of between 4-7 oz /sq. yd

~ Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

Hattori Hanzo
08-04-2004, 01:42 PM
I have a Black on Black 330Cic in Bakersfield where it gets up to 100's. The Noah cover is great! It takes me about 5 minutes to put on. I dust the car first, put on cover, then lock. Pacific BMW had the best price for the cover and lock. Also, the ladies at work like to watch me put the cover on. They think I am crazy...then of course I am about my baby.

BrianS
08-23-2004, 08:42 AM
Car Cover World has a huge selection.

http://www.carcoverworld.com/Default.asp

BoyScout
08-23-2004, 09:40 AM
I highly recommend the Weathershield HD cover from Covercraft. It comes with a 5 year warranty, and I have been very happy with it. I have a Noah cover for my jeep, and it lasted about 2.5 years before disintegrating needing to be replaced (which Covercraft did under warranty at no cost to me).

The best prices I found for the Covercraft covers are at the following site:
http://www.autoanything.com/category.aspx?c_id=10004&sc_id=-1&se=view_all&kc=O343

DRWWE
08-23-2004, 01:49 PM
In addition, be sure to use UV protection on your interior vinyl (like 303). It will help keeing it looking new.

:drive: