PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner for discolored wheels

325i RocketGuy
08-02-2004, 03:28 PM
OK, so I've read all the threads about brake dust already, but they don't really address my problem -- my wheels have already been discolored due to brake dust. Despite my fairly regular washings, I now have coffee-colored stains on my wheels in areas where the brake dust used to collect (like next to the balancing weights).

I tried one commercial spray-on cleaner (I think it was Turtle Wax) and found it to be useless. I also tried some stuff I had around the house, like Windex and Goo-Gone, with no luck. Rather than buy one bottle of all of the products mentioned around here looking for something that works, I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a product that will remove the stains?

jaisonline
08-05-2004, 11:41 AM
i had the same problem last yr and posted the resolution on this forum. u have to get that $16 bottle of ps2 wheel cleaner. it takes a little bit of elbow gease but it gets the rust colored stains out w/o damaging the rim's surface/clearcoat.

goo gone/off and similar products didn't work.

Elwood
08-05-2004, 11:58 AM
i had the same problem last yr and posted the resolution on this forum. u have to get that $16 bottle of ps2 wheel cleaner. it takes a little bit of elbow gease but it gets the rust colored stains out w/o damaging the rim's surface/clearcoat.

goo gone/off and similar products didn't work.
My father's Audi had 2yrs worth of those stains. I tried everything just like you.

P21s alone wont cut it without some heavy scrubbing (not exactly good) What worked well was a clay bar. A little tedious, but worked wonders.

I did try p21s AND the clay bar and it worked REALLY REALLY WELL untill the clay got saturated with soap and turned to mush. Only managed a 1/4 of a wheel with a quarter sized chunk!

jaisonline
08-05-2004, 06:42 PM
oh, yeah. it's called p21s. anyway, i didnt have to scrub that hard. i even applied it with paper towels and not a rag. it didn't hurt the wheels. anyway, some stains came back over the past year so i'm due to use it again.

TOGWT
08-06-2004, 04:47 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Using a synthetic sealant (Klasse SG ) may help avoid future problems with brake dust stains

~Hope this helps ~

* justadumbarchitect so I question everything *
Experience unshared is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

Tanning machine
08-06-2004, 10:07 AM
oh, yeah. it's called p21s.

Did you use the gel or the spray? I use the spray and it's great for regular brake dust. But it doesn't seem to get the really carbonized stuff or take out the coffee stains that seem to have developed. Does the gel?