PDA

View Full Version : Snow Tire Rental

Gluhwein
02-22-2013, 03:07 PM
I am planning a family Christmas trip to Bavaria this year and have already booked a mid-size wagon with Hertz. For an additional 115 Euro I've added snow tires. But I'm wondering if I'm getting ripped off. Yes, we will be doing a lot of driving in and around Innsbruck, Bressanone, Garmisch, Berchtesgaden, etc. I am well aware of German law mandating the use of snow tires in the mountains and know they are necessary. However, whenever I book with Hertz I never request GPS but 90% of the time the car already has it. Wouldn't all car rentals in Munich already have snow tires installed? Are they gonna swap tires for those who do or don't request winter tires? For peace of mind I'll probably pay the money but if anyone can assure me (John Lance ?) that all the cars on the Hertz lot are gonna have winter tires anyhow, I'd be a fool to pay $150 for a freebie.

NateXTR
02-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Dollars to donuts, the rental has "all-season" tires on it already and you will be fine for most primary and secondary road driving. If, however, your travels will have you far off of the beaten path, I'd consider getting the snows. Sounds like a fun trip!